PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet another new member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StratmanUK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Yet another new member Reply with quote

Hi...I'm a UK Strat player (not jazz atm btw... Rolling Eyes )
Joined here really as a techy idea as I am now pretty well retired with over 50 years electronics experience as well as similar playing all styles of music...
I have the great experience of working with valves (tubes) from the early days of late 50's/early 60's, the introduction of early transistors and all the later surface mount stuff that I worked wiv before redundancy as a Senior Electronics Engineer working for an American Company doing all the techy stuff for shows & touring stuff based here in the UK...
So I look forward to hearing other peeps issues and I am most happy to help out as and when I can...?
I now work from home repairing/rebuilding all those good old amps & effx from way back...currently rebuilding a Polytone 104 that I first "met" in the 1970's after rebuilding BOTH power stages following vandalism...( a keyboard player had used it...)
I live withing 15 miles of where Marshall (UK) make all their amps btw... Wink
Good to be here btw... Laughing
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've had quite a career. Welcome.
StratmanUK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JC...yes I suppose I have in one way or another...
Life to me started off within a musical family anyway..my father and all his brothers were a well known (locally) brass band family hence I started off playing brass instruments/rudiments of music as 2nd nature etc...

I initially played drums (Sea Cadets / miltary and classical style) and guitar as a teenager in the late 50's and went with the flow during the 60's rock & roll invasion and played alongside most famous UK stars of that era...as I matured so did my taste and style I have played most styles over the years inc modern jazz but my personal pref really is the Blues these days tbh... etc

Being a formally trained electrical & electronics type, as a profession from leaving school as an apprentice, I also took to very early day electronics especially within group equipment etc, that grew over the years of course...
I'd initially worked from home from the 60's-70's until I became involved at a more commercial level - mainly within TV engineering back then too.

I benefit from a thorough and VERY long experience dating back to valve days (Tubes) and experienced all the breakthroughs with Germanium transistors then the silicon age...NOW I work with miniature surface mount multi sided PCBs as well of course...

I ultimately became a Senior Electronics Engineer working for a large worldwide company, repairing & problem solving all sorts of stage and major venue equipment mainly within Europe but also within the USA...

I stopped playing bigtime some years back but STILL do odd gigs as and when it suits me although I am approaching retirement now...I have returned to working casually from home just fixing stuff again... Wink

I almost took a job with Marshall amps some time ago as their main factory is very near to my home in the UK...
Anyway in a nut shell there you have it...
I look forward to hearing others issues and learning myself with luck...
Good to be here and thanx for your welcome.. Laughing Laughing
M

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Stratman!
StratmanUK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers M and kind regards from the UK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: