PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PWYH 2.4 Mac...Love it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: PWYH 2.4 Mac...Love it! Reply with quote

I just want to add my 2 cents to this part of the forum, and state my opinion about the course.
For me it's been one hell of (excuse me for the language) a nice journey from day one.
It's got very good examples, and lots of them too. And when I began I had almost forgotten my music reading from the old school brass band days, so the tabs were necessary. And here's what goes; the course is very much of a lot of jazz things, but those who are afraid of theory needn't worry, it's a minimum of that, and it should be, it's about playing what you hear, not being a music scholar. But, as a consequence of going through the course(I'm not finished - i go back and forth all the time to really rub it in) I've com to almost need more knowledge, not to make the course, no, but because the course wakes up the will to understand the whys and whats of the hows and even the whereabouts of jazz. So I find myself having gone through a lot of papers on jazz theory, music reading, you know, the pillars that support this wonderful music, I discovered the circle of fifths, I almost- not totally yet, but almost, understand Coltrane's changes, but that's a side of jazz I study when I've got some moments to spare.

What I want to say is that I would not be the emerging jazz guitarist I am today had it not been for this great course!

I'm busy with scales, modes, tritones, intervals and stuff now, and also getting my fingers to know my new Ibanez artcore (which I certainly would not have put money into had I not got the feeling of improvement that this marvelous course gives me every time I enter it) which will be the last guitar I'll need for many a year...

The cost is a bargain considering how much you get with the course, a platform as solid as anything for going on to achieve whatever it is you feel you need to do.

So, anyone wondering whether it is a good deal, it is, it's a life, it's a way to improve your playing, and it opens up doors to the wonderful world of jazz guitar,
love it!
Peace
&
Coltrane rules
Skei (the one who will be good at it by christmas -0Cool
vracan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree PWYH course is invaluable. Puts emphasis on your ears and heart to make music , not just fingerings/scales etc....
But I must say to get thru the whole course is ALOT of hard work and time. YOu must really motivate yourself over and over. But I guarantee what you get out of it , you can't get in any other course. All my friends and bandmates are continually amazed with each passing week of how much my playing is improving (and I was already pretty good).

By the way to properly internalize the course, I think you should take one full year with it.

Victor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: