PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting restarted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Getting restarted Reply with quote

I am getting back to playing after a 20 year absents. I still have my Mickey Baker Vol.1 & 2 books along with Howard Morgan's Concepts book and wondered after all these years it there's something better to study for a new/old beginner to learn full chord melody arrangements and improvising over them ? I'm very excited to have the time to get back into playing and appreciate any help from the forum.
Dave
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Superdave.......

I don't know about books much
(others will tell you their faves I'm sure)
I just surf Youtube these days cos you can see the fingers

start working on tunes straight away .....
that way you'll get results and it won't just be an exersize
which can get boring quick

I do know that one really good thing to get down is to learn the 4 inversions
for each of these 7th chords (4 note chords chords)
on the top 4 strings

Maj 7th
Dom 7th
Min 7th
Min 7th b5 (half diminished)
Dim

then do the middle four strings

Its a bit of work but it gives you the freedom to
put the melody note on top of the chord

have fun
Viper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am not a chord melody player (not clever enough). I wonder if a martin taylor DVD with the music transcribed into a booklet in both the deaded tab and stave might help.

Martin Taylor: Jazz Guitarist and Martin
Taylor: Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar

about $40 or 25 each and cheaper 2nd hand on the net.

good luck.
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second the suggestion to get the barry galbraith books. they're not the be-all end-all but for chord melody they're great, very playable (with some practice of course) and run the gamut from fairly basic to complex. I sometimes like to take a tune, learn the galbraith arrangement, and then go to the real book or whatever the basic chart is, and work through the changes vs. comping/soloing. and the tunes in the galbraith books are definitely from the basic repertoire--all worth knowing. btw, once I come out the other end of learning a tune this way, I often have a few ideas for constructing a chord melody of my own.

as far as restarting the whole toolkit, well there are obviously dozens of methods and approaches. but the galbraith volumes are a good start vs chord melody... imho. Cool
superdave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of Barry Galbraith till now. That's why this forum is so great. Already read up on him and have Vol.1 & 3 coming.
Thanks, Dave
Viper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave
Use the search facility on this forum to learm about Barry Galbraith he has come up a number of times.

You can download free 42 chord melody arrangements in a pdf from the net. And his widow forwent the copyright as a tribute to him so its free.

Personally I wouldn't recommend this because they are advanced pieces which require you to be a very advanced quitarist. I don't know about his other stuff.

There are lots of tedious chord melody players about because they do not take onboard the immense amount of technique that is required to achieve clarity of expression in this the most demanding aspect of jazz guitar playing.
Jazzie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Joe Pass video. It is easier to learn when you can see and hear what he is talking about. There are probably samples of his video on Youtube.
Krah13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Getting restarted Reply with quote

superdave wrote:
I am getting back to playing after a 20 year absents. I still have my Mickey Baker Vol.1 & 2 books along with Howard Morgan's Concepts book and wondered after all these years it there's something better to study for a new/old beginner to learn full chord melody arrangements and improvising over them ? I'm very excited to have the time to get back into playing and appreciate any help from the forum.
Dave

Superdave, welcome to the forum. The books of Barry Galbraith are excellent. If you want to start developing your own chord melodies I will suggest you the books of Jody Fisher.
Check out my site. I have many lessons on how to improvise over standard tunes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: