PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planetalk course...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vracan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Planetalk course... Reply with quote

Hello fellow guitarists,

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried the "planetalk" course by kirk lorange?
It sounds interesting as he takes another angle at which to improvise WITHOUT really using scales/modes! Since I do know pretty well most scales and modes, but still have to go thru some "thinking" when improvising to keep track of chord/key changes, this could be great for someone like me.

Anyone???
Victor
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard of it, got a link?

Just to throw in something, you don't have to know scales, modes or much of anything to be a great player. It's most peoples way of putting into 'a box' the music, it's certainly not required. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
vracan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? no scales, no modes, nothing at all?... how about chords then, tuning??
You gotta at least know the major scale if you want to improvise freely and musically and reliable. I don't understand your answer at all.
If what you are saying is true, let me hear some proof. Are you living proof of this??

p.s.
Heres the link though: http://www.thatllteachyou.com/
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vracan wrote:
What? no scales, no modes, nothing at all?... how about chords then, tuning??
You gotta at least know the major scale if you want to improvise freely and musically and reliable. I don't understand your answer at all.
If what you are saying is true, let me hear some proof. Are you living proof of this??

That's entirely the point, you don't *need* to know anything about music and it's notation. However, I strongly suggest to be a 'complete' musician a person learns to read / write / understand music because it is a language. Language used for communicating with other musicians.

No, I'm not living proof, I'm the opposite, I pounded scales, modes, shapes for many years before truly trusting my ear. But always have these things available.

Proof : Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, George Benson. All 'by ear' players and couldn't read a lick to save their lives. There are many more.

My point in being is start training your ear along with theory. Your ear can usually be trusted, scales you have to *think* about and sometimes the thought comes too late to be of value. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
vracan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree you don't need to be able to read or write notation, but that's not what I was talking about. I am talking about theory/knowledge of HOW to associate notes to a given key/chord when improvising AND sounding musical. I also agree with you if you solely rely on visual patterns is NOT the way to go! From my 30years experience playing, the lesson I learned is to use BOTH visual and aural techniques together. I find this creates a strong anchor, with minimal "thinking" while playing.
The dudes you mention is quite possible they did not read/write music and play by "ear"(just like me), but you can bet as hell that they did grasp theory in thier own way! Go see George Benson instructional DVD- He DEFINITELY knows theory- whether it's formal or not!
So maybe what you're trying to say is that you do not need to go to some music instutution to become great, but you still need to study or analyze music at some level, in order to create your own. What level is up to the player.

Victor
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know that method but this one

http://byrnejazz.com/

is great apparently and ED doesn't use CST
in fact he believes it is not the way to go

his method uses the melody , guide tone line and root
movement with chromatic development
to develop and create lines exclusively.

Ed is a great musician and plays with all the cats
wkriski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Planetalk Reply with quote

I bought Planetalk and it is an interesting concept but it doesn't work great for jazz when lots of chords are flying by, and he's not a jazz guitarist.

With many products it is left up to you to convert scales and chord shapes into music. Many people aren't able to do this so it's useful to learn melodic phrases and how they work over chord changes as well as your regular practice routine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: