PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24 3/4" conversion necks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetguy

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: 24 3/4" conversion necks Reply with quote

well, i sold my old '68 maple tele neck that i'd had on a Warmoth thinline tele that i put together.

so as not to miss out playing that gtr i've "temporarily" taken the neck off my '97 AMERICAN Strat and have been enjoying tremendously it on the tele.

...but of course....i do miss my strat!

so, obviously i need to get another neck. i should mention that this thinline tele is my "jazz tele"....

now, as much as i dig FENDER (scale) gtrs...i'm seriously thinking of ordering a WARMOTH 24 3/4" conversion neck made out of mahogany w a rosewood 'board in the fat boatneck shape.

to me this seems like it would the perfect "jazz recipe" for a tele.

and then i think...well it's getting away from actually being a "tele".

then i think..."so what?"

i wonder does anyone have exp w these conversion necks and have any words of wisdom to share?

words not so wise will be welcomed as well! Laughing
planetguy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep..."normal" fender scale length is 25.5

i'm not sure 'bout the how and why tech side of it....but no, you don't have to move the bridge to adjust for the shorter scale.

pretty cool, huh?
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a "jazz tele" with a lollar charlie pickup in the neck position, and that's exactly what I have for the neck--mine is flame maple/brazilian rosewood with the shorter "conversion" scale. I just love the thing. because it has a bit less string tension, you can get away with heavier strings without having to jack up the action too much. with a 52-11 set, I can even still use some of the string bending moves I like occasionally. but then again it's still great for legato playing as well--slurring and hammering etc. so count me in as a huge thumbs up. and it still twangs and barks like a tele when I want it to. I think that has more to do with wood selection (the body is swamp ash) than the scale. the mahogany will probably color slightly "darker" than a maple neck but if you have a standard bridge tele pickup it'll sound like like a tele. and that's sometimes a nice option to have--particularly the two-pickup sound--for comping/rhythm playing. hope it works out for you... Cool
planetguy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes...i recall you posting a pic of that beauty. copper colored if memory serves, no?

" the mahogany will probably color slightly "darker" than a maple neck..."

yep, exactly why i'm going that way.

"....but if you have a standard bridge tele pickup it'll sound like like a tele."

it's got RIO GRANDE p/u's. their MUY GRANDE in the bridge (which i'll leave there) and TALL BOY in the neck which i think i'm gonna swap out for the GFS Lil" Puncher Tele HB'er.

love to drop in one of those Lollar CC's but don't want to go the bucks! Wink
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it's goldtop gold--a gibson color on a fender-style guitar! works for me. yeah the charlie is expensive but it's perhaps my favorite pickup for jazz & blues and that means a favorite amongst about 20 different instruments. it really has a gorgeous voice. I wish it weren't so darn expensive too, because I'd be tempted to load up a tele with three of them!

well post your observations when it's all finished. I've always heard positive things about the rio grande pickups--never been a customer myself. Cool
jamester

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered this thread!

I actually did just this a while back; I made a "partscaster" tele and got a Warmoth conversion neck in '59 Roundback shape. The body is solid swamp ash, and I was really going for a best of both worlds guitar, so I've got a neck humbucker as well as a traditional 3-saddle bridge and tele bridge pickup.

The point is that while it's a very cool guitar, it ain't a tele. The conversion neck gave the guitar a kind of "honking" type mid-tone...great for fat single notes high on the neck, but also a little wonky sounding in the lower registers. Notes have an "aw" nasal tone to them, if that makes sense.

Cut to present day, I just scored a '69 Thinline tele for a great price. I never really cared for the pickguard, and always thought I needed Gibson-scale and humbuckers to be happy...but to my surprise I'm finding this guitar more "jazzy" than my Warmoth. Playing with 11 guage isn't as hard as I remembered on Fender-scale and the neck is perfectly chunky. With a better bridge and some quality pickups this will out-jazz what I thought was going to be my perfect jazz tele.

Just one man's experiences and observations...
illustry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also done this with a warmoth build. Notes are clear from bottom to top on all strings but it seems to me that's more to do with overall string tension, body wood, and pickups than scale length alone. i use 12's for strings.

Wondering if anyone has used compensated saddles with this shorter scale - specifically the 3-piece brass ones w 2 strings each to a "barrel" and thus the compensation is built in. Callaham enhanced vintage brass saddles would be an example.

I am wondering if the intonation is better or worse seeing as how the offsets are designed for the longer fender scale. On the flip side, though, i think the stock saddles give better intonation than on the 25.5 scale neck, because the slightly shorter scale brings the "offsets" closer together. So that might be a positive for the conversion neck.

Does anyone have experience with the 3pc compensated saddles on this scale length? Thanks-
planetguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i've postponed getting that new neck for the time being.

one, 'cos i've really been digging the strat neck i have on that thinline now and two...just seems my gear money has been going elsewhere towards other "musthaves".

latest "musthave" i scored is an '88 FLATIRON A5JR mando that i'm really enjoying.

as for the bridge saddles....both my teles have the modern six pc saddle heavier/more mass bridge.
illustry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you're probably not missing anything. i chose the short scale neck because i also had a les paul at the time and wanted to keep things similar. i honestly prefer the 25.5 scale as i have big hands/fingers.

update on saddles - guy at warmoth says intonation is "just as good" with either scale length. while i know this can't be true it's as least encouraging enough to give them a try.
jamester

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use compensated brass saddles with my conversion neck, and the intonation is as good as can be to my ears.

My current thinline is still stock with non-compensated saddles, and boy is there a difference!
planetguy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well you're probably not missing anything. i chose the short scale neck because i also had a les paul at the time and wanted to keep things similar. i honestly prefer the 25.5 scale as i have big hands/fingers.

ya know what they say, big hands..............big gloves.

well, i defineitely plan on going this way. for me i appreciate the longer scale on strats and teles, but i really don't enjoy playing jazz as much on the longer necks....and that has to do w the the tone as i hear it....just too much of that strong fundamental to my ears.

as far as keeping things the same (scale length)...that really has never been a concern for me since i also play mando and acoustic bass. Wink
planetguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought i'd revive this old thread to give y'all an update. cracked up a little when i saw:

"so as not to miss out playing that gtr i've "temporarily" taken the neck off my '97 AMERICAN Strat and have been enjoying it tremendously on the tele."

"temporarily" yeah, ok. wow...the time, she really do fly!

good news for my strat....i've finally gotten around to ordering that shortie from Warmoth for my tele thinline.

i went w a 24 3/4" FATBACK mahogany Strat neck w indian rosewood fingerboard. i would have prefered a little wider at the nut but the widest avail for the conversion neck is 1 11/16"

now i just have to wait the 6-8 wks it's gonna take them build it! yikes. i sure hope that's a conservative estimate for the build-up time.

review to follow after it arrives.
planetguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got the neck. and it is a beaut!

the good....great looking mahogany neck and the rosewood board is very nice too.

nice even well dressed frets.

very good build quality.

love the strat headstock on a tele look.

well cut nut.

now, for the bad....this is one fat neck!

i'd really hoped the shorter scale w bigger mass mahogany mass neck would really impart more of a jazz thang re. a warmer tone....and it does... to a small degree.

but i guess a tele be a tele be a tele. duh.

well, look for it in the classifieds pdq. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: