PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of style do you play most?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volume Swell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: What kind of style do you play most? Reply with quote

I know obviously a lot of you are jazz guys, but I know some people linger around the forums that play other styles more (or maybe much more) than jazz.

I for example play rock guitar, but I do a lot of fusion stuff and a lot with electronica. Hopefully soon I'll have some music to play for you all so I don't look like the guitar newb posting questions on the guitar forum.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of different stuff. from summer 05-summer 06 it was just straight bebop non stop, with some avante minimalist stuff in there as well (I posted some here a while ago)

then from summer 06 to jan 08 i was pretty focussed on songwriting. acoustic stuff in the vein of elliott smith, joanna newsom, sufjan stevens, beatles-y i suppose. I did all solo stuff, did a DIY EP.

if I didn't live in an apartment building I'd probably play more metal Smile I think I like all kinds of metal except "heavy metal" (like pantera, metallica, slayer, etc) I really like converge, used to like dillinger escape plan, the red chord. I even get a kick out of stuff like dragon force, but I don't think I'd listen to a whole cd.Smile

since the beginning of this year I've rekindled my interest for jazz and specifically pushing my limits of musicianship and technique. trying to be able to play over tunes and put my own spin on things.
Volume Swell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
A lot of different stuff. from summer 05-summer 06 it was just straight bebop non stop, with some avante minimalist stuff in there as well (I posted some here a while ago)

then from summer 06 to jan 08 i was pretty focussed on songwriting. acoustic stuff in the vein of elliott smith, joanna newsom, sufjan stevens, beatles-y i suppose. I did all solo stuff, did a DIY EP.

if I didn't live in an apartment building I'd probably play more metal Smile I think I like all kinds of metal except "heavy metal" (like pantera, metallica, slayer, etc) I really like converge, used to like dillinger escape plan, the red chord. I even get a kick out of stuff like dragon force, but I don't think I'd listen to a whole cd.Smile

since the beginning of this year I've rekindled my interest for jazz and specifically pushing my limits of musicianship and technique. trying to be able to play over tunes and put my own spin on things.

Wow, this is the kind of stuff I was hoping to see!

That's awesome, the metal thing I can relate to even though I don't listen to it much, but I got into the playing a little bit from watching Metalocalypse lol.

Some metal guys take a lot of their ideas from Jazz theory which is mostly what I listen to it for. I like to see how people use things in different genres and situations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: