PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry, a little off topic, but a potentially useful thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Other Training & Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Sorry, a little off topic, but a potentially useful thread Reply with quote

I know a lot of us here give lessons, I know some of you are teaching at the college level and others are like me giving private lessons mostly to beginners, people in their first few years of playing.

Anyway, here's the thing, I know about a billion pop songs, and you know how most of them are just strumming simple chords, barres and open, or maybe some little repeating pentatonic lick or double stops? What about things that are even easier?

I'm trying to think of a list of songs/riffs from popular songs that you can get most people to play within the first month or two of picking up the guitar. There are a few riffs that you can break down and make pretty damn accessible. Right now I've got:

sunshine of your love (can break down the main riff to be entirely in single notes)

iron man (same thing, just turn the power chords into single notes)

smoke on the water intro (can play as is)

come as you are, but the rhythm is tricky for many

and after that I don't know. I'm not a huge classic rock afficianado but I know there are a bunch of little riffs that you could simplify and make pretty darn easy to play.

I'm asking this because I've found that the kids get a lot more motivated if I can give them a "cool" rock song rather than just a misc. type of exericse, or, depending on age, a nursery rhyme.

Thanks!
JakobWithTheExplorer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One song that just came to my mind was "breaking the law"by Judas Priest.
That should be pretty easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Other Training & Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: