PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lesson Time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burke1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Lesson Time Reply with quote

I am currently taking guitar lessons again (my college instructor now gives private lessons at a store) and it seems that the basic 1/2 hour lesson goes by really fast. I am not a beginner, so I catch on quickly, and now since we are concentrating on Jazz, and just touching on classical enough to keep up on sight reading, it does not seem like enough time.

For those who take or give lessons, is a half hour the standard? What if the student is more advanced?
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lesson Time Reply with quote

burke1 wrote:
I am currently taking guitar lessons again (my college instructor now gives private lessons at a store) and it seems that the basic 1/2 hour lesson goes by really fast. I am not a beginner, so I catch on quickly, and now since we are concentrating on Jazz, and just touching on classical enough to keep up on sight reading, it does not seem like enough time.

For those who take or give lessons, is a half hour the standard? What if the student is more advanced?

I know a lot of teachers in shops only do half hour lessons. But one time I took lessons from a Berklee teacher (to rename unnamed!) and they were frikkin expensive and only a half hour.

For me I'll give kids under 8 or 10 years old half hour lessons, everybody older than that gets 45 minutes, and students who are motivated and really interested in the guitar get an hour if they want to pay for it.
burke1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about seeing what he would charge for more time (an hour), but I think that would get expensive! Some times if his las student cancels we spend more time, he has a full schedule on the day I attend.
I just wanted to get a feel for what others were dealing with.
Thanks
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was self-taught until just last year when I decided to study privately, which I did for about a year. those lessons were an hour long. I think that's fairly typical.
burke1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratocasturbator wrote:
I was self-taught until just last year when I decided to study privately, which I did for about a year. those lessons were an hour long. I think that's fairly typical.

If you don't mind me asking, how much were the hour lessons?
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind. the guy was/is a pro...jazz and session guy in nyc area. lessons ran $50/hr out of his house.
burke1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
45 minutes should be sufficient for an intermediate student if time is managed well.

30 minutes is a bit too short for intermediate and way too short for advanced students.

My thought exactly.
It seems like we just get started on a concept, and just as we get started to truly explore, time is up.

Next week I will inquire about more time.
I am learning tons incomparison to the years past. Or maybe I enjoy it more now, and I treat it as an pleasure instead of "home work", like I did in school.

Anyway I love it.
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My students through the University I teach at get 45mins a week with me 1 on 1 and a 1hr 15 minute Rhythm Section class every week with all the rhythm faculty.

My private students on my own time get hour long lessons unless they are beginners to the instrument in which they get 30 minutes.

Children under the age of 16 automatically only get 30 minutes because they cannot pay attention for any longer then that.

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tkearn5000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience a one hour lesson is pretty standard when the student is advanced. Especially if you plan on covering aspects of both classical and jazz a half hour lesson is not going to give you enough time. When I was in college I had hour lessons and alternated one week on classical and one week on jazz.

As far as pricing it kinda depends on the instructor and the location. I've seen hour lessons in music stores for as low as $35, and lessons from well known guitarists up to and well over $100 per hour. The only way to find out is to do some asking. Let your teacher know that you think you need more time to cover the material and see what he thinks.
Viper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hardly had any lessons (and it shows Sad ) partly through lack of bread and partly because I am mean. The lessons I have had have been disappointing but maybe I wasn't advanced enough.

What I to ask is what is it about personal lessons that makes it worth $x an hour, because it seems a lot to me and I would like to gain real and lasting benefit after all you can get DVD say with Jimmy Bruno for about the same or less and go over it at you leisure.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
I've hardly had any lessons (and it shows Sad ) partly through lack of bread and partly because I am mean. The lessons I have had have been disappointing but maybe I wasn't advanced enough.

What I to ask is what is it about personal lessons that makes it worth $x an hour, because it seems a lot to me and I would like to gain real and lasting benefit after all you can get DVD say with Jimmy Bruno for about the same or less and go over it at you leisure.

Sounds like you've just had crappy teachers.
Viper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly, but what would a good teacher teach? I know people develop very good relations with their teachers.

I have had lessons from guitarists whose names would be recognised by other contributors at least in the UK if not internationally and although I have a profound respect for their playing they were not able help me. I did not get anything that I would not have got from a book or a master class.

Jake man, maybe we should consider another hypothesis that it was not teachers who were crappy but the taught.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
Quite possibly, but what would a good teacher teach? I know people develop very good relations with their teachers.

I have had lessons from guitarists whose names would be recognised by other contributors at least in the UK if not internationally and although I have a profound respect for their playing they were not able help me. I did not get anything that I would not have got from a book or a master class.

Jake man, maybe we should consider another hypothesis that it was not teachers who were crappy but the taught.

Nah! Great players can be terrible teachers.

I think a good teacher should have the knowledge and abilities of a great player but can also pay close attention to your playing and your goals and help you with very specific things to practice that will make your playing sound more like you want it to sound. A book or masterclass can't be attentive to you as an individual in this manner.
Viper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I think you have answered my question. Now I shall have to find such a person and the money. I did know somebody who could have fulfilled this role but he passed away. We just used to have a couple of beers together and chat about the jazz and players that we had known.
MangoTango

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very lucky as regards teachers - I have one guy for theory and one for guitar, alternate weeks. They're both former NYJO (National Youth jazz Orchestra) of Great Britain players and are regulars on the London session, gigs, recording circuit.

Plus my theory guy has at various times been MD for the bigger theatres in London's West End. He has, maybe once or twice, given me the full hour for the hour's lesson. Most of the time it's a lot more than that, normally an hour-and-a-half or so, and he's always dishing out stuff on disk etc for me to listen to and try out. £20 for that ($32) is a bargain.

The guitar teacher tends to stick exactly to the hour, but to be honest, so much of what he does is pretty detailed and quite intense, so I'm not sure that my tiny brain could cope with a lot more. I'm not complaining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: