PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Had THE lesson....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MangoTango

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Had THE lesson.... Reply with quote

I had a lesson last night with my guitar teacher, the estimable Mike Eaves, and we were going through the Locrian mode (after having covered various others in previous lessons). Funnily enough, it was my first lesson back after missing a few weeks to do a gig with a rock covers band for a charity evening, so it's not even as though I was completely up to speed with practice.

Anyway, went through the principles of where that particular scale fits, how it sounds, played over some tracks to get the feel of it......and then we went on to take a crack at Stella (by Starlight, not Artois!!) And it happened. For the first time, everything fell into place, I knew what to play over each of the changes; I felt like I had time to pick out the chord tones, played it like I was in control and knew where I was going and made it sound good, and didn't even play the same things second time through.

I don't know who was more surprised, Mike or me Shocked Shocked , but I'd sounded like A Proper Jazz Guitarist. Cool (After all this time, the real Mango appears, the one that's been hiding away in my sub-conscious, awaiting his moment).

And I couldn't help thinking, this is what you guys who know what you're doing can do all the time, and this is what I want now. It was a real light-bulb-going-on kind of moment

Idea
Smile

and the point was not lost on me. After a breakthrough like that, the woodshed beckons............

(For those on whom the above reference was lost, Stella By Starlight is a fine American jazz tune; Stella Artois is a fine Belgian lager beer. Too much of the latter almost inevitably renders impossible performance of the former). Laughing
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great for you. New inspiration.
Viper

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK Stella is a quite strong lager (5% abv) that is sold cheap in supermarkets and thus is known as wifebeater.

-------------
The song a robin sings
Through years of endless springs,
The murmur of a brook at eventide
That ripples by a nook where two lovers hide.

A great symphonic theme,
That's Stella by starlight and not a dream.
My heart and I agree
She's ev'rything on earth to me.

A great symphonic theme,
That's Stella by starlight and not a dream.
My heart and I agree
MangoTango

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey Vipes, thanks for posting the lyrics which I didn't know at all.

The one point that I didn't mention was that, as fate would have it and just to stop me getting too far ahead of myself, in the CD player in the car on the way home, was Jonathan Kresberg's "South Of Everywhere", and the next track up as I drive away....was Stella. Played brilliantly, of course. In 7/8. Shocked

Back in your place, Mango.... Confused
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, went through the principles of where that particular scale fits, how it sounds, played over some tracks to get the feel of it......and then we went on to take a crack at Stella (by Starlight, not Artois!!) And it happened. For the first time, everything fell into place, I knew what to play over each of the changes; I felt like I had time to pick out the chord tones, played it like I was in control and knew where I was going and made it sound good, and didn't even play the same things second time through.

I Thumbs Up! Love it when that happens ......

BTW where did the locrian mode go well ?
I find Stella a bit of a challenge myself
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MangoTango wrote:
The one point that I didn't mention was that, as fate would have it and just to stop me getting too far ahead of myself, in the CD player in the car on the way home, was Jonathan Kresberg's "South Of Everywhere", and the next track up as I drive away....was Stella. Played brilliantly, of course. In 7/8. Shocked

Back in your place, Mango.... Confused

While I'm not a Kreisberg fan, the implicit point here is a very good and important one, whether you realise it or not. To quote Christopher Hitchens:

"I think the essential thing for being a writer is being a good reader. The main thing, as I keep saying, never tire of saying, is to keep testing yourself against other writers who are better than you. That's what qualifies one as a writer, I think, is permanently running the risk of having to say, 'I don't know why I bother.'"

Exactly the same is true of playing and composing* music. Simply substitute the words where appropriate.

* Remember, improvisation may be—should be—defined as "spontaneous composition," and live up to that.
Viper

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kreisberg probably the best beer in the World.

Many people fix songs in their heads by learning the lyrics.

http://www.jumbojimbo.com/

oh yes they do.
MangoTango

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and the best possible result of the lesson took place last night.

Was rehearsing with the bassist & drummer (saxist on holiday) and the drummer was watching everything I did like a hawk Confused Embarassed.

Anyway, there I am, having to play the newly-learned heads, comp, do all the soloing. But it was going well and things were really starting to click. Wasn't nailing everything, but it sounded credible and musical, even without our frontline player.

We were going through the set list alphabetically from last time - well, it's as good a method as any other - and were on S. "Today's rehearsal is brought to you by the letter S, and the number 170 on the metronome" Laughing So...Summertime, St. Thomas, Sunny, Sugar, Sunshower. Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up!

After listening to about half a dozen tunes, the drummer suddenly announces that we have another gig in a few weeks!! Had I realised that I was "auditioning" under somewhat unusual circumstances, I'd probably have piled even more pressure on myself, but in the end it was all OK.

Actually, it was better than OK, wasn't it? 'Cos I got the gig. More importantly, I'm starting to move towards playing like I hear it in my head. I know that I've still got so terribly far to go, but at least it feels like I'm on the right track.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Mango
MangoTango

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I realise that this must sound like kids' stuff to you guys and also that I'm well behind the curve on this (heck jazzerchick, I still only have 6 strings on my guitar!! Wink ) but if I can't share this with the people on this board, who else is going to listen? Confused Smile
hanni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
Kreisberg probably the best beer in the World.

Many people fix songs in their heads by learning the lyrics.

http://www.jumbojimbo.com/

oh yes they do.

agree, but learning the lyric needs much time, i do that at the moment, thats why i dont be much time at this forum, have to practice much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: