PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is "too soon"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, sounds like you had fun (being the most important part).

Few more of those and this stuff will be old hat for ya. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are having fun! Playing will only get better and better!
MangoTango

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzerchick,

Can I have that in writing? Laughing

Seriously, thanks to all for kind comments, and compliments of the Holiday Season to you and yours!!

Mangotango Very Happy
MangoTango

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November 12th, when this thread started, I was a deer in the headlights, I was living in Panic City. Shocked

Now.....I'm Mr. Funk. Cool Apparently.

http://www.southendjazzco-op.co.uk/photo_album1.0.html.0.html Check out Scofield's Fat English Cousin, about halfway down.

Yes, the guitar says New Yorker but the chapeau says Noo Awlins; the slick guitar licks whisper Memphis....but the accent still screams "Liverpool". Rolling Eyes

Wink

BTW, the music on the website is pre-Mango, tho' I will get onto the next one. If it kills me. Y'all.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Mr Funk!! I think we'll be changing your name!
MangoTango

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Hanlon wrote:
It isn't ever too soon. If you have some sort of facility over the instrument get out and play... AND get out and play with your betters. This is the only place to truly really learn this music and "get it".

Yes you might get beat up a bit and mostly that'll be yourself. If you explain to the guys that you're nervous or feel out of your element they will understand. They just want to play man, and you just want to play so you are all on the same page.

So I say get out there and play. If you get your butt kicked then good, learn from the mistakes you make because you're always going to make them. I mess up every time I play at some point or the other. There's no perfect performance and we're all in this together.

Number 1 though, go in with a positive attitude and have as much fun as you can allow yourself to have. Because that's the purpose isn't it?

Well, spot on Jake, and last night was the night. At a small gathering that was thankfully largely composed of friendly faces. There were lots of factors leading up to it (excuses!), the most important of which was we had a different drummer who wasn't really in tune with what the rest of us do (let's put it this way, no-one gonna call him "Mr Funk" any time soon Confused ) but the truth of the matter is that I hit the wall of my experience/knowledge and my fingers had an out-of-body experience; hell, at one point, while trying to play Bb mixolydian on "Tenor Madness", I slipped into Eb Martian instead Shocked . Just bad, with a capital S Embarassed .

Thankfully a lot of the tunes called were blues/y, so as a self-confessed Jazz refugee from the Blues Republic, I could fake a lot of it. But it wasn't pretty. The crowd was good, the rest of the band were OK with me, but I knew.

My plan is to employ a Lutheran solution and throw work-rate at the problem. There may be other issues in the future, but I ain't getting bitten by this dog twice. You live and learn. If you're lucky, 'cos it's better than the alternative.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after all, there's only one Mr. Funk!!

We all have those nights. Move forward.
Just think how that drummer must feel about his performance. Trouble is,
usually those guys don't even notice how bad their performance was.
And actually think they did good!
Sometimes if you have to drag someone else thru the music, or work
extra hard to keep the rhythm section together, you play better and stronger yourself. You won't fold next time cause you'll "get mad at it",
so to speak.
MangoTango

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here we go. I have a gig. A proper one.

I was at my golf club (yes, I also enjoy the other most frustrating and yet pleasurable pastime on earth that doesn't involve taking off your clothes Wink ) and the Captain, who knows that I play in the Workshop band, asked me if I know of any jazz pianists who could provide background music for his Captain's Charity Day. I quite truthfully answered "no", although without adding "not that you'd be willing to pay for"....and then I said it.

"But I can get you a guitar & saxophone duo for a decent price".

Shocked

OMG WHAT HAD I DONE????

Got the gig, but then it turned out that they'd quite like an entire band. Shocked again.
So, deep breath, asked the bassist and drummer from the Co-Op......and the next thing I know, I'm taking a quartet in there!! (Shocked and Cool simultaneously)

Recently had a first rehearsal and after the first few numbers, it actually started to sound quite OK actually. Didn't help that it was early on Sunday or that the tenor player wasn't feeling too good; however, we pressed on and by the end of the session had 12 songs ready to roll.

I know that previously, I would have asked you all that "Have I bitten off more than I can chew??" stuff again. Nowadays, however, I don't need to ask, I know that I have; but without going in for the self-effacing English bloke approach here, I also know that my best shot is good enough to work for people who are just barely listening to background music as they tuck into food and drink. So all that I need to do it to put in the work and make good things happen.

Watch this space.
M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're certainly not afraid to get out there, are you, MT? Very Happy

More power to ya!
JakeJew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part is that a lot of people can't tell the difference between well played jazz and poorly played jazz
MangoTango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
The best part is that a lot of people can't tell the difference between well played jazz and poorly played jazz

I'm sincerely hoping so! Wink

Anyway, I'm sure that you meant that in the nicest possible way, Jake..... (Wink again)

Cheers M, sometimes you just gotta do these things. Even my Theory Teacher, who is one of the best musicians I've ever heard, has said that he's struggling to find gigs in these times of Crunchy Credit; so I'll take whatever I can get. It's just a chance to play and I need as many of those as I can get if I'm going to improve as a musician.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MangoTango wrote:
JakeJew wrote:

I'm sincerely hoping so! Wink

Anyway, I'm sure that you meant that in the nicest possible way, Jake..... (Wink again)

Cheers M, sometimes you just gotta do these things. Even my Theory Teacher, who is one of the best musicians I've ever heard, has said that he's struggling to find gigs in these times of Crunchy Credit; so I'll take whatever I can get. It's just a chance to play and I need as many of those as I can get if I'm going to improve as a musician.

Oh nicest of course !
MangoTango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jake, I'm sure that I can serve up the best poorly played jazz that these people have ever heard....

and since they'll be tucking into their BBQ and salad at the time, they won't even notice me sneaking some Scofield in there.... Shocked
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe just to clarify I really was NOT implying anything about your playing as I've never heard you play.

I WAS being serious in that I wonder how many people can really tell the difference between a guitarist that's been playing jazz for a year vs. one that's been playing for ten. shrug...
MangoTango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
Hehe just to clarify I really was NOT implying anything about your playing as I've never heard you play.

I WAS being serious in that I wonder how many people can really tell the difference between a guitarist that's been playing jazz for a year vs. one that's been playing for ten. shrug...

Thanks Jake, was only joking. Wink

As for your latter point......My guess would be that very few have the faintest idea and wouldn't appreciate the difference if it were served up to them on a silver salver.

Not joking there at all, sadly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: