PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof. O'Kaine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: New to the forum Reply with quote

Hi! my name is Professor O'Kaine. I've been teaching jazz guitar for a very long time... or so it seems to be (17+ years now) Smile at the university level. I have never joined a forum like this before, and I look forward to some good banter.

all the best!
sunriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! You're in for some good discussions on Jazz. Glad to have you here.
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your input! I'm hoping to get a college gig soon, any tips Wink

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wildfield

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Looking forward to your posts and advice. Thanks for joining.

Darryl
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Prof.!
hanni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, to this nice forum, Prof. Very Happy
greentone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Hi, Prof. O'Kaine Reply with quote

Prof. O'Kaine,

Welcome. I, too, am a professor. I only joined the forum a week before you. I teach economics and environmental studies, not jazz. Sad I have been playing guitar, upright bass, and B3 for forty years, though.

I have background in pit bands in shows, as well as jazz combos, funk and blues bands. Done my share of rock, too. It's all good, though I don't play "Free bird." (superstitious, I guess--Skynyrd was flying to my university when they crashed).

I enjoy all jazz, except maybe light jazz. I have a special fondness for Alfred Lion's Blue Note records from the late-50s through the late-60s. New York-based hard bop from the same period is great, too. The two Miles quintets are awesome.

As far as guitarists go, the influences are too many to mention, but a few stand above the rest: Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, and Barney Kessell. It's a tone and rhythm sense thing as much as note choice. For that reason, Steve Cropper ends up being as big an influence--in his way.

I hope to exchange ideas with folks on the forum about music, players, equipment, etc.

Again, "hi" and welcome to you, Prof. O'Kaine.
Prof. O'Kaine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the kind welcomes!

Jake, you asked about becoming a music school professor. What a dark topic! Smile

I know of very few jobs available... I know of no jobs available! There is a website that lists jobs I can't remember the name of it. It's like, "something something for higher education." I will try to get the name of it for you, but jobs are listed there. Usually, it's all about adjunct positions in faraway states with no music scenes.

Universities are always trying to cut costs. So what they'll have is a well-known chair, and then "worker bees" i.e. adjunct faculty to do all the other stuff. Your best bet after your master's degree, is to find a place where you can do your DMA Or Ph.D.. As you know yourself, that is now the terminal degree for Jazz educators. You will have a much better shot at getting your foot in the door if you have the DMA/Ph.D..

I know that's bad news because that means more school and who wants more school? Ph.D. really means as they say "piled higher and deeper." You have to do a lot of work, it's very expensive, and it takes three years. That is, unless you do it at North Texas State where I hear it is a program that lasts much longer. I think you should get your schooling out of the way. Then it's time to build your resume. Write a book, play with some big-name people, get published... I don't mean to either/or, I mean do all of that...and then you'll be on your way to having a CHANCE!

Notice I say "chance." All that doesn't mean a hill of beans which is the sad part, because ultimately it's whether or not "if they like you." i.e. your vibe, when you speak, the way you handle yourself etc.

you probably know most of this already...

I hope this helps
trotsky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!!
Gene
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've been looking at the listings. There are a lot of positions out there but not many for guitarists. I'm not a US citizen so I'm not picky about where I go. There were some things in Austrialia that caught my eye hahaha.

I dig what you're saying, it's not easy. I think I %75 have an adjunct job in September lined up but I'm not banking on anything. It would work well for me at this point since I need at least something to cheer me on.

North Texas is a great school, I love it here, but their DMA program for Jazz hasn't started yet nor do I want to do it here anyway. They're being highly selective about who is accepted and I know that I am not on the level they are looking at for the program.

I've been thinking about the DMA thing but I just can't seem to see myself pulling the trigger on that. Then again, when I finished my Bachelors I didn't expect to go for a Masters, so perhaps a little down the road I will find myself back in school, but I really hope not. I've racked up enough debut already to go back. Unless I get get fully sponsored or do it back in Canada, there is only 1 DMA program I know of in Toronto which could work for me. I know for a fact I wouldn't want to be a full time student again.

The cost of these schools is insane. Miami was my number 2 choice for my graduate studies but UNT was just so much more affordable and the faculty appeared to be a toss up between the two. Especially when I got ascholarship followed by the Fellowship it proved to be my best choice in the end from an educational and financial aspect.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm going to go study for my Orals... FUN TIMES

www.jakehanlon.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
voodobop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, have you looked into any of the schools in New Orleans. I know tenured professors there who only have a masters degree, which when you think about it is a big time exception as in any other academic department its impossible under normal circumstances to become a professor with only a masters degree, and music departments at New Orleans school are pretty fatly endowed. Tulane, Loyola, and the University of New Orleans would all be good places to teach, plus i think the Monk institute is going to be there for a while and the jazz scene is always really good making it ideal for someone who doesn't necessarily want to tour but wants to be an academic who can still play jazz in a really authentic setting. I know of a few teachers here who's gigging income easy at least mirror's their teaching salaries.
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was easy to walk in and ask for a job then I'd do it. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. They are good schools, but will advertise when they need people regardless of who's in town. The Monk inst, I have a friend studying there right now, and the guys who teach there are mega jazz stars, run by Terance Blanchard. They bring in Ron Carter and Herbie Hancock etc. I couldn't get accepted as a student there if I tried.

It's a hard industry. But I think that I'm not hopeless. Big schools though are out of the picture for someone who doesn't have professorial experience.

www.jakehanlon.com

voodobop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if we know the same person, but im roughly aquainted with David Mooney, he went to UNT also, though i think as an undergrad and taught a lot of my friends here.

Even though the situation for professional musicians does sound convincingly difficult, you definately are not hopeless, have a lot going for you as you are at a very minimum, from what ive listened to.. a really good musician. I also have aspirations to become an academian, though in a different field, so i know what your up against as far as developing a professional name, writing books, being published ect. Did you teach any classes as a TA at UNT?

Sorry to hijack your thread Prof, hope your diggin the forum.
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know who Davy Moony is, but haven't met him myself. Joe Johnson is the bassist, he was a student here while I was, great player. I was a Teaching Assistant here, I mostly taught lessons and directed ensembles, but I did grade and occasionally lecture the freshman jazz guitar fundamentals class.

www.jakehanlon.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: