PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pickup upgrade for epi joe pass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkhall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Pickup upgrade for epi joe pass Reply with quote

I am currently thinking of upgrading the stock pickup (just the one as I never seem to use the bridge pup) in my Epi Joe Pass Emperor. I was thinking of going with the Gibson '57 Classic. Has anyone else done the same upgrade and if so was there much improvement?

Also I would be very interested in any other pickup suggestions where good result has been achieved.
cmr415

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pick up replacement is one of the best bang for buck improvements along with a new set of strings and a proper set up. Im not sure how the stock pick up performs, but it could very well be a dramatic improvement. If not, your out $100 and you could probably sell it for close to that. I say go for it
Wildfield

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with cmr415...pickup replacement can be your best bang for buck improvement.

The only Epiphone that I have owned in the past is the Zephyr Regent. I didn't care for the stock pickup. I replaced it with several different PAF's as a sort of experiment. As I recall, I tried a KA PAF (from WD Music; made in Korea), DiMarzio PAF, Seymour Duncan 59 (gold cover) and Seymour Duncan Alnico II. The KA from WD was my least favorite...SD 59 was my favorite followed closely by DiMarzio and the Alnico II.

I've since replaced several pickups on other guitars with the SD 59 but to each his own. And, regarding Kent Armstrong, I have a custom, handwound KA on my Holst K200. That's my favorite setup of all time.

Good luck and let us know how your pickup swap turns out.
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the only thing I would say is that I myself wouldn't spend on an Epiphony what even a used 57 Classic oftentimes costs. You can get any of the Duncan and DiMarzios for real cheap used, and a lot of folks will tell you they prefer them to the Gibsons. And if you're doing it yourself, you can try a few, as Wildfield did.

Sometimes a local guitar tech/luthier will have some laying around that s/he'll sell to you cheap. And of course there's always ebay.

But hey, whatever you like. See if you can try some guitars that already have various pickups in them, to help you decide.
voodobop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic Sobriquet, your a pretty negative guy, a regular scrooge even..but i tend to agree about the cost ratio sort of thing.

Ive owned a Joe Pass emperor, i really thought it sucked plain and simple. I would not spend that much on a pickup for a cheap guitar, it really wont make that much difference. I gutted my Joe pass to put in a benedetto pickup, botched the procedure, got frustrated and sold it for 50 dollars plus another 50 for the pickup, a guitar tech bought it and installed the pickup and let me hear it. The results were really marginal, it was better but sometimes i wonder if it was simply psychological, like a placebo effect. Just throw some flat wounds on it, those guitars are pretty dead sounding, play to its character. I think its more likely to actually benefit if anything from some sort of p-90 rather than the 57, to maybe gain some punch and note clarity.

Many people say that changing the pickup is essentially like a prerequisite for owning a joe pass emperor, i just didn't see much difference. My philosophy is this :If you are a good player and you feel that there is something about the guitar that is holding you back in sounding like you should , then you need a better guitar.

Sorry if im going out of the spectrum of what you were looking for, its just i had a really frustrating time with that guitar.. and im guessing you might be too. I was sort of my entry into the jazz box world and i was always let down by it, i practically gave that guitar away. For some encouragement though, i have played emperors that were much better than mine.
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, I'll cop to some curmudgeonry, but not to scrooge-ness! Look around, I make jokes, too—even if they oftentimes seem to fly over or to the sides of people's heads (or maybe they're just unfunny). Rolling Eyes Wink
MangoTango

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as detailed elsewhere...I have a reasonably old (mid 90's, I think) Joe Pass, Korean made. Nice to play, nice to look at, but without a whole lot of depth to the sound. (That's genteel British understatement, by the way Wink )

A friend was upgrading his Les Paul Studio, so I took the pickups off him for a modest sum, had them installed and the wiring/switch tidied up and slapped on some 0.12" flats. Result - something that sounds a bit more like, if you ask me. Smile

Now it's not a New Yorker, and never will be. And my playing is nowhere near good enough to justify a lot of £££'s on something better. Yet. And when I bought it, in 1996, I didn't realise that it was the Squier Strat of archtops. However, for the time being, it'll do.

By the way, I'd love to add a wooden tailpiece to this guitar, instead of the kinda chintzy-looking one that comes as standard. Anyone know where I can get one that I could fit to htis guitar?
gibson175

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GFS 59's. easy
trotsky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the Joe Pass guitar but I had a guitar built for me this year and on a whim I had the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Antiquity pickup installed and I am completely knocked out by it.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMANTHUM
This is the nicest PU I have ever played with next to an original PAF I used to have. Very musical with lots of character.
It is the PU you hear on the cheesey recordings I post here from time Rolling Eyes Wink to time just to give you an idea...
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6979516
Hope this helps
Gene
ingeneri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Wed May 19, 2010 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
MangoTango

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that was then, this is now. Life does some funny things, amongst them:

1) Despite the current state of the market, I'm due some money on some stock options. Should have enough to replenish the savings and if I hadn't done this now, I may have found lots of reasons not to do it. Either way, I'm hoping that the New Yorker will not lose shed value as rapidly as the FTSE 100. Wink

2) Since that post, I've been playing a lot with the band I've been playing with (if that makes sense) Confused . Confidence level has rocketed after lots of people telling me that I'm not the incomptent imbecile that I thought I was, albeit I know that I still have so terribly far to go.

3) I encountered a guy I used to be in a band with and guess what? We're going to be in a band again very soon, but playing jazz this time instead of the blues-rock that the old band played. So I kinda told myself I could justify the D'A.

4) Haven't sold the JP yet and currently have no plans to do so. Have a few other guitars that may make their way onto The 'Bay any time now..for spacial as well as financial reasons.

But yeh you're right, funny how these things come back to bite you...at least I have a very nice guitar to soften the blow Very Happy .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: