PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's all good now!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingeneri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Tue May 25, 2010 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
MorganS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes not the average player. Hes very quiet and doesn't know much. He has a private teacher, who gives him difficult inversions of chords that arn't needed on the context of the songs. He doesn't have great time, but I havent really heard him play. We have 1 plug with 2 outlets, one for the piano, one for the amp. Good for me, the amp only has one input. I feel kinda bad though, cuz I'm hoging it. I just don't think he can keep up. Were playing "Hi-de-hi-de-hi-di-hi! Ho-de-ho-de-ho-de-ho! Minnie the Moocher, but were playing dm6 to a bb7 to a a+ or something like that. Hes total confused, because he was told by his teacher to play the chords wrong, and at different ends of the fret board. He asks me questions like can I do this, and I say yeah, you could but try this. The problem is I have to be playing the chords in time with the accents while looking at the piano, and the teacher, while listening to the drums. I don't have to to look back at him, and see if hes playing it right. not to be mean, but no one hears him anyway. I just tell him to play the bass notes, like a low d to bb to a. I tried to play chords that wouldn't step on his feet, but no one could hear him, and we dont have a bass player, so it sounded like I broke a string. To much for me to do , than look at what hes doing.

I tell him cool things to do like, play d note on the low a (or e) for 3 quarter notes and than slide into the octive on the g (or d).

I try to keep it interesting for him.he doesn't have an opinion so i cant tell if hes happy sad confused or what. I cant tell. SO when they get a power strip to put another amp into, it will be interesting.

The on e thing that really sucks is if he can comp, the teacher wont be as eger to let me solo. That wories me.

Morgan
hanni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did your leader/teacher give you sheeds or instructions what everybody have to do that you can play together? did she keeps care that your behavior is like brothers and sisters? did she let space for everybodys own solo?
......and a selfteached can do the same like others, they just need a bit more time to find out things others been told from thier teachers
MorganS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanni wrote:
did your leader/teacher give you sheeds or instructions what everybody have to do that you can play together? did she keeps care that your behavior is like brothers and sisters? did she let space for everybodys own solo?
......and a selfteached can do the same like others, they just need a bit more time to find out things others been told from thier teachers

...no... we have lead sheets, but there rythmn sheets. Mine and his are no different. She cares more about the saxes than us. no ones soloed yet.

We will see what happens

Morgan
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry. If you can solo, you'll probably be the only one in the band who can at this point.
There might be one or two horn guys who give it a go, but most of them
will probably be shy and if you can solo, the teacher will find out pretty fast and I'm sure you will get chances to solo plenty. You might have charts
that only have very small solo sections, too. Especially for the rhythm section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: