PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aria Pro II Herb Ellis PE 175
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT , is that L-1000c on the site , the earlier version of the PE-180 ?
it looks similar
mikew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunflower wrote:
nice how much for that Mikew ?
and Guitarlaw , you've got too many already <jokes>

Well, 1150,- ~ 1770 US$. Quite reasonable considering the whole electric parts (jack/switch/pus/wiring/pots) are Gibson parts from 1980. Including OHSC and old electric parts.

@GUITARLAW

..yes it sounds like it looks Wink
greentone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: L-1000 Reply with quote

Hey,

You got a very nice PE-180 and paid a reasonable price for one with Gibson electronics. Well done.

I don't recall if there is an L-1000 for sale on the site or not. You can usually recognize it, though, by it's split diamond inlay, i.e., it's a "real lawsuit" issue. Matsumoku went for broke and did a dead on copy--they put the Super-400 inlay on the headstock. The second issues have the inverted "V" on top of a "V" that I mentioned, which looks fancy, but obviously not a copy of the Super-400, Les Paul Custom, etc. split diamond. The next series is blank or has the vertical Pro II you see posted above. I don't believe there is any difference between a L-1000 and a PE-180 except for that headstock detail, by the way. I don't think Matsumoku started being imported under the Memphis logo as the EL300 until the second variation.

The guitars are very pretty, sound nice, and display workmanship--well you can see it pretty clearly in the pictures posted.
greentone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Matsumoku-made Aria Pro II L5 (Super V) copy for sale Reply with quote

Hi,

There is a Matsumoku Aria Pro II L5 copy for sale on eBay. It looks like a good one and the price is right. It is the second issue from the '76-78 period, judging from the inlay on the headstock. It is the clone of the EL300 Memphis that I have--identical finish and headstock inlay. The model Aria is the PE-180.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aria-pro2-L5-replica_W0QQitemZ170280814894QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item170280814894&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Less than $750 in what looks like excellent condition. These guitars sound and play tip-top. This is the top of the line--upscale from the same period PE-175 Herb Ellis model. Spruce top and 17", versus maple top and 16" for the HE. You can hear the difference.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have that one on my watch list. In fact, he already had the auction up once and it didn't sell, and I was hoping he would price it lower. I was strongly considering it but I just dropped $500+ on a sudden medical thing over the weekend so it's out of my reach. But I don't think it's a carved top.

A good friend of mine (and great player) has the exact same one as well, with the Aria Pro II headstock. It's a great guitar. He's had several Super 400s and L-5s (used to own a music store) and is content with the Aria. That says a lot. Myself, I don't think it's quite up to the standards of a good Gibson, but for the price it's really a no-brainer.
greentone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewey decibel wrote:
Yes, I have that one on my watch list. In fact, he already had the auction up once and it didn't sell, and I was hoping he would price it lower. I was strongly considering it but I just dropped $500+ on a sudden medical thing over the weekend so it's out of my reach. But I don't think it's a carved top.

A good friend of mine (and great player) has the exact same one as well, with the Aria Pro II headstock. It's a great guitar. He's had several Super 400s and L-5s (used to own a music store) and is content with the Aria. That says a lot. Myself, I don't think it's quite up to the standards of a good Gibson, but for the price it's really a no-brainer.

I own this same guitar. I think the top is laminate spruce. The sound, electronically, is definitely "gibson" in character and the construction is all there. I own several Gibson archtops and the guy I play with regularly in a duo is a vintage dealer/collector. Based upon the different copies I've played through the years, I would rate the Matsumoku-made copies of the L5/Super 400/Johnny Smith to be the best. Some day, I'd like to find a copy of the Conti model that has the Charlie Christian pickup set into the top of the Super 400. I've never seen one except in pictures.

The Aria Pro II is a no-brainer play out guitar for Gibson folks.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long was it listed for GT ?
I've been away last 2 days .....
greentone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunflower wrote:
how long was it listed for GT ?
I've been away last 2 days .....

I don't know. It's off now, but I'm sure it'll be back. There's an identical one, albeit a couple of years older--'74 versus '76 or '78--listed for $2,399.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200278333930

This instrument is the one from JV guitars. Vini seems to specialize in old Matsumoku-made Arias, if you visit his site on the web.

The PE-180 that was going for $795 seems a bargain. (It'll be back.)
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks GT
would you let me know if you see it again ?
greentone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunflower wrote:
thanks GT
would you let me know if you see it again ?

I'll watch.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, if you want a deal, now would be the time to email the seller directly with a lower offer. That's what I was going to do after the end of the first auction; not because I don't think it's worth that much, just because it's what I can afford.

It may seem sleezy (and maybe it is a little bit Twisted Evil ), but if you trust him you can offer maybe $650-700 shipped. That may seem like a ripoff, but if you explain that if you don't go through eBay then he doesn't have to cover the eBay fees, then it maybe in his best interest.
greentone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interacted with the seller of the Aria Pro II. He is convinced that the finish cracks are preventing a sale. I know from experience that the lacquer finish on these guitars is quite thin (nice). Mine has surface cracks in the finish on the spruce top--in the lacquer, not the wood. I think it's pretty common with thin nitrocelluose and guitars that are used a lot. I've seen a _lot_ of Gibson archtops with finish crazing that you wouldn't believe.

I think he might relist, anyway. I'll keep my eyes open. The price is surely right. The tone of these guitars, straight into an amp, sounds a lot like Larry Coryell's Super 400 on "Duster" with the Gary Burton Quartet from 1967. (With both pickups on, they sound like Merle Travis--break out your thumb pick.)
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't really see the cracks in the pics. If it's checking I have no problem with that. But like I said I don't think it's a carved top, in which case even if the cracks were a bit into the wood it still wouldn't bother me that much.
greentone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewey decibel wrote:
I couldn't really see the cracks in the pics. If it's checking I have no problem with that. But like I said I don't think it's a carved top, in which case even if the cracks were a bit into the wood it still wouldn't bother me that much.

It's a laminated top. If you look at the pictures, and if you look to the bass side of the tailpiece, you'll notice what looks like a longish crazing line running parallel to the tailpiece. My guitar has exactly the same mark in the top.

In a laminate top, even if it were into the wood it would be no biggy because you couldn't possibly produce a carved-top-type stress fracture.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dewey

do you think you'll bid on this if it appears again ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: