PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aria Pro II Herb Ellis PE 175
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Aria Pro II Herb Ellis PE 175 Reply with quote

Anyone got one of these 80s made in Japan Jazz Boxes ?
I'm thinking I might get one
jazzbox

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one, nor have I ever seen one for sale. If you have a chance to pick one up at a reasonable price I would give it a go. I heard that guitar a lot on the many videos I have, especially of him with Kessel. Sounds like your garden variety ES-175 sound. Which is a good thing!! If you get it please post pics. Like I said I've never really seen one and would like to.

P.S. Does anyone know why Herb stopped using his Gibson and started with the Aria?
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're OK. I tried one in a store for a minute. I know people that have other Aria guitars- they're the ones that are a copy of a Gibson Super V (which is a cross between an L-5 and a Super 400). These are nice guitars and were sleepers for awhile, but now when they come up on eBay they're going for more than they're worth IMO.
Taqui

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:
You can check
http://www.playjazzguitar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3483&highlight=
where I put some photos of my old Aria.

Best
Taqui
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool man- nice axe!

Yeah, that's a pretty old one. There's a big difference between those and the Aria IIs (or Pro IIs), which are generally much closer to the Gibsons they were modeled after.
Taqui

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you dewey decibel Cool
I think my model is similar to a Gibson L5 with florentine cutaway, but I don't know exactly, because there isn't info on the web about it. To me is cool, because the sound and the feel is close to a gibson. It cost me about 450 € five years ago, I changed pu. , nut, neck adjust and now it sounds great. Six months ago I saw the same model at eBay USA...I think itīs a good one, because woods, and construction is better than most of today's non-expensive guitars...IMO.

Best,
Taqui
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewey decibel wrote:
They're OK. I tried one in a store for a minute. I know people that have other Aria guitars- they're the ones that are a copy of a Gibson Super V (which is a cross between an L-5 and a Super 400). These are nice guitars and were sleepers for awhile, but now when they come up on eBay they're going for more than they're worth IMO.

Yeah I think thats the PE 180 , they look very nice too ...
How much do you reckon they're really worth ?
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what they're worth. I Thought they were amazing deals when they were under a grand and I regret not buying a couple I saw around $800, but when you start getting up to $1500-2000 or even more I don't know. They're nice guitars but they're not on par with Gibsons (don't believe everything you read!). A lot of times the binding will be coming off (especially on the headstock) or they'll have other little miscellaneous issues. I think generally the Ibanez higher end archtops were of better quality than these Arias, if that helps.

BTW- for anyone else tuning in, we're talking about the older Ibanez and Arias from the late '70s and early '80s, not the recent models. Peace!
gibson175

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A close friend has one. I have played and recorded with it. It is nice axe. I still far prefer a koren Joe pass epi tho. Both axes need new pickups.
greentone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Copy of the Super V CES Reply with quote

As Dewey Decibel says, the copies of the Super V CES was a sleeper. It was called the PE-180. It was made in the late-1970s by Matsumoku. I bought one to use instead of having to take my Gibsons out in play-out situations. Well, over the years, the PE has aged wonderfully. It sounds _excellent_, either plugged in or acoustically (I can't figure the latter out, but the PE sounds very nice unplugged.)

Given how expensive my Gibsons have gotten, I play the "Super V" exclusively as my play out guitar. The pickups, by the way, are superior. The high-end Matsumoku offerings from the 1970s were first rate, IMO.
GuildAAPlayer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Aria Pro II Herb Ellis PE 175 Reply with quote

sunflower wrote:
Anyone got one of these 80s made in Japan Jazz Boxes ?
I'm thinking I might get one

Yes, I've got a Herb Ellis model from about 1980. Here's a recent photo: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/ni9-u-b/Archtops/AriaProII-PE175-HerbEllis003.jpg

This guitar has the nicer (to my eyes) 'open book' headstock, and for some reason it has no "Herb Ellis" inlay at the 19th fret. I've never seen another without that inlay, don't know why it's not there!

This is actually a pretty great guitar, very versatile, but particularly good for jazz or blues. (It's got a soundpost under the bridge and this, along with it's laminate top really does a nice job controlling feedback.)

Details: 16" body, 25" scale, 3.5" thick -- maple top, sides and back. ebony fingerboard, very high quality pickups.

I once recorded a chord solo with three different guitars. Just dialed the volume and tone controls to where I like 'em. On playback, if I hadn't included the guitar's name with each file, I'd have been very hard-pressed to tell this Aria Pro II from my Gibson L-5 Wes. (The L-5 actually had a cleaner sound on it's 5th and 6th strings because of it's newer 13/56 round wound strings. And note that I'm talking about comparison of the electrical outputs only. The Gibson L-5 sounds a lot richer acoustically.) Anyhow, I do believe this guitar would make a very strong showing in comparison to any ES-175.

Another photo here: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/ni9-u-b/Archtops/ArchtopRack2009.jpg
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Greentone et Tarqui ......

Do you get much feedback problems with your PE-180
I do prefer the look of the PE-180 (like an L5) to the PE-175 HE
Taqui

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunflower,
I have not too many problems with feedback, because the top is laminated, even with Classic'57.
If you find one of these, please tel us know Very Happy
Best
Taqui
greentone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Feedback problems Reply with quote

Sunflower:
I play at volumes from very quiet to surprisingly loud with my PE-180. I don't encounter many problems with feedback. I suspect that the spruce top on the PE is laminated, although the acoustic volume on the guitar is pretty decent--about on par with my pre-war carved 16" Gibson.

The pickups are very nice and the guitar sounds like a Gibson. These guitars are worth tracking down, IMO. The headstock is identical in shape to the Herb Ellis shown a couple of posts above--nicely done. It is, however, Super-400 in size and has, depending on the series (i.e., year) the Super's diamond inlay, or what looks like a fancy V inverted on top of a fancy V. Later, still, it just said Pro II in vertical inlay where the split diamond or V's were.

Tip: Matsumoku made the _same_ guitar for Memphis. It was called the EL300. It and the PE180 are indistinguishable (they came off the same line) save for the inlay name, i.e, Memphis versys Aria Pro II. (Talking 1977 vintage Memphis, here.) If you find the Memphis, the comparative lack of name recognition may save you some bucks--but it's precisely the same guitar.
GUITARLAW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greentone, a player from maryland that I admire shows an aria and an ibanes guitar on his myspace ,Reberto Tyson.. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=195099751 do you know what model numbers are on these.... thanks Michael the photos are on his slide show
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: