PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II vs. ES-175 Reissue-thoughts?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masterforrest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II vs. ES-175 Reissue-thoughts? Reply with quote

Anybody tried playing both of these? Any thoughts as to which is the better jazz box? Thanks!
Secret2goodtoneispractice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the ES-175 not only has the tone . . . it IS the TONE!

: )

As far as the Epi JP goes, I have never heard one I liked, even when Joe Pass played it . . .

: (

However, that's just one opinion . . . and it is not an arguable one . . . just a simple opinion from one person's perspective . . .

If you disagree, that's cool, I respect your experience and perspective, and I believe you . . .

; )

Last edited by Secret2goodtoneispractice on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
masterforrest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify.... He is referring to the Gibson ES-175 and not the Epiphone ES-175 Reissue.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK . . . so if I were in a music store, I would only try the Epiphone ES-175 reissue . . . I wouldn't bother with the JP model . . . only because I have played many, and have never been impressed with quality of build or tone . . . that's just my experience . . . and not to say that someone wouldn't be happy with the JP . . . it's just not for me ; )
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure joe pass never played an epiphone joe pass model.
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an instructional video where he plays one . . . hence my comment ; )

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9116478938070358605#

In the clip, Joe's playing is great. His tone, to me, is like that of an unamplified archtop . . . yet he appears to be plugged in, and there is no mic apparent in front of the guitar . . . it's a tinny, weak, trebly tone . . . about as far away from an ES-175 as you can get . . . no smoke . . . no darkness . . . no percussion. . . I have solid bodies that sound better than that Epi JP . . . If Joe can't make it sound good, nobody can . . .
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's between a Gibson ES-175 and an Epiphone [anything]? I'm not a proponent of Gibson, but limited to that choice, I don't see how there's even any question.
voodobop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS,

I think he is talking about the Epiphone ES 175 Reissue.

I have played both guitars. They are both crap ass pieces of junk. I have owned the Joe Pass. Played the ES 175 in a shop.
voodobop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=263&CollectionID=1

What you are getting with either of these guitars is the following..

-Something good for playing in a canoe

-Something good to lend to your 5 year old nephew

-Something you can leave in your car in the summer time.

-A great instrument to pass around to bros at a keg party.

In summary, these guitars are disposable pieces of shit that you have the dishonor of paying several hundered dollars for.
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterforrest wrote:
Just to clarify.... He is referring to the Gibson ES-175 and not the Epiphone ES-175 Reissue.
That's why I didn't respond until after that post. On second look, I guess he was actually referring to Secret2...'s post and not his own.
planetguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd go with the IBANEZ Joe Pass model...the JP10? Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP 20: http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/40U-4885.htm

Not my favorite, due to pickup placement. However, it's reported by JP to be a copy of JP's D'Aquisto, which JP stated as being a "plywood box."
MangoTango

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Epi Joe Pass (Korean, built by Samick, I think '92). Recently I heard someone playing a recent JP and couldn't believe how bad it sounded. So I asked for a little play, and found it to be an awful guitar. Ignoring set-up and string differences, it felt rough and half-finished, with a thin and feeble sound no matter what I did.

When I got home, I tried mine. Different gravy. Yes, I know that mine is set up right for me, but it's just a better guitar. No rough frets, no dodgy binding, just a smooth feel and a better acoustic tone.

So on that basis I would say...neither. Look for something decent second-hand instead.
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret2goodtoneispractice wrote:
I have an instructional video where he plays one . . . hence my comment ; )

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9116478938070358605#

In the clip, Joe's playing is great. His tone, to me, is like that of an unamplified archtop . . . yet he appears to be plugged in, and there is no mic apparent in front of the guitar . . . it's a tinny, weak, trebly tone . . . about as far away from an ES-175 as you can get . . . no smoke . . . no darkness . . . no percussion. . . I have solid bodies that sound better than that Epi JP . . . If Joe can't make it sound good, nobody can . . .

I did a little research on this, because i was sure I was right--and it turns out, we're both kinda right.

I guess joe endorsed the epiphone emperor II model in late '93. After he died, it was renamed the Joe Pass Emperor II, and his signature was emblazoned on the pickguard.

My guess is what you are hearing is a lot of the unamplified tone of the guitar in that video. Some of those instructional videos are pretty low budget, so as long as the sound wasn't clipping the meters it was a go.

I've never considered Joe a connoisseur of good tones, really, he recorded with some abysmal ones over the course of his career.

At the end of the day, you've got two laminted, two pickup cutaway models by the same manufacturer. I think the end choice comes down to, what do you think is prettier?

Neither would be on my shortlist for a purchase...I've already learned my Epiphone lesson, and I had a "good" one (made in Korea)
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
greentone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early (90s) models were better built and better sounding. That said, I'd bet the bank that Arlen Roth just provided Joe Pass a plane ticket. Joe showed up and Arlen handed him a Joe Pass Epiphone, plugged into Arlen's Peavey amplifer--you can make it out in the video.

The sound is acceptable, but not one of Joe's more memorable gigs. At that point, Joe wasn't a well man--the tone of his rig was the least of his concerns. At the end of the tape, he got on a plane and went home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: