PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

grant green
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyler Ross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Other great records Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure nobody has mentioned the amazing Grant Green recordings with Elvin Jones and Larry Young. These are some of my favorites: "Talkin' About" and "Street of Dreams".

Grant does normally stick to the changes and his blues thing, but on one of the tracks off "Street of Dreams" he plays a lick and then plays it again transposed up a 1/2 step. Anyone know what I'm talking about?? I'll have to go back to the record to find exactly when he does it. When I first heard this, it was a revelation for me!!!

Also, Larry Young's record "Into Somethin" with Grant Green, Elvin Jones and Sam Rivers is also a gem. The first cut "Tyrone" has beautiful solos by Young and Green. Grant's solo is one of my all time favorites. It's a blues in 3/4 and the way they build melodies over the bar lines....whewwww. Plus Elvin Jones, check it out!!!!
Jazzbojesus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Other great records Reply with quote

Tyler Ross wrote:
I'm pretty sure nobody has mentioned the amazing Grant Green recordings with Elvin Jones and Larry Young. These are some of my favorites: "Talkin' About" and "Street of Dreams".

Grant does normally stick to the changes and his blues thing, but on one of the tracks off "Street of Dreams" he plays a lick and then plays it again transposed up a 1/2 step. Anyone know what I'm talking about?? I'll have to go back to the record to find exactly when he does it. When I first heard this, it was a revelation for me!!!

Also, Larry Young's record "Into Somethin" with Grant Green, Elvin Jones and Sam Rivers is also a gem. The first cut "Tyrone" has beautiful solos by Young and Green. Grant's solo is one of my all time favorites. It's a blues in 3/4 and the way they build melodies over the bar lines....whewwww. Plus Elvin Jones, check it out!!!!

Yea, I've listened to both of those for years. They are amazing. I love how Grant Green could play in any situation and still be Grant Green.
greentone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: ...still Grant Green Reply with quote

Check out the neat YouTube video that features Grant Green playing with Barney Kessel and Kenny Burrell. Green is playing with great confidence, super timing, and fluid lines. Kessel and Burrell are fine, but come off sounding a little uncomfortable in comparison to Green.

Green seems to thrive in situations like this, where he can demonstrate that he hack it.
tranefollower

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to the forum.
I got turned on to Grant Green years ago and when I heard his "timing" and the "attitude" he puts into one note, it blew my mind. What comes to mind is that he is that he is the James Brown of Jazz guitar. He has so much soul and attitude which makes up for the flash and speed. If you slowed down some of the George Benson lines and licks, you have elements of Grant Green's style.
greentone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranefollower wrote:
Hello, I'm new to the forum.
I got turned on to Grant Green years ago and when I heard his "timing" and the "attitude" he puts into one note, it blew my mind. What comes to mind is that he is that he is the James Brown of Jazz guitar. He has so much soul and attitude which makes up for the flash and speed. If you slowed down some of the George Benson lines and licks, you have elements of Grant Green's style.

Hey, tranefollower: Good observations! Grant Green had unbelievable time. I think you are right on the money concerning the notion that Benson came out of the Grant Green school. Benson has publicly said as much to Sharony Green, Grant's biographer and daughter-in-law.

Both guys are incredibly soulful.
tranefollower

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully some undiscovered material by Grant pops up. From what I read, he recorded alot but didn't record (Doesn't make sense I know) due to him not wanting his licks stolen.
In his funky years (Lighthouse - Live at Mozambique), his lines seem similiar to funky horn sections ala Maceo - Wesley while still flowing with classic jazz/blues playing. I will have to admit that my favorite Grant solo is on "A Day in the Life" with "Minor League" and "Talkin about JC" a closed second and third. Amazing!!!
alfonso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant was the man, and his music still sounds great!! No, not smooth jazz, just playing with the R&B feel of the 60's. Yeah he's not all that jazzy when being compared to other jazz guitarist, that's b/c he found his own sound and tone and for whatever reason, didn't feel a need to change anything. Could be he wasn't proficient enough, I don't know, but he certainly plays some really nice chops. Hell he was the funkmaster of his day and nobody could argue with that. I love his "ballads" CD, personally I think it's his best, he has Ike Quebec on with him blowing tenor sax and Sonny Clark tickling the ivories. Grant Green had a big drug problem unfortunately and all that krap caught up to him in the end. I read alot about him and once he started playing for BlueNote, he never stopped using drugs. Such a waste, there were alot of drug problems back then, even Ike Quebec was hooked.
jazzbox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant's tracks certainly seem to groove like no other! Gotta dig the organ work on some of those early records.

I didn't know about his drug use. I wonder how he was able to keep his habit and still afford a D'Aquisto? Smile Maybe it was given to him? I think that guitar wound up with Benson and was auctioned along with Benson's L5 that belonged to Wes. Are there any good GG albums that feature the D'Aquisto? If I remember correctly, all the albums that he used it on were not very good. But maybe I'm wrong.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzbox wrote:
Are there any good GG albums that feature the D'Aquisto? If I remember correctly, all the albums that he used it on were not very good. But maybe I'm wrong.

I wouldn't say not very good, just different. But yeah, not so straight ahead.
planetguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm kinda suprised that this far into this thread, though his tone has been discussed some....little if nothing has been mentioned about his minimal use of vibrato.

kinda ballsy i'd say... and also a very big ingredient of his sound methinks.

also garnering points for "ballsy".... on his STANDARDS album (trio format) he chooses to play "single line" for pretty much the ENTIRE album. of course there are his usual funky double stops scattered here and there but he hits only a handful of chords over the entire album!
digijazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Grant Green Reply with quote

Green Street & Born to be Blue are my personal favourites...
bad b.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a big fan too. Always nice groovy and bluesy stuff. I prefer his early recordings, especially in a hammon trio. I listen to the album Sunday morning today, great album and a nice mellow mood it brings.

A funny thing i notice is that in Grant's solo 5:33 on God bless the child, you can hear bottle fall on the floor. Anybody notice it?
greentone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bottle...

Not surprising, I'm afraid. Musicians and our...ah...medicine. What an institution. Studios, producers, etc., were very tolerant through the years of artists "needs." Jazz and alcohol/drugs were almost one word. In rock and popular music, where the money flowed freely, it was even worse. Whole albums were made in which entire bands were completely fried.

One of the greatest blues guitarists of all time would have been the guitarist in the Plastic Ono Band but for the fact that he was completely smacked out in the control room in the studio in New York and had too be subbed for.

Clapton has said that everyone on the Layla sessions was so hurt on heroin that it was improbable that anyone could stand, much less record a masterpiece.

So, yeah, a bottle...very telling...
tranefollower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up Lee Morgan "Search For The New Land". Grant Green throws down some nice solos especially on Mr Kenyata. If your a Grant fan, I would recommend it.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranefollower wrote:
I just picked up Lee Morgan "Search For The New Land". Grant Green throws down some nice solos especially on Mr Kenyata. If your a Grant fan, I would recommend it.

I'd recommend it if you're an anything fan...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: