PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

re-learning how to read
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to that bump, I just wanted to say that I've seen great improvements in my own sight reading. For anybody waning in their focus, just keep at it - a little bit a day winds up paying off!
StratmanUK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed and to add to that...I ALWAYS insisted that pupils attempted say just ten minutes practice a day minimum EVERY day if time was tight, rather than 2 hours solid each Sunday morning... Wink

I also suggest they pick up a guitar between thumb and first finger when picking it up each time to aid the relevant muscle to develop thus ensuring a solid Barré grip as a muscle exercise...

When I first began playing electric guitar (50's) we didn't really have much choice re string guages and I learnt to bend & Barré TAPEWOUND strings, also we had massively thick top & bottom 'E's by todays standards, and can now 'bend nails' in my left hand Laughing Cool Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink
hanni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good idea is reading classic music........ there are tons for download at internet, old traditional music........ that could help a lot
Jazzy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanni wrote:
a good idea is reading classic music........ there are tons for download at internet, old traditional music........ that could help a lot

Agree. I`m working with some solo violin pieces by Bach these days. Both to improve my sight reading, but also to try to analyze his incredible melodic lines. It`s just so much great information in those pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: