PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HowTo : Pots on a Semi-Hollow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: HowTo : Pots on a Semi-Hollow Reply with quote

I get a regular newsletter from StewMac and this one seems quite useful for jazzers dealing with the insanity of electronics on a semi-hollow.

Here's the link:
F-hole Wiring

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That *is* pretty good.

I fished all the electronics out of a 345, at one point. Replaced the pickups and added coil taps and a phase switch. Got it all reassembled and ... it didn't work. Had to fish it all back out again and get help with the wiring.

I doubt I'll ever be that ambitious again! For some things, it pays to pay the professionals!
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this using string to keep things so they could be pulled back into sockets, but I thought the use of big rubber bands was cleaver.

I've never paid anyone to work on a guitar but man sometimes with a hollow, it's tempting! Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
I've done this using string to keep things so they could be pulled back into sockets, but I thought the use of big rubber bands was cleaver.

I've never paid anyone to work on a guitar but man sometimes with a hollow, it's tempting! Wink

Yep, I used string, too. And, I also liked the rubber band idea.
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a long piece of thick wire that's flexible enough to bend, and I'll run that from the pickup hole through to the hole for the pot. and then maybe a piece of string (the rubber bands are a cute idea) or cloth-covered wire to pull the pot into place. semi's and hollows are definitely a pain to work on, though replacing pots on "budget" guitars is always a good idea to do, and worth the trouble.
sevenflatfive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had to change the washers on my jack socket on my 175, I took an old lead and stripped the plastic plug off it so it was only as thick as the width of the hole in the body, then threaded the jack through the inside while the lead was still plugged in. Have used it a couple of times since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: