PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupidest...thing you've done
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorganS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Stupidest...thing you've done Reply with quote

I'm hanging out in the hangout area now. So I need to feel better because I have done some stupid things, and this should be fun. So anything music related that you have done that wasn't smart post here.

I will start

1. Took off all the strings on my first guitar which didn't have a fixed bridge. I was playing with the wah wah bar. I never got the guitar back to the way it was supposed to be. Then I gave it away.

2. I just did this today (don't shun me). I wanted to see the chassis of my rwin reverb, and some people had asked me to see some pics. I was told if you take the screws of the metal strips on the top of the amp, the top of the amp will come off. P.S it wont! The screws go straight through the chassis and at the bottom of the chassis there are 4 screws. I realized that the screws werent comming out. I was getting angry. I looked on the bottom, and saw the chassis was haging on the last thread of the screws. It took my about an hour to figure out how to get the chassis back in the right position.

So I hope that you guys will have some good stories to tell. I hope you guys don't think its lame.

So take it away.

Morgan
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once lent a classical guitar to a "friend" of mine who straight-away
took it to a pawn shop and sold it. When I started asking for it back, he
started making excuses. I finally figured it out because he also took
someone else's trombone. So then, every time I saw him, I asked for
my guitar just to see what wild thing he would think up. It got funny to
see him sweat! Luckily it wasn't an expensive guitar.
cadence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an outdoor gig the people I was playing with and I were packing gear back into my car. I put my guitar in the trunk, drummer took the guitar out to put his drums in and leaned it against the back of the car. I get in to back up the car without shutting the trunk or looking behind (only backing up a few feet)...CRUNCH ran over my Benson.

That was 10 years ago so I'm over it and now it's a great story Laughing Also has made me not use soft cases unless I'm walking...I probably would have realized what was happening soon enough to save the guitar if it was in it's hard case.

The fretboard, only part that was not broken somehow, is now proudly over my fireplace.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I would have to say selling off my '70s Gibson Les Paul & Explorer custom shop for a fraction of what they were worth for survival money many years ago.

I've done so very many stupid things over the years, it's hard to qualify what is the stupidest? Laughin my arse off

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most stupid thing I ever did was to not play a gig for over 20 years. Rolling Eyes
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out Igiro. Girls are nothing but trouble!
L4sleeko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Yeah, especially that Nezumi! Laughing Wink Laughing
steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold 70 original Star Wars figures at a car boot sale for 50 pence each just before migrating to oz. Ouch ouch ouch!

What do you mean that's not musical?
nezumi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L4sleeko wrote:
Smile Yeah, especially that Nezumi! Laughing Wink Laughing

who?
me?

nezumi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quit piano lessons when i was 8
not take music in high school
let the head stock get cracked on that old gibson hollow body bass

pfffffft!
hanni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was 20 years old i was just looking like 15, in germany it was never a problem to go in music clubs and watching an interesting band, but in spain i get in problems, there was no one at the dor, frinds and me where going in but inside was a guy who keeps care, he kicked me in the as and throw me out with the words kid go home in your bed, this gorilla donīt let me in again, i spend the night at the beach between the hippies, and my frinds makes jokes the next day, it was total stupid.......
robbro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: stupidest thing Reply with quote

when I was building and repairing instuments in the 70's we had a 1860;s martin in the shop that needed a whlole new lower bout ,which we had done , a big hassel to match the rosewood I remember. the guitar was sitting on a bench , by the door, one of the kids slammed the door while leaving the shop, a band saw blade hanging coiledup on the wall came undone ,flew across the bench and knocked the guitar half way across the room . it broke the other side we repaired it and sent it home . needless to say the band saw blades were moved elsewhere. thanks morgan this is a fun thread Bob
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narrowing this down will be difficult...

sold a silver face fender twin because it was too loud and too heavy. i mean, yeah, twins are loud and heavy. but i'd like that amp back.

once did a setup for a friends guitar a little while before a gig-- he was a tele player like myself, and the guitar needed a truss rod adjust-- just a smidge. well, you gotta take the pickguard off them old teles, and i lost one of the screws...so instead of just getting things back together, i spent 20 minutes looking for this useless little screw, and barely got the job done in time for his band to go on, so i didn't have time to stretch out the strings...and i didn't tell him...so he's on stage, goes into the intro solo of whatever tune he was playing-- and then goes wickedly out of tune. that first tune was such a trainwreck people were walking out. i'm nobody's guitar tech but my own now...

i cut my marvelous shoulder length wavy hair for a girl about 10 years ago. let's just say she's gone now, and my hair just doesn't grow like it used to.

i bought a house 4 years ago and had some extra money left over, which i should have spent on rewiring the house. instead i bought a beautiful and very expensive leather couch...and i'm currently paying out of my pocket to get the damn house rewired.

boy, were just scratching the surface of my stupidity...
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
hanni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ mr.b
my boyfrind did the same with such and old house, donīt be worry, if the roof is on the top and donīt fly away from a winter storm and if the heating is working, you can be happy, we are always sitting here and screw around with wires and pipes, last winter we had only cold water, now since one week the same, itīs so hard to repair this and we need time to do it, that meens we have to shower cold for some weeks, i hope not the whole winter like last year
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sold a vox 1 x 12 tan ac15 for Ģ30 !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: