PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you guys relate?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorganS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Can you guys relate? Reply with quote

Little kids sad rant about not getting what he wants...

Since gas prices are so high, my dad's been toying with the idea of selling one of his cars. Ever since I moved to California gas was always a lot. I have loved the car, and he's had it since I was a baby. He drove it in the sunny days of LA, and in the snow and ice of Ohio. I have always wanted the car, and it was always apparent that I would get the car. The car itself is special, heavily modified originally a race car. Since its so modified it gets bad gas milage. So he's selling it for some special edition audi. He alway told me it wouldn't be my first car but it seems that car will never be mine.

He put the car up for sale, and already has had numerous offers.

I'm going to try to talk to him tomorrow, in a moving truck as we move furnature to my sisters new dorm/apparment.

I'm guessing the answer will be "mo sorry we talked about this, gas and smogging the car is just too much work"

The thing I can't understand is his dad did almost the same thing to him. He gave away the car.

So I'm just sad, trying to write music, or something not sure what I'll do.

So I'm just wondering if this has happened to you, and how you got over it.

Morgan
voodobop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just i car, i was supposed to get my dads jag, i didnt, you will find less vain things to enjoy later in life.
hanni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gave up a lot of luxury the last years, and i dont miss it because there are so many other things and not so much stress anymore, its just a car and a short missing Very Happy
MorganS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel like its not "some car", there's no other in the world like it. I'm trying to keep perspective, though, and listen to what you guys are saying.

Morgan
ed norton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

post no. with devil number, tres sixes. die devil, you suck, like those damn mets, ok see next post.
ed norton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan ,myself I like classic cars, but nowadays I look down on anyone who drives a gas guzzler. I have a small beater but usually ride a bicycle. Iv'e gone new age, I carry my own tote bags to the grocery store and recycle everything. You will get way hotter girls by driving a prius and showing your sensibility. It's a new era, we have to cut out our reliance on foreign oil, it sucks, but it's life. Don't be a pig. I remember 35 cent per gallon gas, and everyone smoked cigarettes for 35 cents a pack, I'm soooo old.
The post your own music section is heating up , let's get some stuff recorded. Ill listen to everyone over the weekend. see ya.
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I think you sound spoiled and trivial. I could maybe chalk the latter up to your being a youngster and evidently not having many more important things with which to concern yourself, but even that is probably, at least in part, a product of what's apparently been a pampered, affluent upbringing. That may sound harsh, but you did start up the thread, and did ask if we could relate. Well, that's how I relate to sentiments like that.

I'll also add that I think it's only the responsible thing for anyone to ditch their gas-guzzling pollution-producers.
voodobop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan, go down to Barnes and Noble and get a book called "Status Anxiety" by Alain De Botton, its a very easy little pop philosophy read and i think it will help provide you with some perspective on your dilemma.
DocDosco

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic Sobriquet wrote:
Frankly, I think you sound spoiled and trivial. I could maybe chalk the latter up to your being a youngster and evidently not having many more important things with which to concern yourself, but even that is probably, at least in part, a product of what's apparently been a pampered, affluent upbringing. That may sound harsh, but you did start up the thread, and did ask if we could relate. Well, that's how I relate to sentiments like that.

Geez, your're not a very supportive or pleasant person to anyone, are you?

Doc's Peerless guitar website
http://www.jazzguitarzone.com
DocDosco

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you guys relate? Reply with quote

MorganS wrote:
Little kids sad rant about not getting what he wants...

Since gas prices are so high, my dad's been toying with the idea of selling one of his cars. Ever since I moved to California gas was always a lot. I have loved the car, and he's had it since I was a baby. He drove it in the sunny days of LA, and in the snow and ice of Ohio. I have always wanted the car, and it was always apparent that I would get the car. The car itself is special, heavily modified originally a race car. Since its so modified it gets bad gas milage. So he's selling it for some special edition audi. He alway told me it wouldn't be my first car but it seems that car will never be mine.

He put the car up for sale, and already has had numerous offers.

I'm going to try to talk to him tomorrow, in a moving truck as we move furnature to my sisters new dorm/apparment.

I'm guessing the answer will be "mo sorry we talked about this, gas and smogging the car is just too much work"

The thing I can't understand is his dad did almost the same thing to him. He gave away the car.

So I'm just sad, trying to write music, or something not sure what I'll do.

So I'm just wondering if this has happened to you, and how you got over it.

Morgan

Good luck.

I am a bit more sympathetic. You want the old man's other car. Natural for a kid.

I made a deal with my son yesterday. He turned 15 today. He wanted the car that I just blew a tranny out of. It is a gas pig, doesn't drive now, and is not worth fixing. But I told him that if he did good, stayed out of trouble for a year until he was 16, I would give him what I just got, or get him something to drive.

We are talking about a very angry kid here too. I adopted him when he was small, but he has issues. A moody, troubled little boy. He was recently arrested for fighting, charged with a felony at 14, and I couldn't get him out of Juvie for 9 days. So, he is on probation. The lock-up seemed to wake him up, however this kid definitely needs to learn the hard way, I fear.

Anyway, call it bribery or call it incentive. Take your pick.

All kids have difficult stuff to grow through. I'm sure you have your issues too.

Well, if you don't get this car, make a deal with your dad to help you get something else. Be creative.

;0)

Doc's Peerless guitar website
http://www.jazzguitarzone.com
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the car ?
So important here !
MorganS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your input, even the harsh stuff. Its been a day now, and I'm feeling better. I talked with some friends who are in college, and they talked to me about what priorities, and goals matter. I keep reminding myself its a car, and one day I'll get a Lamborghini, and that will be good. Haha, I don't know, cars have always been a big part of my life, and a source of fun and excitement.

This car is just special and I know all about it. 1988 m3, model e30, salmon silver, with dark grey decals, and a red pinstripe. 2 tone red and grey interior. 4 cylinder engine, with turbo, and all those bells and whistles. It was always a dream car, something special and different, with a distinct sound between the borla exhaust, and the turbo. It would make me very sad to never hear the sound again.

I will read the book (vodo), and I will continue to live.

I just was sad to see the add for the car on the internet.

Well thanks again,

Morgan
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, affluenza.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate, Morgan . My Dad was an auto mechanic and we always had
cool, not expensive or fancy, but cool cars. I still miss some of the ones
we had and wish I had them now. I still have and drive my '65 Mustang
Fastback that I got while in college. The big bright yellow '61 or so
Plymth with the big tailfins sticks in my mind. We were embarassed when
my Mom would come pick us up from school in that, but now I wish I had
it back and all restored.
Jim L

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loss is part of life. it happens to everyone , everywhere, in all walks of life. Big losses, small losses. The passing of time helps the loss fade, and after a few losses you get more used to the process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: