PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie here need some help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmgnut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Newbie here need some help Reply with quote

Hi everyone, nice to have a jazz guitar forum here. I am a total newbie and have some questions, maybe someone can help. Want to purchase a guitar but I am torn between the Ibanez AF75 and the Washburn HB15. Both closely priced around 350.00 to 370.00. { that, unfortunately is my budget} My favorite "sound" is Pat Metheny, and that is the sound or "tone" I want to play. Should I get one guitar over another that would help me achieve this kind of tone? { aside from the lexicon delays and such }. Also, when you buy a new guitar, what does "setting it up" mean? Thanks!
Alexo66

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely go for the Ibanez. They are very popular guitars and are incredible for the price. Plus, Metheny's signature model(s) are Ibanez.

'Setting up' means to have the guitar adjusted to your specific requirements after purchasing, as it won't play exactly like you want it to out of the factory because everyone has different needs and perspectives on how a guitar should play/feel. I would get a good luthier to perhaps lower the action (if needed) and slap on some heavier gauge strings (11's or 12's) if your looking for the jazzier tone.
pmgnut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do flat wound strings sound like compared to typicall round wound type? Also, what would be the average cost of having a guitar set up after purchase?
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've got an Ibanez AF120 (Korean) used approx £300
its fine , anything new in your price range will be Chinese
which isn't necwssarily a bad thing at all

Ibz or these Tokia look great to me
havn't played one yet tho

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270285079306&cguid=20d7954f11d0a0aad56347a3ff7819e9

big TI flats are great ,I use TI jazz swing 13s
transformed the sound of my Ibz
Big and warm now

a set-up will bw appro £100- £120 but will be worth it
on a new guit , have it done after you decide on your
string guage and make tho , cos the tensions are all different etc

and have fun with it man !
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah
Washburn and Hagstrom are cool too

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Rich-Tone-Music-Ltd_Electric-Guitars_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

theres some good pics of the various new stuff here
Tokai Wash and Hag
pmgnut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that the strings I choose will dictate the way the shop sets it up? What if I decide down the road sometime to change strings? Does anything have to be adjusted?
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adjustments to the action/intonation/truss rod don't need to be made when you switch strings unless you are making a major change ie going from 10 to 12 going from 11 to 13 etc.

Guitars are like cars, you should have a professional look it over once a year, preferably with Guitars when the weather changes from dry to wet or from hot to cold depending on your climate. Wood changes with humidity and so your guitar will as well.

I know enough to keep my instruments in working condition and playable but I still have a guy I go to once a year with my babies and get him to do the once over on them. He charges 60 for a complete set up and he's very very very good.

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pmgnut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone, I've got a lot to learn here.

Jake - is that Jim Hall in your avatar?
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
eleven7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: humidity Reply with quote

just to expand on what Jake was saying about the weather effecting your guitar, be aware that dry air , dryer than 40% humidy anyway, can actually damage your guitar.
I noticed that you live in ct, as do I, and it does get very dry in the winter time. I keep a humidifier going day & night.
MangoTango

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunflower wrote:
Yeah I've got an Ibanez AF120 (Korean) used approx £300
its fine , anything new in your price range will be Chinese
which isn't necwssarily a bad thing at all

Unless your gig is in Tibet... Mad
pmgnut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I expect to pay here in the Northeast for a typical set up? Also does anyone have any experience with Sam Ash?
eleven7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Ash in New Haven has a great reputation when it comes to service.
I've never had any work done there myself, but I've heard a lot of good things about the guy that does the guitar work there.

Right next to Sam Ash is another music store which also does a lot of maintenance work. Bobby Pieper is the guy that does the work there.
Again, I've never entrusted one of my guitars to him before, but I've heard good things about him. I happen to know that he learned the trade from working w/ Suhr in NY who's pretty well known himself.
pmgnut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip. I have another question on tuning. I can't seem to tune it right { my current epi nylon string }. I do have a chromatic tuner and am setting the strings to all the right letters but am having great difficulty tuning the G string. It's either way too low or too high of a pitch in relation to the B and D. I either have to crank it way down to a point where the string is abnormally loose or too tight to where it is probably at a breaking point.
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks you need to take a trip down to the library and pick up one or two "Guitar 101" type books, my man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: