PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I gota learn some hendrix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorganS

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: I gota learn some hendrix Reply with quote

I auditioned for my highschool jazz band,

got in. Great.

So I am happy about that.

I auditioned for my middle school graduation.

I played a few jazz songs in front of a panel of adult judges.

They want me to play HENDRIX?

So I think I'm going to learn "Angel"

Morgan
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I hate the way most people listen to music. Isn't that terrible?

I really like things that are challenging and interesting, and people go "oh, play the one with the nice beat!"

I mean, I love Hendrix, but cmon, let the man play some jazz...
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say you do a jazz rendition of a Hendrix song. Don't tell them before hand, just bust it out at the actual performance, totally jazzified. "What? You said you wanted Hendrix. You didn't say how."
voodobop

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what to think of high school jazz bands, unless its some sort of fine arts school like the moody school. My highschool jazz band used to play the pink panther song, rhapsody in blue and Nora Jones. I dont know what to think about the henderix thing... i think its a misguided way of saying "look were cool too, we get it".
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, consider, voodobop, that the administrators at his school probably like Hendrix, and are of his time. Baby boomers have gotten pretty old. So, it's probably more like, "this is what we like, what we're familiar with, what we want to hear, and you kids are supposed to worship Hendrix too (after all, he's a rock god like Clapton and the Beatles and everyone loves the Beatles, right), so we know you're familiar with him and want to hear it as well." It's become the modern general-appeal music. That's my hunch, anyway. Not that it matters. I mean, it's middle school graduation. Rolling Eyes We didn't even have such an event, that I recall.

On a side note, I can't believe I used the word jazzified. Formal apology issued.
MorganS

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my principal wants rock...

Funny isn't it.

I'm going to play Voodoo Child =] hehehe

I get to use distortion, wah, and best part be REALY LOUD.

Well I stand up next to a mountain, and I chop it down with the edge of my hand.

It should be fun, and hard.

I have to use tabs, =/ but its all right.

Any advice for playing this kind of rock?

Morgan

P.S

I got a new computer.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, where's the band or music director in all of this? I thought they had you playing some decent tunes with your stage band.

Ask if the band director can call the plays at the next football game.
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a fuzz pedal.

Every other amateur (and every third "pro") guitar player on the planet wants to sound like Jimi, so there's more than enough tips and tricks on the web (or at your local rock-oriented music shop full of wanna-be's and never-were's) about how to cop his sound and style.
MorganS

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is separate from the Jazz Band.

I got into the high school Jazz Band and I am happy about that.

This thing at the end of the school year called a "Promotion" is not connected to any of the school bands. Its when I play on the last day of school to all of the parents, teachers and students.

I went into the audition room where their were a few teachers I knew, some parents of popular kids (because they are the in the pta), and a few students. The guy who makes the calls was the Principal who was also there.

I walked in and said that I will play a few different styles of jazz. I cut little pieces out of them, like sound clips for them.

I played

Thumb- as I was warming up
Lotus Blossom- as my ballad
Besame Mucho- as my latin
Then just some interesting chords

And the lady asked me at the end and I will never forget

"Well... do you have an amp?"

I don't know why I thought this was so funny, but I said yes and the laughed. They said they had a few more people to listen to and they would get back to me.

The next day I caught the principal and started to talk to him. Originally it was undecided if I was going to be in or not. Good thing I talked to him. He said there were already enough band parts being played by strings and he didn't want any more of that.

Then he said he wants rock. He wouldn't tell me what kind of rock, but rock.

He said he will call me in on tuesday to talk.

For all of you guys:

I have a BBE "Green Screamer"

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Green-Screamer-Overdrive-Effect-Pedal?sku=157035&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26018937

I also have a Dunlop "Classic Wah"

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Crybaby-Classic-Fasel-Inductor-Wah-Pedal?sku=151026V

And a good thing to have, a Ernie Ball "Volume Pedal"

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-6166-Mono-Volume-Pedal?sku=152103

So I think I can pull of some nice Voodoo Child with all that and my twin.

I'll pull out my axe, my BC Rich Bich and "rock out"

I feel funny because its like I'm breaking all the rules of jazz.

Morgan
hanni

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what they do in music at your school sounds realy strange to me ..... Shocked is that normal in the USA ? realy strange .......
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanni, he's just talking about playing at his middle school (which is usually ages 11-14, grades 6-8, if you don't know ) "graduation" event. It's unconnected to the music program. Just free child labour for the musical entertainment. Laughing
hanni

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Very Happy im not so familiar with the american school system, i just remembered, so i was playing clarinete with 14 on a private music school, so they asked there, what job do you want to do later? do you want to go to a conservatory? my answer at this time was i dont know ...... i was to young, they checked me and told me im a good singer, but there wasnt any interest in singing at this age Very Happy , everything was going another way ..... im a member of groovin valley gospel singers and play guitar .....lol Wink
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick to nailing voodoo chile slight return is to rock the wah in tempo...don't think of it as part of the phrasing per se, just rock it down on the beat, up on the off-beat, then play the lick. this may seem obvious but it took me years before I realized this simple thing to make it work...

the rest of the tune is mostly E pentatonic licks at the 12th and open positions...easy, until you remember that you have to sing the same line as you're playing! Surprised

then the only other thing you need to worry about is getting your middle school drummer to sound like mitch mitchell.... Cool
MorganS

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratocasturbator wrote:
the trick to nailing voodoo chile slight return is to rock the wah in tempo...don't think of it as part of the phrasing per se, just rock it down on the beat, up on the off-beat, then play the lick. this may seem obvious but it took me years before I realized this simple thing to make it work...

the rest of the tune is mostly E pentatonic licks at the 12th and open positions...easy, until you remember that you have to sing the same line as you're playing! Surprised

then the only other thing you need to worry about is getting your middle school drummer to sound like mitch mitchell.... Cool

Solo, no one but me. The wont allow anything but a solo, which is why I guess I'm going back to Angel. Its hard to pull voodoo off for me when, ha, it's just me.

Remember this isn't a school band its and end of the year assembly, thing.

Thanks for the tips though, because I'm still going to learn the song.

I'm going to try to play it (angel) just like Hendrix.

It took me an embarrassingly long time time with "transcribe" to figure out:

For one the song is a half step down, but someone told me that yesterday.

It goes F# to E to B to D, for the intro. I nailed the hammer-ons and pull-offs so it sounds almost exactly like him.

I never realized how fun it is to basically transcribe the song.

Makes me feel like I could do a way better job than a lot of those tabs on the internet.
____

BTW should I get a chorus pedal. I'm trying to get that acoustic feel that he has.

Morgan
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for 'Angel' he used a uni-vibe, which is a kind of chorus effect with a swirly phase thing...a chorus pedal could work though...try before you buy...

transcribing is a great way to get a sense of it, but there are also some excellent note-for-note transcriptions available of most all recorded hendrix tracks...when I got a hold of the transcription of 'angel' I did discover some nuances and chord voicings that corrected my version and made it much richer and spot-on...it's a rewarding tune to learn...I'm also fond of 'little wing' in a pinch...good one to do solo as well...

great luck with your show... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: