PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

re-learning how to read
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real trick to reading is to do it all the time. I found that when first learning to read, practicing note recognition & placement separate from counting rhythms helped me a lot. When looking at a new piece for the first time, try playing just the rhythmic figures all with the same note, disregarding pitch notation. Then play the actual notes all as quarter notes, disregarding the rhythmic notation. Then see if its a little easier putting the 2 together. I also like to work with books such as Modern Reading Text by Louis Bellson because it introduces the various elements of counting in an organized approach. Along the way I found this cool little program that is a really fun way of learning the notes all over the neck: Sight Warrior (well worth the $15). I use a lot of clarinet and trumpet books too, since the note range is very similar to guitar. The other thing that helps my reading a lot is writing things in standard notation. I started out writing out my own 2 to 4-bar phrases over different chords and progressions. I found that this not only helped my reading, but it also documented my phrases, and I can then go back to reference them at a later time for practice or for teaching. But as I said at the start, the real trick to reading is to do it all the time.

Paul
Jazzy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice here. I can also recommend reading/playing solo violin music. These days I`m playing through this book:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_detail.html?item=3143990&cart=34350332174408039&cm_re=289.1.4-_-Results+Item-_-Title

Not only for sightreading purposes, but also for melodic ideas for improvisation.
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach Sonata and Partitas for Solo Violin is great for working on reading. You get the sightreading practice but also the brilliance of the writing (talk about outlining chords!) is very satisfying to read through. a much more preferable approach, in some ways, than typical etudes, methods, etc.
JakobWithTheExplorer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a cool excercise my teacher gave to me:
Write 4-8 measures of random quarter notes, and put out some random flats and sharps also. Then play the notes you have written, but onl on one separate string. Then, play it on the next string and so on.
It really gets your reading up quick, and you learn the whole fretboard also.
Obviusly, you will need to change octaves for some notes, but with some practice, this excercise should give your reading a boost.
Jon1980

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the first Leavitt guitar method book earlier this year and I really, really can't teach myself how to read music *at all*. It is something I feel I will never be able to do, despite feeling that in this past year my playing in general, but especially jazz, has improved substantially.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon1980 wrote:
I bought the first Leavitt guitar method book earlier this year and I really, really can't teach myself how to read music *at all*. It is something I feel I will never be able to do, despite feeling that in this past year my playing in general, but especially jazz, has improved substantially.

could you specific which book? (picture?)
Jon1980

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
Jon1980 wrote:

This is the one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0876390696/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

My book didn't come with a CD/DVD.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon1980 wrote:
JakeJew wrote:
Jon1980 wrote:

This is the one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0876390696/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

My book didn't come with a CD/DVD.

bro go light

http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/Berklee_Basic_Guitar_Phase_1/0793549965/

I use this book with kids as young as 8
Jon1980

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks, I'll try and pick up a copy.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon1980 wrote:
OK thanks, I'll try and pick up a copy.

yeah, don't worry, reading is tough, I'm light years behind where I want to be, but I know that you have to start simple. The book you were working with isn't the most simple thing if you're just starting with reading...shit takes forever
MangoTango

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my guitar teacher recommended the Bellson book too, so I bought that; and a guitarist I know, who admitted that he'd had the same problem (which surprised me, seeing how his reading/playing is now!!) gave me the book that really got him going - he doesn't use it now and knows all the exercises/pieces therein, so was happy for someone else to have the benefit. Cool

Things like that and like the sharing of knowledge on this forum really give me hope sometimes - shame that the rest of the world can't see this stuff. Confused
Jon1980

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this primer on reading standard notation, which looks pretty good for beginners:

http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/Standard_Notation_Primer.pdf
Deebluz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: learning to read Reply with quote

Since it sounds like you 're no beginner to reading,Leavitt's Modern Guitar 1,2,and 3 are excellent...but also heed his advice wherein if you want to become a good reader read a variety of different music.Barney Kessell recommended Clarinet books because of the range parallel between the guitar and Mickey Bakers Jazz Guitar 1,2 are also great.An excellent book is Tommy Tedesco's For Guitar Players Only(May be out of print) and as to the lowly C scale try reading it in eighth position incorporating open strings or up a single string always with a time keeper,having used a metronome I would suggest a drum machine as it a lot more fun and usually has a variety of preset stye patterns with a built in metronome....unless you prefer click-click-click or chirp- chirp-chirp----also it is good to do a check up every 6 months to check progress and record yourself,the former to increase your confidence,target trouble areas and the latter to listen to execution.Another thing is dynamics can really take a dry study and make it interesting and increase pick control.If you lack self discipline,search out a teacher who will hold you accountable--good luck on your way to becoming a literate guitarists.
wolflen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

met a great player ... used a technique call string gymnastics...take a simple melody...say "london bridge" in C....play it on the high e string...then move to the B string but play it a fifth higher. then the next string etc..continue this until you go through the entire circle of fifths...

then apply some of that to any given piece your reading...so you can read in several keys at once so to speak...tranpose in your head....it can be very humbling...puts the breaks on the "i already know how to do that" attitude...

play well

wolf
StratmanUK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: re-learning how to read Reply with quote

6string83 wrote:
ok so i have bought leavitt's modern guitar method books but am having a problem, first lesson is to read a c major scale. my problemis that i know how to play a c major scale and find myself playing it without reading the music properly. any ideas?

OK maybe I've just bumped this query again but its a real issue at times...
Years ago I was also doing some guitar teaching when I got involved in Classical music more back then, and mixing with classical types, but NOT all guitar types / across the board muso's.

I figured then that pretty well ALL pro teachers I knew used to bang on about sight reading exercises.
Indeed the UKs Associated Board Exams were also based on sight reading abilities as a pass mark.
I now refresh my OWN abilities, as yer DO get rusty AND fall into bad habits, by sight reading pieces I DON'T KNOW and maybe have never played...

I obtain all sorts of sheet/book music and play say the top line..then others accordingly...
I also read Bass Cleff and do likewise while transposing in my head whenever possible...at my age I have started to errrr...ferget stuff...? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Use it or lose it, as they say.... Confused Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: