PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazz music on classic guitar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiulin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Jazz music on classic guitar Reply with quote

Hello.
I'm a classic guitarist and I'm new to this forum.

Can you suggest me some nice jazz music to play on classic guitar?

Tks.
ES175

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulf Wakenius is great!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazz music on classic guitar Reply with quote

fiulin wrote:
Hello.

Tks.

Hi "fiulin"
Have you listened Joe Pass recording named "Song For Ellen"?.........great solo jazz guitar stuff on nylon strings! And what about Gene Bertoncini? His playing is beautiful, he lives in NY and mainly plays standards songs on classical guitar. Donīt forget Lenny Breau! I think you can get some links from this website, sure.
Maybe you can get some of these instructional books in your area, I really like all of them:
* "Jazz Guitar Etudes" by Alan de Mause (en each Etude, youīre getting ideas, concepts for sel-accompaniment, and fingerstyle techniques for playing solo jazz guitar)
* "101 Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar Licks by Alan de Mause (just licks for solo fingerstyle jazz guitar)
* "Solo Jazz Guitar" by Alan de Mause (original tunes for fingerstyle, it is a "in the style of..........." kind of book.
* There a couple of beautiful transcriptions of Bill Evans music for solo guitar, one of my favorites. The authors Sid Jacobs and Greg Stone. I donīt remember the exact books names right now................
Hope you can check some of this stuff, and please, let me know how itīs
going,
Regards,
Daniel
fiulin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answer: I'll check out everything and will let you know!

Thanks a lot!
Jazz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youīre welcome, and please, let me know.
Regards,
Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazz music on classic guitar Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
fiulin wrote:
Hello.

Tks.

Hi "fiulin"
Have you listened Joe Pass recording named "Song For Ellen"?.........great solo jazz guitar stuff on nylon strings! And what about Gene Bertoncini? His playing is beautiful, he lives in NY and mainly plays standards songs on classical guitar. Donīt forget Lenny Breau! I think you can get some links from this website, sure.
Maybe you can get some of these instructional books in your area, I really like all of them:
* "Jazz Guitar Etudes" by Alan de Mause (en each Etude, youīre getting ideas, concepts for sel-accompaniment, and fingerstyle techniques for playing solo jazz guitar)
* "101 Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar Licks by Alan de Mause (just licks for solo fingerstyle jazz guitar)
* "Solo Jazz Guitar" by Alan de Mause (original tunes for fingerstyle, it is a "in the style of..........." kind of book.
* There a couple of beautiful transcriptions of Bill Evans music for solo guitar, one of my favorites. The authors Sid Jacobs and Greg Stone. I donīt remember the exact books names right now................
going,
Regards,
Daniel
"THE BILL EVANS GUITAR BOOK", 14 COMPLETE ARRANGEMENTS BY SID JACOBS IS A FANTASTIC BOOK, NOT ONLY FOR UNACCOMPANIED GUITAR SOLOS , BUT MORE AND ABOVE ALL FOR LEARNING A NEW WAY OF APPROACHING GUITAR. SID IS INFLUENCED BY LENNY BREAU SO THAT'S ANOTHER GOOD ADVICE TOO.
HAPPY TO SEE YOU GUYS TALKIN' ABOUT THIS , MARCO TURCO
www.marcoturco.com
marcoturco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazz music on classic guitar Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
fiulin wrote:
Hello.

Tks.

Hi "fiulin"
going,
Regards,
Daniel
"THE BILL EVANS GUITAR BOOK", 14 COMPLETE ARRANGEMENTS BY SID JACOBS IS A FANTASTIC BOOK, NOT ONLY FOR UNACCOMPANIED GUITAR SOLOS , BUT MORE AND ABOVE ALL FOR LEARNING A NEW WAY OF APPROACHING GUITAR. SID IS INFLUENCED BY LENNY BREAU SO THAT'S ANOTHER GOOD ADVICE TOO.
www.marcoturco.com

and i forgot , there's the cd along with the book, and it's great to listen as an unaccompanied guitar solo album , cause that's what it is,
marco
Jazz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazz music on classic guitar Reply with quote

marcoturco wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
fiulin wrote:
Hello.

Tks.

Hi "fiulin"
going,
Regards,
Daniel
www.marcoturco.com

and i forgot , there's the cd along with the book, and it's great to listen as an unaccompanied guitar solo album , cause that's what it is,
marco

Hi Marco,
Iīm glad you like Sid īs book too, and it is true, the companion Cd is beautiful, great for listening!
In order to keep the "harmonic thing" of Bill Evans, and take it to the guitar, you need to learn another way of approaching the instrument! Right?
Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: jazz on classical Reply with quote

Hi,
I played flamenco and all kinds of folk (bulgarian, greek etc...) on a classical before i got into jazz. Now I mostly use electric but still really enjoy sitting down with a nylon string even when playing swing type standarts. In the end its the content and the spirit that makes it jazz and really the instrument is just a medium. I think its great to use the classical for jazz, it lends a lovely color.
Lenny Breau did some excellent stuff with it, all kinds of great Brazilian Bossa Nova stuff is also nylon business, some of the modern flamenco players such as Tomatito have done it.(check out the Michel Camilo and Tomatito album if you can, great jazz-flamenco-latin jazz fusion)
Good luck on your music,,,
Jacek from Toronto
Jazz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: jazz on classical Reply with quote

I would suggest anything by Ralph Towner. He has a real intereting and "classical" approach to jazz. And he is never too obvious. I also like his unpolished but expressional sound and musical ideas. A lot of guitarist pick up the nylon string and just apply their electric style. I myslef find the nylon to be a totaly different instrument in a lot of ways. And when I play it the musical ideas differ very much from my sound on the electric.

To all you classical guitarist out there. Congratulations! You have a unike advantage in your skills even when it comes to jazz. Use it instead of loosing it in those long hours of building up the jazz chops.

Good Luck/
Hank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

John McLaughlin may be of interest for someone looking for jazz on a nylon string guitar. He's used all sorts of guitars over the years but he's recorded albums where he plays a nylon string exclusively. Live at Royal Festival Hall is one such example and there are others.
zoki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: charlie byrd Reply with quote

charlie byrd is great and he plays classical guitar
Bert Fever

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested, I've recorded some tracks using nylon string guitars. Feel free to have a listen...

http://beam.to/leetobin
Hugh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Jazz On Nylon Reply with quote

I'm also a classical guitarist, learning Jazz standards. I suggest you get "The Real Book", sixth edition. There are many great songs in this book which can be adapted to the classic guitar.

Try these:

Autumn Leaves
Misty
Satin Doll
Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man of Mine (try transposing it to D)
Don't Get Around Much Anymore

The book will give you the melody and the chords. You are going to have to integrate the melody with harmony and rhythm in your own arrangement. Its very satisfying to be able to do this. It is helpful to be able to play two or three octave arpeggios or interesting chord fills to flesh-out the song.
alfonso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiulin,
One of the greatest guitarist ever who turned classical to jazz and everthing in between was the great Charlie Byrd. Some people regarded his music as elevator music, but that's just a one sided opinion, he had also recorded with the "Great Guitars" for concord records. They were, Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel and Charlie. He was a pioneer in the Bossa Nova years with Sax man, Stan Getz, I can't think of anyone who did more when it comes to turning classical into jazz or combining the two. Check him out! His books are everywhere, his music is not easy, listen to a recording. Charlie passed away, I think in 99, but his brother Joe Byrd, master Bass player, has a site and more info. Cool Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: