PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your basis for improvisation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Other Training & Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mapio08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Your basis for improvisation Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

when starting to improvise, I look at the key of the song and improvise referring to that, e.g. three bs = Ebmaj = cminor.

how do you improvise and choose your scales? according to every single chord?

thanks for replies!

matt
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a jazz song I basically reinterpret and respond to things I have heard others do. So I've figured out the solos and melodies that other people have played and try to figure out what they were thinking when they were improvising.

Being a little less obtuse, I play off the notes inside each chord, or, if there are a lot of chords, I find ways to simplify the chord progression so that it's more managable and that I don't have to play on every beat.
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding lately that the more I think about improvising rhythmically, i.e. playing with the time feel, the less I have to worry about note choices. it gets bluesier, funkier, freer, and I more often surprise myself. Cool
MangoTango

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratocasturbator wrote:
I'm finding lately that the more I think about improvising rhythmically, i.e. playing with the time feel, the less I have to worry about note choices. it gets bluesier, funkier, freer, and I more often surprise myself. Cool

Likewise; I've trying to think less and instead to trust the work I've done in practice and rehearsal. Then, when I get to play, I play. For example, I've been doing work on some excellent stuff that Jake Hanlon has done on his site (thanks JH, owe ya one!). Lo and behold, when I came to play, all this stuff was going on in the lines that were coming out, I could hear it - but i was just blowing through the changes and not thinking "b3rd, 7th; b9th, root to 3rd" etc. People who heard it told me it sounded more flowing, freer.

Gotta love that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Other Training & Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: