PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rythm help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlart

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Rythm help Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Have a request to you more experienced jazz players, Since I am new to the jazz playing style I been having difficulties in understanding and executing bebop/Swing rythms which is some sort of chopped 8th notes. If possible could someone record and post a simple 8th and/or triplets scale exercise or point me to some site where this material is avaible? I appeciate the help.

TIA,

JLArt
Wildfield

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be slightly off topic, but check out Emily Remler's Hot Lick's video lesson. Someone posted this on YouTube...here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiO3er5yHNo&feature=PlayList&p=28C20384C26994D2&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=6

By the way, the link above seems to automatically proceed to several other Emily Remler clips (lessons and performances).

Emily's HL video covered a lot of basic jazz rhythm concepts. If you do a search on YouTube, you'll find other Emily Remler lesson clips. She seemed to focus a lot on rhythm and swing, so hopefully you will find something helpful from one of her lessons.

Good luck in your search for this kind of material.

Darryl
jlart

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! Emily could certainly jazz. The best Lady guitar player I seen in a long time. Like the the way she teaches too , so sad she passed away Sad.

Thanks, I hope I can get the full lenght video.

TC,
JLart
greentone

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emily Remler could really swing. In the clips that come from her Hot Licks video you can hear her swinging HARD. I don't think of Emily Remler as the best female jazz guitarist; I think of her as simply one of the BEST jass guitarists ever.

Like Lenny Breau, it is a shame that Emily Remler suffered from addiction.

BIG LOSSES.
jlart

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! @greentone I did'nt go as far but, u nailed it she was one of THE BEST.

We lost so many great talents to addiction I guess thats the price for riding the wave of fame.

TC,
JLart
greentone

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remler used to sit in with the Great Guitars--Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, and Charlie Byrd. Remler would fill in for whichever guy would be unable to tour at that point. Now, those guys could swing HARD. They had serious senses of rhythm. Arguably, Herb Ellis was the second-best oomping guitarist behind the great Freddie Green.

Emily Remler could hang with the big dogs, just fine. Her sense of rhythm was a mile wide an deep, deep, deep. She also played great with her Berklee classmate, John Scofield.

I would rate Remler's innate feel for rhythm right up there with Joe Pass. Their senses of swing strike me as quite comparable. Both are great places to study jazz feel, IMO.
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, uh, drop the "good for a girl" mentality.
greentone

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! Remler reported running into the "not bad for a girl" stuff all the time. She claimed that musicians actually didn't trust her sense of time because she was a girl. Too bad because Emily Remler was simply a first rate musician.

Frankly, I think all of us guitarists run into a bias from other musicians that we have suspect time. There's just something about producing sound on the guitar that makes it less "pocket," at least in the minds of other musicians than other instruments.

That said, Remler was a rock--you can feel her time and it feels right.
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a part at the end of one of her hot licks videos where she just talks to the camera about practicing and working and loving the music, and it's downright moving. just the passion she had for the music was so strongly expressed that I find that little spiel as valuable as any technical stuff she had demonstrated during the preceding hour. and "girl" has nothing to do with it. Cool
Andrew Roblin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Darryl--

Thanks for posting the link to the Emily Remler lesson.

Very inspiring!
planetguy

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re. that bit at the end of her video....that is truly a beautiful moment and i'm not ashamed to say i totally teared up when i saw that.
hobersmith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emily Remler lesson was so great, i didn't knew she was such a good teacher. Thanks a lot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: