PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many licks in your bag o' tricks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many licks in your bag o' tricks?
<20
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
<50
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
<100
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
>100
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author Message
steve



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 867
Location: oz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think licks are a great insight into the potential of an idea, such as a chord, scale arp etc.

I could spend the next 5 years playing the mixolydian scale and probably come up with a few nice sounds. Come up with some interesting shades in it. However, much better players than me have also been doing this for decades and I see it as educational and wise to learn from them too. (This is what can be done, now let's see what I can do with it)

If not I may never have thought of using the notes of a Bm7b5 arpeggio on a G7, and have missed out on such a nice sound over a dominant chord.

An what isn't cliche? Better not include any third intervals in your playing then, 'cause I'm sure you would have been practicing them before and therefore this would render your idea as unoriginal or even pre conceived. If you hadn't practiced thirds up the lydian dominant scale then you might never have played that sequence where you used two in a row. Come on be original.

IMO there's nothing wrong with the licks, scales, arpeggios, pattern etc. It how you use them that matters. If you make them your own during improvisation, because you hear the idea, then that's cool. Compare that attitude to one that says here come a G7 chord I'm gonna play that Bm7b5 lick that i learned from steve ( Laughing ).

And Parker! Are you kidding me! Have you ever seen his omnibook? He plays the same ten phrases/licks in every song!! (along with other ideas of course) Laughing Parker was awesome. Liquid jazz.

Twas brillig and the slithey toves...............
_________________
Miles is the answer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lex_robben



Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely a believer in expanding your guitar lick vocabulary. You'd have to exceptionally gifted in the ears to be able to make up complicated licks you hear in your head on the spot, especially over fast tempos. I'd say a good 70% of my solos are stuff I had worked out already. The other 30% are embellishments and putting all the licks together to make the solo flow together...
_________________
Lex Robben
For free jazz and blues guitar licks and lessons, visit my blog at http://www.shadowguitarist.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group