PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's winter, are you humidifying?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cadence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: It's winter, are you humidifying? Reply with quote

This is my first winter with a carved archtop. I have a carved flat-top that I always keep humidified, but I find it much easier to see when it is lacking humidity. The signs are so clear just by looking at it- however I don't really know what to look for on an archtop when looking for signs of dryness. The guitar feels great and sounds great but I know that the neck has shrunk slightly from lack of humidity - I can feel a little bit of the sharp ends of the frets.

I keep a small humidifying pouch under the headstock in the case but I doubt it reaches the body. And I open the case to play or take the guitar somewhere too often for a humidity level to stablize I think. I don't have that problem with the flat-top cause I rarely play it.

What do you all do about humidity? I know it's dry in my house, my hands are peeling and cracking Laughing and I couldn't stand it if my guitar started doing the same.
hanni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked im hearing the first time from such a problem and im realy live in a wet area, maybe the wood was to new when they build the guitar Shocked
gibson175

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: dry Reply with quote

This is just an anecdote from a colleague. She used to live in Darwin Australia and study at the conservatorium - its bloody hot there half the year, then bloody hot and bloody wet for the rest of the time. Everyone she knew had humidity problems with their classicals i.e. cracking etc. They all had humidi cases. Except her. Guess who had the only guitar with no problems!
In my experience, guitars are happy when treated like people. Dont leave them in the car on a hot day. You would not sit around naked in subzero temperatures either - you know, just keep the thing as comfortable as you are at all times.
Sorry to sound simplistic, and i must be honest and say I have never had a humi case - but I live somewhere pretty temperate and we only get freezing temperatures a couple of times a year, so those frozen northern winters are not something i have ever had to deal with.
Guitars are people too!
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for God's, don't leave your axe in the car overnight if you expect frost on the window! Shocked
cadence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingerpicker wrote:
And for God's, don't leave your axe in the car overnight if you expect frost on the window! Shocked

I learned that the hard way but with the opposite temp.

I had a GB10 that I left in my car, windows rolled up, on a very hot day when I went to get some lunch for a half hour. The pickguard warped cause of the heat and as you know with the GB 10...the bridge pickup is mounted to the pickguard. It didn't matter since I accidently ran over the guitar with my car a few months later.

Gibson175, I've heard that anecdote and I live by it as far as temperature is concerned. If it is too cold or hot outside I'll bring the guitar wherever I am to avoid it sitting in the car. Treating instruments like people has always worked except for humidity. My Martin flat-top had some serious dehydration - almost had a crack forming - before I learned what it needed for hydration. Luckily it is easy to see how dry they are just by looking at them which is why I'm not sure about the archtop.
gibson175

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: car crash Reply with quote

Cadence - that is a funny story! (it probably wasn't funny at the time!)
nezumi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: It's winter, are you humidifying? Reply with quote

cadence wrote:
This is my first winter with a carved archtop. I have a carved flat-top that I always keep humidified, but I find it much easier to see when it is lacking humidity. The signs are so clear just by looking at it- however I don't really know what to look for on an archtop when looking for signs of dryness. The guitar feels great and sounds great but I know that the neck has shrunk slightly from lack of humidity - I can feel a little bit of the sharp ends of the frets.

I keep a small humidifying pouch under the headstock in the case but I doubt it reaches the body. And I open the case to play or take the guitar somewhere too often for a humidity level to stablize I think. I don't have that problem with the flat-top cause I rarely play it.

What do you all do about humidity? I know it's dry in my house, my hands are peeling and cracking Laughing and I couldn't stand it if my guitar started doing the same.

i am humidifying, and how!

we heat our house with a wood burning stove which is extremely drying. i keep a steel kettle on the stove which steams around 4 litres of water into the air every day. The hotter the stove gets, the more water steamed.

gibson175 wrote:
Quote:
In my experience, guitars are happy when treated like people.

I feel that as long as i do not feel dried out, then the atmosphere is not overly dry. I do not wake up at night thirsty or with dry lips or eyes and no one has that little dry cough.
If any of these symptoms appear, i will take out my electric humidifier and let it do it's bit overnight. adding another 1-2litres of water to the air.

i do all this with my guitars in mind. My best guitar is in it's case with a Planet Waves in hole humidifier for good measure.
hanni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nezumi wrote:
cadence wrote:

i am humidifying, and how!

we heat our house with a wood burning stove which is extremely drying. i keep a steel kettle on the stove which steams around 4 litres of water into the air every day. The hotter the stove gets, the more water steamed.

gibson175 wrote:
Quote:
In my experience, guitars are happy when treated like people.

I feel that as long as i do not feel dried out, then the atmosphere is not overly dry. I do not wake up at night thirsty or with dry lips or eyes and no one has that little dry cough.
If any of these symptoms appear, i will take out my electric humidifier and let it do it's bit overnight. adding another 1-2litres of water to the air.

i do all this with my guitars in mind. My best guitar is in it's case with a Planet Waves in hole humidifier for good measure.

we need two stoves to heat up the house here, one with wood and one with gas, we have a gaspipe here, now we can use just the gas, its raining since two mounth and everything is wet realy everything, burning wood too, all the fields from the farmers are underwater, the houses are all up on a hill so we live save, the water dont comes here, we have seen the last sun weeks ago, but there is no problem with furnitures, guitars and flute
jlc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a planet waves humidifier in my acoustic, it sits down in the sound hole, the archtops get a small herco, it is a small plastic cannister with what appears to be clay in it saturate it with water, then i put a small piece of plastic from a string pack and set these in the case on top of the plastic, how well they work?????????, i have a humidifier gauge in the eastman case so i pretty much monitor the humidity by refering to it. I don't keep the heat very high, maybe 63 over night and 65-67 during the day and when i am playing. it is comfortable to me to play and record.

I have used these for about 3 or 4 years, with good results, no noticeable problems. A whole room humidifier would be the best, but i have actually run out of room, guitar work bench, amps, guitars, mics, computer recording, amps. I have walked into a music store that a had a humidifer in the acoustic room and you could really tell the difference, i may look for another smaller, good quality, quite room humidifier.

The hercos need to be resaturated about every two weeks, that is a real pain but so far it seems worth it.

peace
westerling

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've had the Ibanez pm100 beauty now for a while (btw, I adore it) but the winter is creeping in and haven't grasped this whole humidity thing. I live in Finland (google it if you don't know). Cold winters with approximately -10 to -20 outside and hot summers with 17 - 26. I usually take my guitar with me when i go to my practices and that includes me walking outside for a while. So I was wondering:

1: What happends to my guitar in these environments?
2: What is it that I want to look out for. Too dry? Too humid?
3: How to fix it?
4: Relevancy? Considering my circumstances.
5: What is the meaning of life?

-cheers Smile!
jlc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a small Hunter humidifier in Sam's Club for $ 50, placed it inside a plastic basin/container, just as a safety precaution, to contain water drips etc. the herco's are a pain to continually re saturate. i haven't had to turn it on yet, maybe this week.

peace
fws6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have one of the most expensive and best machines there is. The VENTA LW44. And I am very pleased with it. In my house during winter time (inside heating, outside freezing) the humidity drops to less than 15%. That can seriously damage wooden floors, old furniture, and vintage carved top jazz guitars.

The Venta is just perfect, it doesnt make hot mist, but it in stead works at room temerature. It cleans pollutions from the air too (so smells, dust, etc go away), is very quiet, has 10 year warranty.

And having a good humidifier is good for your personal wellbeing too. No more dry eyes or skin.

(PS I am in no way affiliated to this brand ! I am just a happy user !!)

MangoTango

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought I had, but I may have a problem with my nice new (to me) New Yorker. On the neck, on the B string (and to a lesser extent the top E and G strings) there are a less-than-true notes being produced between 10th and 12th frets. Luthier to whom I spoke reckoned that this is common in times of cold weather outside and central heating inside and it probably just needs a little tweak. Since it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a proper set-up done anyway, (have only attended to it myself since I bought it), I'm going to have this done but:-

- Should I be worried that this is going to happen again in similar circumstances?

-If so, what can I do to prevent it? Haven't had real extremes of temperature, but humidity...difficult to tell.

However, that means that I'm going to be without my baby for a fortnight Crying or Very sad . How will I survive?

Guess I'll just dig out the Epi JP and play that for a while. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: