PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap jazz backing tracks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon1980

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Cheap jazz backing tracks? Reply with quote

I am looking for some tracks to jam over, in particular II-V-I and VI-II-V-I progressions as well as some standards, recorded with a full rhythm section.

I have looked on Amazon (I'm in the UK) but can't seem to find any. Ideally I would like CDs to put in the stereo rather than something that uses the PC.
Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abersold
Stackabones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Band In A Box is cool. Plus, it's programmable.
Jon1980

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
Abersold

Thanks, these look pretty good from what I've seen and good value too.
jokron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend BIAB if you're looking for repetitive chord progressions.

The Aebersold Vol 3 that deals with II-V-I's doesn't have them in each key for a longer period of time. The first track goes through all twelve keys with just two turnes on each. The other tracks are variations of II-V's, V-I's and so on. If you want to try out some ideas or just get familiar with the chord progressions you should be able to stay for about three minutes or so to really work out. In that case the BIAB is better, you can play as long as you like in one key before moving to next...

Otherwise, when it comes to playing standards the sound quality on the Aebersold's play-a-longs are excellent and the arrangements are very good. But, on some of the tracks they increase the tempo gradually, I don't know if it's intentionally or the usual fault among many musicians...

So, to practice scales, chords, patterns, arpeggios and chord progressions I'd go for BIAB, for playing standards it'll have to be Aebersold play-along imo.

/Jokron

Miles Davis
FlatFive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you have asked for examples with full backing tracks, but you might also consider something quite different. I use a Boss looper. I can record my own backing track for anything I'm working on, from either one chord to three minutes of multiple chords before the repeat sets in. There are disadvantages to both methods (CD or looper) but I think we should work on our comping as much as our soloing. Having CD backing tracks doesn't exactly encourage that. The looper allows me to jam for hours on one chord or sequence, and at any tempo I feel comfortable with. I use the Boss RC-20, which I got on ebay for 60 pounds. I find it really helpful. I also use full backing tracks sometimes too, so it's not a case of having one or the other.

Just a thought...
jokron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about alternatives:

Since I've discovered the fun of playing bass I more and more tend to make my own backing tracks in Cubase like this:

- make drum tracks with Groove Agent 2.
- play bass
- comping on guitar or piano
- play the lead and improvise

Since I do this in Cubase and define any part or the whole song for continuous repetition I can play the same progression/song for an hour if I want to...or choose some tricky parts

I can export the the whole mix without lead/improvisationtrack to a stereo track and slow it down or speed it up without changing the pitch.

Working with drums, bass, piano and guitar in a tune gives a real down-to-the-basement-knowledge of the tune; drums make me aware of the timing issue and bass defines the basic harmony.

/Jokron

Miles Davis
eleven7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlatFive wrote:
I know you have asked for examples with full backing tracks, but you might also consider something quite different. I use a Boss looper. I can record my own backing track for anything I'm working on, from either one chord to three minutes of multiple chords before the repeat sets in. There are disadvantages to both methods (CD or looper) but I think we should work on our comping as much as our soloing. Having CD backing tracks doesn't exactly encourage that. The looper allows me to jam for hours on one chord or sequence, and at any tempo I feel comfortable with. I use the Boss RC-20, which I got on ebay for 60 pounds. I find it really helpful. I also use full backing tracks sometimes too, so it's not a case of having one or the other.

Just a thought...

I just recently bought the same loop station and I love it.
I didn't bother to mention it though because it didn't really seem
to fit what Jon was asking for.
I'd highly recommend the Boss RC-20XL to anyone.
jokron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the free RiffWorks?

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/T4/

/Jokron

Miles Davis
CalebFSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really surprised there aren't any on-line some where. I know there are a lot of them on line for Jazz manouche, I mean really high quality ones that where put together with a pro rhythm section. I am surprised that no one has done any straight ahaed rhythm section tracks on at least Standards. I understand that if you just want to loop a sequence of Chords then yeah you need like a band in a box program or you can do your own.
CalebFSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at work so I can't test it out but,

http://www.ralphpatt.com/Backing.html

These look free although it says on the site these are admittedly Vanilla. might be usefull though for tunes.
jokron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have theese...

http://www.jazzbacks.com/cgi-bin/online-store
http://www.greatscores.com/p/backings
http://www.petethomas.co.uk/jazz-backing-tracks.html
http://www.standardstrax.com/

...you just have to google... Wink

But maybe we shuld have a forum for backingtracks here at PlayJazzGuitar.com

I could make some for free to share with my fellow guitarists...there are a lot that want to play and learn but cannot afford the cost for software, samples or professional tracks...or send me a PM...

/Jokron

Miles Davis
Jon1980

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalebFSU wrote:
I am at work so I can't test it out but,

http://www.ralphpatt.com/Backing.html

These look free although it says on the site these are admittedly Vanilla. might be usefull though for tunes.

Thanks, this is really good! It is just as good if not better than endless II-V-I tracks, as they are all in a musical context.
greentone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: another vote for Aebersold Reply with quote

The Aebersold materials make great backing tracks. If you havn't checked out the new Volume 123 with Joey DeFrancesco, you should. It's a really good workout with an organ trio. It's just Joey D and drums on the left track, so you can add guitar to it. The charts include a killer "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy." There's nothing quite being in your own B3 trio with Joey D laying down the organ/bass for you. His bass lines are stupid-good, as usual.
Jon1980

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have BIAB 2007 and am trying to figure it out, although it is pretty complicated.

I can make it play repetitive II-V-I progressions, which is useful though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: