PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitars I should never have sold
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MangoTango

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Guitars I should never have sold Reply with quote

And let's be honest, we've all done it. Waved goodbye to a guitar for what seemed at the time to be really good reasons, only to regret it later.

I'll start:

1978 ES355. The BB King guitar before they built the Lucille model without the f-holes. Absolutely sweet, but I was using a Strat almost exclusively so it wasn't seeing much action, and kind of needed the cash at the time, so........ Kind of Dumb, really. Crying or Very sad

1977 Telecaster. Similar kind of time, substantially the same reasons, and equally wrong. Rolling Eyes Had it set up for slide a la Muddy Waters, but it was a great workhorse guitar.

As a result, I will not sell a guitar nowadays until I'm absolutely convinced that I'll never use it again. Evil or Very Mad

How about you??
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I didn't buy an old re-painted lime-green tele
lurking cheap in a music shop
Played itself and sounded better than anything I have played since

I was probably 50s .....
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1979 wine Les Paul Standard, was jewel of a guitar.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
trotsky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...this is ironic Confused
I just dropped my old faithful 17 inch archtop off at the local music store to be sold on consignment.
I have been sweating the decision to sell it for months.
I am just not hearing that acoustic sound anymore and I have never been an hierloom kind of guy. It hasn't been touched in well over a year.
I have sold all kinds of stuff over the years...like most of us I would assume.
I am weird in that I just can't stand having a guitar around that isn't being played (loved) Embarassed .
The money will go towards a keyboard for my son (who has zero interest in the guitar Rolling Eyes )..and some quality tube amps for Daddy Wink
I will probably regret it...

Last edited by trotsky on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
randyc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's easy, I keep a record of every instrument I've owned ...

1960 (?) Danelectro 2 pu, bl/whi
1961 SG style Les Paul w/Bigsby, cherry
195? Epiphone neck, Gibson ES-330 body, 1 P-90, sunburst
1965 Mosrite 2 pu, sunburst
1968 ES-335 w/Bigsby, cherry
1959 Les Paul Junior, 1 P-90, sunburst
1979 Les Paul Deluxe, 2 JS pu, natural

Most of these were nothing to write home about but I'd like to have the Epiphone back again, it was a unique guitar, put together during the transitional period with a mixed bag of parts ... played and sounded marvelous.

I quit selling guitars and amplifiers about 30 years ago. I'm running out of closet space.

cheers
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy cow rc! If you would have held off on some of those...jeez...

randyc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
holy cow rc! If you would have held off on some of those...jeez...

I know, I know, young and stupid. Two of those ('59 LP Jr & 68 ES-335) are still in the family, gave the former to my brother and the latter to my uncle. The remainder --- just really bad decisions.

I don't sell anything any more as a result of decades of lingering remorse:) I don't know where the current collection will eventually end up, neither of my children has the slightest interest.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randyc wrote:
I know, I know, young and stupid.

Young, yeah, stupid..I doubt it. Laughing I let things go of value when I was young it was because I didn't have a choice, and in retrospect would likely do it again based on situation of the times. Wouldn't be shocked if most of us had relative reasons.

My kids have no interest either, but I don't have many guitars anyone else would value as much as I do anyway. Half of them are my own build so there's certainly no street value there. Confused

StratmanUK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my first ever Strat in 1969 (A Pre CBS Arbiter version bought in the very early 60's) after getting married in '68... Rolling Eyes

It had been a white strat, but some years prior (64/5) I had repsrayed it deepest PINK...about that time Mr Hendrix also had a pink Strat...(klingon Rolling Eyes Laughing )
I was not getting any work then due to not being able to afford the requisite Marshal Stacks of the time BUT I was turning down Drum work (I was also a lapsed drummist Laughing ) due to not having a kit then...
So, I took a miserly offer that then paid for the Premier Drums I was about to own for the coming years, I then joined a big band/function band playing all the jazz and dance band standards...one end of the scale to another so to speak...I then went playing modern jazz bass thro' a WahWah but thats another story... Embarassed

I also owned a weird looking WANDRÉ semi acoustic guitar that had a D shaped hollow aluminium neck -hence no truss rod?...it was really a cheaper guitar but dead interesting & with a wicked sound to match...
That Italian company did TWO styles, with one being a solid body rather looking like a lavatory seat? Embarassed Razz Shocked Shocked and mine that was semi acoustic/veri-thin style body with two encapsulated pick ups and a trem arm that soon broke but as replaced with a Bigsby arm.

I now seem to collect strats?... plus now an Ibanez Gem with the green 'Ivy' figured fingure board...I kept back 2 of my sons guitars when he emigrated to the USA (the Gem and an Malsteem Strat brand new due to extra high shipping costs)...they ALL have diffo sounds in my book too?

Strangely I have always obtained white strats too and have just refinished/resprayed my 1970s Strat "Antique White", after the original off white finish was somehow attacked, presumably by tobacco fumes held in its case after leaving it "under the bed" fer many years thus making it quite BROWN all over the body? Evil or Very Mad
...I was a heavy smoker last time I'd used it but a none smoker now for ten years +

I'm now in my mid 60's and will keep ALL my geetars & equipment, especially having just reformed a small local band after being "dormant" for many years... Laughing Wink
I run various amps from Marshalls to a Polytone 104 that I am also restoring as I have worked within amps and electronics for around 50 years now... Wink
7/4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that pink Strat Hendrix owned is the one he gave Billy Gibbons...I think that one was pink too.

Unless of course Hendrix had TWO pink Strats!
Disco Volante

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guitar I regret selling the most was a mid 80's Fender Flame guitar which was the precursor of the Robben Ford model.
Sort of half way between a strat and a les paul.

Nice guitar.
bruciekins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the biggest dork af all Sad I traded in or soldTHREE pre CBS Strats (all about '61). One of them lost value by being modded by my genius Dad- but what a mod! In about '66 he worked out a way to have any combination of pickups, like Kinmans' K7. He also added a switch and volume control to isolate the neck pickup so I could preset my lead sound and switch from rhythm to lead at the flick of a switch (like a Jazzmaster- but neither of us knew that). The thing was- the Beatles were big, and they didn't use Strats.

So I bought a 335- the one with the trapezoid bridge. That one I sold to get back to South Africa from England- I could easily have had a stud fitted.

I picked up a Les Paul S.G. for next to nothing- Cherry Red with a Bigsby Trem. That guitar was a honey with an ultra slim neck. I traded it in for a S.G. Custom, the worst guitar I've ever had. It did nothing right- it wouldn't stay in tune, sounded bad and was not a joy to play.

My next folly was a 70's Tele. I sprayed it red myself, can't think why I got rid of it. I also sold a rosewood Tele like the one George Harrison used in the rooftop gig. I don't regret that much, as I never took to that guitar.

Another nice guitar was a Wahburn solid body nylon. I traded it in for a DRUM BOX Embarassed (which lies rotting in my garaqge). The thing with a guitar like that is that it's nice to have, but not essential- you only buy a guitar like that when you have spare money and don't need anything else- and that doesn't happen often in most musicians lives.

Now I have learned my lesson. I haven't sold a guitar for years, I hang on to them grimly. All my life I will be chasing the dragon (like a heroin addict trying to recreate his first high) trying to get a guitar like my nipple pink (don't think that's the correct name, but that's what we called it) L series Strat.I never thought much about tone, with that guitar it was a given- nowadays you'd call it plug-and-play. The moral of the story? Never, ever sell a guitar you like.
cfrahme52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here goes.

Guitars I've owned:
(all years approx.)
1965 MOSRITE Ventures model-candy apple red metallic
1970 HOFNER Beatle Bass 500/1
1973 MARTIN D28
1974 GIBSON Howard Roberts Custom-wine red finish
1980 IBANEZ George Benson GB10-natural
1986 MARTIN D41
1988 MARTIN D45
1990 SCGC Custom D
2000 YAMAHA AEX11500
Also wish I kept my 1964 FENDER Vibrolux Reverb amp and ca. 1980s YAMAHA G100 2-12II amp

Wish I kept 'em all!
randyc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a not-so-subtle point to this thread, LOL. If we old-timers could make a suggestion to younger members (and assuming that they "listen" Smile )

Buy good stuff and keep it - no apologies, no regrets.

This was a VERY interesting topic, lots of fine instruments described ... IMO cfrahme52 "wins" - he is most probably not happy about it!
cjm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been some I was happy to be rid of.

Three I wish I'd kept:

1957 Fender Esquire. Not much of a guitar for my purposes, but I only paid $100.00 for it in 1970. Almost, not quite, but almost pristine. If I hadn't dumped it a few years later I could sell it today for enough to buy a good late model used car. But noooo.

1977 L-5 CES. The only L-5 I ever touched that was built during the 1970s that really felt and sounded like an L-5 to me. Paid $1400 and change for it brand new at the long gone downtown Hoffman's Music store in Spokane, Washington after rejecting the new Super 400 hanging next to it. That place used to be like a candy shop to me. Some guy in Europe has it now. Hope he appreciates it. No I don't. I hope he dropped it and the neck broke.

Early 1950s (never dated it) L-48 with a Dearmond added. Just one of those happy accident guitars that despite being a cheap "student grade" box would blow away most old P90 equipped ES-175's and with an action like butter. Its only shortcoming was the lack of access to the upper frets. Got it for pocket change, but then it later had to go to pay (as I recall) for one of my kids to go to a dentist. The guy who got it wanted to beat cowboy chords and sing off key through his nose like a sick calf.

But then, what the hell. You look at what is available today for basically little more than pocket change, and compare that to what a new and playable guitar used to cost when most electric guitars were built in the States with a lot of hand work...and maybe we're actually living in the "real golden age" of guitars. Not a golden age for working class stiffs to play collectible guitars, but if guitar playing, rather than collecting, is the end sought, today's CNC built boxes from Asia have smashed a lot of the old barriers to entry.

I should go practice for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: