PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how can i get a clean recording?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanni

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: how can i get a clean recording? Reply with quote

i use audacity and windows vista, if i do a recording than i have allways a rush and noise i donīt want at the background, there is a button to put the rush away but if i use it everything is rubbish and i can forget it, how does it works?
since iīm using vista my drumming programm hammerhead isnīt working anymore, did anyone know a drumming programm that works with windows vista?
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get an old Roland drum machine and a 4-track. Stupid computers. Laughing
Stackabones

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with those programs ... I use a Mac.

One thought ... are you using a mic next to the computer to record? Sometimes the mic will pick up the computer noises. I've had mics pick up fans, cars driving by, etc.
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....not to mention magnetic pickups....get yourself, your guitar, the microphones, the amp etc. as far away from the recording computer (preferably in a different room, on a different power source) as possible...

most of the noise is probably from the computer itself...
hanni

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stackabones wrote:

One thought ... are you using a mic next to the computer to record? Sometimes the mic will pick up the computer noises. I've had mics pick up fans, cars driving by, etc.

thanks,
i donīt use the mic from the laptop and the recording programm from vista, this makes only single lines, i use an usb mic, put in front of the hole of my acoustic guitars/flute and just plug on with a 3 meter wire (sorry i donīt know inch)
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Just an aside: Audacity is available for Macs.)
jokron

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanni wrote:
Stackabones wrote:

thanks,
i donīt use the mic from the laptop and the recording programm from vista, this makes only single lines, i use an usb mic, put in front of the hole of my acoustic guitars/flute and just plug on with a 3 meter wire (sorry i donīt know inch)

1. I'm not familiar with USB-mics, but I guess they use the computers soundcard to treat the incoming signal. The standard soundcards in computers are often very noicy when recording. You should really buy a USB-soundcard with XLR inputs and a microphone with XLR-connections. That would reduce the noice you're getting. Look at www.thomann.de
If you buy a E-MU USB 0202 you get a program bundle with it... http://www.thomann.de/de/emu_0202_usb.htm

2. What kind of microphone are you using?

3. You shouldn't put the mic in front of the soundhole of the guitar. Try putting it at about the twelveth fret 10 cm from the strings and depending on microphone slightly angle it towards the soundhole to get the best sound.

Sound on Sound has a good article about recording acoustic guitar:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug01/articles/recacgtr0801.asp
and here is another article:
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/acguitrectec.html

/Jokron

Miles Davis
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying 'environment' noise? Computer sounds, tv in the background, dog barking. That sort of noise?

You want to filter out that noise?

If so, no, not happening. Laughing

You have to be in an environment that's better for recording. I've even seen a laptop with a mic used in a bathroom. Laptop outside of the room, mic chord under the door. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
hanni

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itīs this mic i use http://www.thomann.de/de/the_tbone_sc400_grossmembranmikro.htm

and i have it on a stand with a long mic arm so i can put it direct infront of me, there are several background noise, chicks mostly the male one, i realy closed all the windows and doors, but there is allways a noise, maybe i should put everything in my car, and using the crypta from church (if they let me, donīt know?) Wink

i donīt want to change the soundcart in my new laptop and my computer now is 16 years old, just working but i donīt change this soundcard too Confused

i have to find another way, thanks guys
jokron

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanni wrote:
itīs this mic i use http://www.thomann.de/de/the_tbone_sc400_grossmembranmikro.htm

and i have it on a stand with a long mic arm so i can put it direct infront of me, there are several background noise, chicks mostly the male one, i realy closed all the windows and doors, but there is allways a noise, maybe i should put everything in my car, and using the crypta from church (if they let me, donīt know?) Wink

i donīt want to change the soundcart in my new laptop and my computer now is 16 years old, just working but i donīt change this soundcard too Confused

i have to find another way, thanks guys

How exactly is the microphpne connected to your computer? Directly to the sound card, a usb-port or do you have some device between the microphone and the computer?

If it's environmental noice, you can try this:

If you have a corner in the room that you are recording in, place two foam-rubber mattress in the corner 90 degres angled to each other to dampen out the high frequency noice. Then place yourself in front of the mattresses with your back to the corner looking towards the room. Place the microphone in front of you. Remember that the microphone is like an ear, it is listening and if you damp out the reflections from the wall behind you, you can get rid of some noice. If you have the microphone in the middle of the room with nothing on the walls that damps the reflections, you will get all kind of noice into the microphone.

The next thing is to look at the input signal, if you are recording at too low level you will get much noice, but if you have the microphone near the source (guitar or mouth...) and raise the level just below a point where you would get distorsion, you will eliminate much of the environmental noice. If you then have a recording program that allows you to silent the parts of the track that are ment to be silence you can get a pretty good result in spite of the soundcards sound quality, at least for amateur home recording use.

It would be interesting to hear something that you have recorded, just for identification of the noice source...

/Jokron

Miles Davis
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you must record in a quiet place Hanni

The computer is noisy SO maybe get a Zoom H4
Then you can record anywhere ....... quietly

Shhhhhhhhhh ...........
hanni

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think to try it again when nobody is at home to disturb me and than i want to put the wire under the door and let the laptop outside of the room,

the mic is pluged in the usb port, works with the power from the laptop, there is nothing between, you can switch it on with audacity, windows vista recording, and other vista tools, there are a lot in vista and they all work fine together with this audacity programm, i think vista has to much tools and iīm often not sure what iīm doing ...... Confused iīm not a programmer Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: