PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PWYH practice question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: PWYH practice question Reply with quote

I'm praticing the linear scale excercises in PWYH. As a variation, instead of just playing the scale, I've decided that playing a melody that I know, say Autumn Leaves, on one string, in every key, then again on another string, might be a good way to make the excercise more interesting. Any thoughts on this method?
kylesmithguitar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a useful exercise, but not necessarily in place of working on scales. A mix of those two routines would probably be ideal. I personally find the pwyh scale exercises to be great for developing some chops all around the fretboard, and probably should not be ignored. That being said, your exercise sounds really interesting. do you do the melodies in multiple keys too?
planetguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWYH???????
LarryB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylesmithguitar wrote:
I think that is a useful exercise, but not necessarily in place of working on scales. A mix of those two routines would probably be ideal. I personally find the pwyh scale exercises to be great for developing some chops all around the fretboard, and probably should not be ignored. That being said, your exercise sounds really interesting. do you do the melodies in multiple keys too?

Yes, I agree. I'm practicing the scales horizontally across the neck and vertically, one string at a time, up the neck.
And, yes, my plan is to take one tune, play it on a single string at a time, and then do it in various keys. Then add intervals, then harmonized triads and 7th chords, etc. I imagine it is going to take months to fully go through one tune with this method.

Thanks for your feedback.
Larry
LarryB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetguy wrote:
PWYH???????

Sorry. PWYH is Chris Standring's course "Playing What You Here."
LarryB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylesmithguitar wrote:

Let me ask you a follow up question about this exercise. As I use this method to explore a melody, do you think it's ok to do it from memory or should I read it? Also, do I need to think about what note I am playing at each time, or is just hearing it enough (if it is the correct note, of course)?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up, moved the thread to the Play What You Hear forum area... Cool

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
kylesmithguitar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the more you can do from memory, the better. I think exploring things that way will help you actually be able to play this stuff in a live situation, rather than having to pull out your sheet where you have written down all the keys. I don't think you need to think about each individual note by it's name, but know the intervals between notes in the melody, try to hear the melody that way. Just an opinion.
LarryB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: