PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What I need to learn bebop
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGreene'77

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I think transcribing at least a little Charlie Parker is absolutely crucial to learning bebop and really getting a grasp of jazz. It prepares you for more advanced types of jazz, not to say that Parker was simplistic.

I think too many people who are really heavily into Kreisberg, Monder, Rosenwinkel, and Moreno skip the earlier guys, especially parker. I've read plenty of interviews by Kreisberg and I've heard him talk about how important it was for him to learn from Parker and then more from Bill Evans and Wayne Shorter. All the guys who are really into the modern players (including myself) don't get a good enough foundation to build off of like Kreisberg and Rogers do.

Hell, if you listen to Kreisberg's solo on Camarillo it's filled with little things that Parker did a lot of.
"Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art." -Charlie Parker
DocDosco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratocasturbator wrote:

for pure "bebop" -- the real deal, it's pretty simple: charlie parker. and thelonious monk is real important too. and diz. and bud. etc. but charlie parker's phrasing, writing/tunes/harmonic concept and his recordings are the crucial component. the way he spells out chords in his lines, the way he took something like "indiana" and turned it into "donna lee"... it's all there. simple, really. but getting it all to sink in, takes time. good luck. it's a fun journey. I'm still on it. Cool

I will second studying Parker for bebop.

There are not a lot of guys that are really spectacular bebop guitarists. Bebop on guitar is certainly an art. I can muddle through bop changes at fast tempos, but to nail the real authentic bop style (and take the bop vocabulary, create killer flowing lines and weave them seamlessly through the changes at really fast tempos) takes a lot of study and chops up the wazoo....

Cool

Doc's Peerless guitar website
http://www.jazzguitarzone.com
Jon1980

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint Strong has got to be one of the best bop guitarists out there, he really does create some amazing lines.
digijazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Tommy Crook Reply with quote

A guitar player I hold in very high regard and really recommend you try to see is Tommy Crook. I dont think he has released much on CD though.

I got to see him play live in Lanna Thai restaurant on Memorial Dv in Tulsa last year. Also got to meet him and have a beer with him before and during his set. A true gentleman and a true master of both country and jazz styles.

They had one combo amp on stage that took the guitar, bass and microphone and yet still sounded marvellous.

That was the most stunning, amazing evening of guitar playing I had ever seen in my whole life.

Food was great too..(but that wasnt why I went !!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: