PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best pickup replacement for jazz guitars
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went through the exercise of selecting "the" humbucker for my archtop. I wanted something that would give me as authentic a 50s PAF humbucker tone as possible. after much reading etc. I settled on a jason lollar imperial humbucker. I've had it in there now for almost two months and have run it through several amps and so forth, put it through the paces. the honeymoon is over, but I still love it. absolutely gorgeous. I've got too many guitars and this one is right up there with my favorite tones, certainly the best humbucker tone I have (edging out an old les paul I have). too often the girth and sparkle are tuned out by overwinding. this one seems to strike that perfect balance between having nice thick, well-defined mids, and keeping a brightness that lends clarity to chords and cut to single-note lines. worth every penny. Cool
tonyteech

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: FAO Mango Tango Reply with quote

Hi
This is Tony - you obviously know me - do I know you and from where
Regards Tony
ingeneri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmr415 wrote:
ingeneri wrote:
Here is my response on the last Epi Emperor thread. I use floating Ken Armstrong humbuckers on my Emperor and my D'angelico NYL2. You can get these at either http://www.wdmusic.com or http://www.archtop.com

"Definitely would go with the Epi. Sorry to the Ibanez owners, but I find those Artcores to be plain ugly. Second the Emperor has a great acoustic quality despite being a laminate, and you can't upgrade that. The pickups suck, so be prepared to get something for about $100. I also got the Kent Armstrong, and it makes this guitar sound twice as good.

My myspace page has four tracks with the Emperor through a Fender Deluxe reverb. http://www.myspace.com/ingeneri

That said, I'd recommend checking out the D'angelico Excels. They go for $800, already have the Kent Armstrong, grover tuners, and a nice heavy brass tailpiece that really deepens the tone. Check them out at http://www.jhalemusic.com"

The Armstrong pickups at WD Music are licensed from Kent but made in Korea. The ones at Archtop.com are hand made by Kent. Big difference in price and a huge difference in tone

I totally agree, the archtop.com models are superior to the Korean imports that come stock on D'angelicos, Strombergs, and Eastmans. I have the hand-made Johnny Smith replica on my NYL2, and I just bought the mounted 12 pole position PAF for my Heritage Super Eagle. Both were an improvement over the stock pickup.

Anyone try the Kent Armstrong floating single coil from archtop.com?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: