PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is best lessons to train the ear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sizla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Which is best lessons to train the ear Reply with quote

HI, as I said in first post, I am beginner to guitar.
Can people give me advice on best ways to train the ear. IE, as in knowing what notes to play in solos instinctively---I know I have to learn scales etc, but I am wondering if there are specific scales or ways of practice that can really train ears for spontaneous playing?
sizla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is terrible to be ignored at forums. I sent this post frweakin ages ago!
Volume Swell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well practicing different intervals enough will get you to understand the intervals in your head. You may be playing an A, and want to hit a note a minor third down, so you go for an F#.

You won't actually know the notes by name most likely, but you'll have a very good idea of the distance you need to travel to hit the note you want.
Viper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a book and a cd or a computer program and run through that. There are loads of them. BIAB has an ear training module I think.
Memorise distinctive intervals from well known standards e.g. Take the A train begins with a sixth. . "you must...." You will then able to identify the interval by singing the lyric.
Anyone tried Steve Masakowski: Jazz Ear Training - Hear Your Way Through The Changes? I thought I might have a look at it. The Melbay Private Lessons series seems to have some good stuff.

As I mentioned before I have trained my ears to waggle in time with my playing which gets me a few gigs that I might not otherwise have got.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that replies are slow in coming. Sometimes there's a lull.

Lots of listening to the greats on recordings and playing along is always
helpful. It's of course not technical but does help train the ear.
Have you checked out Chris Standring's course, Play What You Hear?
Maybe talk with some of the guys who have it.
vracan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SING what you play...at least during practice.... don't worry if you can't sing, just do it!!...go into falsetto if need be.
There is nothing else as strrong in my opinion to internalize notes/harmony.
i first started to sing for the same reason and thought I could'nt sing and now people are telling me to not stop cause I give them shivers when I sing. Though I still prefer just playing gutar.
Peter frampton, Brian adams, elton john had to force themselves to sing for the sake of their instrument and look what came out of that!!!
Viper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Peter frampton, Brian adams, elton john had to force themselves to sing for the sake of their instrument and look what came out of that!!!

ahem! Crying or Very sad
andy_rothstein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which is best lessons to train the ear Reply with quote

sizla wrote:
Can people give me advice on best ways to train the ear. IE, as in knowing what notes to play in solos instinctively---I know I have to learn scales etc, but I am wondering if there are specific scales or ways of practice that can really train ears for spontaneous playing?

I think learning to improvise spontaneously is somewhat analagous to learning to have a conversation spontaneously. To have a conversation you need to know the actual language and have some ideas brewing in your head as to what to say. Same with Jazz improv. The language is your knowledge and familiarity with chords, scales, chord tones, arpeggios, etc. up and down the fretboard. The more comfortable you are, the more free you will be during improvisation. This of course is only part of the equation. The other critical part is to have musical ideas of what to play over changes, and these ideas will first be born by transcribing. Transcribe solos, or even just some partial solos as long as you get great ii/V lines that have meaning to you. Take these lines and play them in various places up and down the fretboard and develop exercises with them over changes you are learning. If you do this enough you will eventually develop a robust musical vocabulary and you will start personalizing these lines in your own style, and you will develop your own lines.

Hope this helps.

Peace,

Andy
http://www.myspace.com/andyrothstein
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sizla wrote:
It is terrible to be ignored at forums. I sent this post frweakin ages ago!

I'm certain you haven't been ignored, simply overlooked. It happens, people get busy.

So please have a little patience.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
Quote:

ahem! Crying or Very sad

Heh. Some sorrily bland, vanilla music maybe? One guy who's nasally and a little too happy; another who does the raspy "soulful white boy" thing, or Kurt Cobain on a heavy valium and musac regimen; and a third who reminds me of that little kid who huffs up his chest and marches around the house singing, well, march-style songs in a voice deeper than his own that he makes up as he goes along, usually about something he's in the process of doing at the moment, or just did...yeah, that voice, you know. Eh. Rolling Eyes Razz

Last edited by Generic Sobriquet on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sizla??

You there??
hanni

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...... just reading this now, i had a new idea for eartraining: singing into a guitar tuner and try to find E A D G B E bye ear......... not easy, i dont know if it works because im just doing
chrisj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too hung up on developing your ear, only experience will do it. But there are things you can do to get the ball rolling. Make an effort to start on chord tones when you practice your scales and always practice your scales to chord progressions. Practicing your scales with a metronome will do nothing for your harmonic/melodic ear, only for your rhythm. Try this for chord tones:

http://chrisjuergensen.com/chord_tones.htm

And this about ear training:

http://chrisjuergensen.com/ears_article.htm

Hope it helps.
Krah13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Which is best lessons to train the ear Reply with quote

sizla wrote:

Dear sizla. I think that I know what you mean. This procedure takes time. You have to start transcribing music. It is one of the best methods for ear training. This can help you a lot with spontaneous playing. There are some different slow-down software packages that can help you. Some of the solos are really fast. When you slow them down, it becomes easier to hear many different things as articulation, slurs, picking.

I think also that you have to combine transcription with music theory, scales, arpeggios, chromaticism to get the best results.

I hope that this will help you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: