PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best picks for jazz
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tung

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Best picks for jazz Reply with quote

i'm constantly experimenting with different picks, always working on my articulation and picking technique.
Just wonder what everyone is using and why.

I've used pretty everything under the sun. I tend to favor really thick, heavy picks. for me, more flexibility as far as articulation goes, I can lighten up or hold the pick lighter, depending on the phrasing.
My favorite right now is a really thick 3.5mm, custom made out of glass. I also love the Jim Dunlop 3.0 mm Big Stubby. Lately i started to see why the gypsy jazz players get a huge loud sound from playing just acoustic: they all use very heavy picks starting from at least 3.00mm.
But then again, you have Metheny who uses the thinnest piece of paper-like pick, Benson using only a fender Medium. Like everything in jazz guitar, it's a real personal thing.
mattwolfe3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried many different kinds of picks, but I keep going back to the black Jim Dunlop Jazz III picks.

I haven't gotten a better tone with any other pick. Of course, your strings and pickups are going to affect your tone, and, like you mentioned, each person has his/her own needs depending on what sound they want. But I find these Dunlop picks to be great. They aren't expensive either. They also come in red, but for some reason the black ones sound better.
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I likes nylon (e.g., Dunlop, jazz or otherwise); just seems to have a more musical, "organic" character.
jamester

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Tortex Jazz III's, 1.14mm.
Tung

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattwolfe3 wrote:
I've tried many different kinds of picks, but I keep going back to the black Jim Dunlop Jazz III picks.

better.

These Dunlop Jazz III are hugely popular. I've gone trhough both the black and the red ones, used the red ones for over a year before moving on to something else that suited me better. I think John McLaughlin used these as well. i realized the regular size picks suited my style better, more better contact with the strings. But the list of Jazz III users are huge, John Petrucci, Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa are just some off the top of my head.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use those fat little stubby picks too. Now I use regular old celluloid picks, like the classic Fender 351 shape in either medium or light thickness. The thicker picks have a darker mellow tone, but I realized I was compensating for lack of other things. Now I like the snap of a thinner pick. I also use these for rock/pop playing:

That little blue spot is great for reducing slippage. I've tried many other picks that had some sort of compensation for better grip and most did more harm than good. These are the only ones that actually work and still sound like a regular celluloid pick (except maybe a tad darker).
CalebFSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tung- Actually a lot of Gypsy tone and volume comes from the right hand technique. Many players use standard heavy 1-2mm picks the Wegens are popular but I mostly see gypsy players using stard heavy picks these days.
Tung

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalebFSU wrote:
Tung- Actually a lot of Gypsy tone and volume comes from the right hand technique. Many players use standard heavy 1-2mm picks the Wegens are popular but I mostly see gypsy players using stard heavy picks these days.

Yes, they do have a heavy right hand , don't they? a lot of downstrokes too, which give the accents even more pronounce.
greentone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Jean-Charles Dugain Reply with quote

Try the Dugain Standug (4mm) pick. It produces great speed and wonderful tone. I used to use heavy Fender or Gibson picks, but find the Dugain to be better for tone production and MUCH better for speed. It's cut for right-hand picking (if you're left-handed, you'll need to specify a left-hand model). It has a great surface for downstroke attack and return upstroke attack because of its precision bevels. It surprised me how much more accurate my picking became--instantly.
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using and have been using for the last 5 years now Dunlop Gator 2mm picks, they're grey at first but the grey wipes off right away and then it's black. They have rounded edges so it gives a rounder tone. I like bigger picks in size just because of comport. I also pick with the wide corner, not the pointed edge.

Absolutely no desire to change. Although I do like the feel of teardrop shaped picks. I hate borrowing picks if I've forgotten one because most people I know use picks with square edges and I just have nothing but hate for the sound I get with those picks.

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tung

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jean-Charles Dugain Reply with quote

greentone wrote:
Try the Dugain Standug (4mm) pick. It produces great speed and wonderful tone. I used to use heavy Fender or Gibson picks, but find the Dugain to be better for tone production and MUCH better for speed. It's cut for right-hand picking (if you're left-handed, you'll need to specify a left-hand model). .

Yes, this is the kind of picks I'm getting into lately, the stone or glass 4mm is the ideal design for jazz, but it's so subjective. hard to drop $22 a pick to find out you don't even want to play it.
Where did you get yours? Through mail order?
T
Viper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$22 that's what I paid for my guitar. Laughing
greentone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Dugain pick Reply with quote

Tung,

I know several guitarists in my area who play really heavy picks. I asked around, after seeing guitarjunky's recommendation of Dugain picks on this forum, and one guy let me have his Dugain for $15. It looked unplayed.

Now that I've tried one, I gotta say that I'll be willling to pay the going fare to get some more. They are THAT good. Mine is acrylic and looks just like a regular pick--only thicker, with a thumb scallop on one side, a forefinger cutout on the other side, and the upstroke and downstroke bevels on the rather rounded point.

I don't notice any sound of pick "slap" when I pick the string with the Dugain, just the sound of the note with an especially strong fundamental. The other thing is that the Dugain flies off the strings--you can really MOVE. 16th and 32nd note passages are quite a bit easier than with other picks I've used. I will run out of ideas before I run out of picking facility now.

To get the Dugain, I see that guitarjunky is selling them at his website. You can find him on this forum.
CalebFSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dugain 4mm that I got to play Gypsy Jazz with and I couldn't stand it all I got was pick noise. I will try it on my archtop and play some more straight a head stuff and we'll se how it turns out. you guys have me intrigued.
jookyle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Jazz III's but the past few weeks I made a switch to Dunlop Big Stubby's 3.0mm. Kind of a radical move but I think they sound better. it took a few days to get used to because it is different but I'm good with it now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: