PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Square one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HST wrote:
Just my .02 but you might want to consider learning some jazz theory I say this because without the theory side I feel you will become lost in trying to just learn chords without the understanding of how the chords are constructed. You can start by learning some shapes and patterns but to really understand jazz chords you need to be able to construct them. There are not right or wrong patterns or shapes just ones that fit or sound better within the music you are playing.

Good point, HST.
Brad Hedrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where memorizing the ENTIRE fret board comes into play though. When I learned the "power chords" for rock, I only had to worry about the root being on the 5th or 6th string, some of the "jazz" positions have the root on the 4th or 3rd string. In addition to that, the ability to construct a chord also requires a knowledge on EVERY note on the neck, so to speak.

This is where it started to get overwhelming for me, to even be able to grasp the magnitude of the learning curve ahead....

So do I let the guitar sit for a while and look at theory, or learn the 3 note min7, maj7 and dom7 positions or start memorizing the frets?

And to think, all I wanted to do was have a little fun and play the standards... LOL Just kidding, I have taken ALL of this very seriously and appreciate the great advice that has been offered. I have already ordered a couple of the books recommended here and have dug out some of my older lessons and looked at them with a new understanding.

I knew if I threw this question out here I would get some really great advice and feedback and I have not been disappointed. Thanks again to all who have posted, (and continue to post) I have read and re-read each one several times to make sure that I have understood what was intended and have even jotted down some notes based upon the advice given.

I realize that in the end I will have to just distill all of this and find what works best for me, but it is great to have so many places to explore.

Brad
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, one thing you can do, so as to not overwhelm yourself, is to learn
these things on a tune by tune basis. The new voicings, progressions,
etc., that you learn for each tune will apply to many other tunes.
Take a tune that will have very standard harmony and start there.
Then go to another tune. How about something like " All of Me" or
"I Got Rhythm"? You don't have to play them perfectly, just start
working on the changes you don't know. Will that work for you?
Viper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I recommend Jazz Chording for the Rock/Blues guitarist by Paul Lucas

http://www.paullucasmusic.com/booksinstruction.htm
Merlin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Hedrick wrote:

This is where it started to get overwhelming for me, to even be able to grasp the magnitude of the learning curve ahead....

So do I let the guitar sit for a while and look at theory, or learn the 3 note min7, maj7 and dom7 positions or start memorizing the frets?

I'll say it again: get the Leavitt book and start working out of it. He presents things a logical, step by step manner.
Brad Hedrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin, got both of your recommendations on order from Amazon, thanks for the advice.

Viper, I'm looking into that book as well. It looks very interesting and may be tailored just for particular "problems". And anyways, isn't that always one of the solutions I've read about on here for whatever ails you, either a new book or a new guitar? A book's GOT to be cheaper...

jazzerchick, I was learning tunes, starting with some of those you mentioned, actually.

I've found guitar playing is kind of like (makin' whoopee), you can do it by yourself if you have to, but it's WAY more fun with someone else... LOL

There used to be a great open mic around here and I could sit-in for a couple of tunes, but unfortunately, the place closed. When I was learning a lot of my rock tunes and getting my chops, I was actively IN a band and had a set list that I had to master and work towards.

It would be nice to have that same sort of set up, but I need to learn WAY more tunes first....
Brad
Viper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a new book

I've got a shelf full. Laughing
The thing about the Lucas book is that it might allow you to progress using your existing skills while a weaning you off them at the same time if you see what I mean. It also provides an explanation which takes into account from where you seem to be coming.
Brad Hedrick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper, I followed the link you provided and purchased the book in PDF format (the only way it was offered) by means of Paypal...... However, no link popped up to download and I can't find anywhere on the site to do so. Guess I'll have to zip him an email. It SHOULD state somewhere how his process operates.....

Thanks for the tip though, Brad
Viper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, Did you manage to sort this out.
Brad Hedrick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul has responded to 2 of my emails, but still has not forwarded me the PDF file. He stated he was in the process of "resurrecting" the entire site and had been out of town recently.

At this point, I can only take him at face value and hope that he follows through. The book DOES look really interesting.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: