PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with TAB reading!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Help with TAB reading! Reply with quote

Okay. I know this sounds a little backward.

I was going through the "Altered Dominant Licks" thread, or at least, I was trying to.
I'm having a very difficult time figuring out the rhythmic component of the TAB. Is there one?
Some of the licks are very straight forward... all eighths, obvious triplets. etc... but some of them have me baffled! Embarassed

Can anyone here offer me some advice on how to figure out the TAB thing, or perhaps suggest a link I can go to to figure it out?

I searched the forum and found lots of interesting discussion about TAB v Notation, that showed a lot of people don't like TAB, but then I see the some of these people have posted TABs on the thread????
Is it possible to post notation?

Help!
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cause of not liking TAB is often the belief it doesn't help a person learn how to read music who should learn to read music. Another thing that makes tab bad is if you're really not familiar with the tune it can be more difficult to derive how it's expected to sound.

TAB notation isn't absolutely standardized and so it's not consistant but generally it's simple. How many notes played in a bar appear as individual notes. How these notes appear can be different (ie bigger or smaller representing duration). Often notes are represented as numbers on a line showing the string and fret of the note being played...aka fingering.

The best thing tab is for is learning how to mimic how a partically piece/phrase/tune is played by an individual.

Hope it helps a little? Confused

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
RonD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gorecki,

My main issue is the difficulty I'm having interpreting the licks posted in the aforementioned thread.
I wondered if the dashes between numbers had a rhythmic connotation.
They don't seem to in some cases.
I could probably analyze them and figure it out but... I'm just looking for a quick fix of new ideas to steal... er, I mean borrow! Wink
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc most of those lines were either eighths or the author specified the rhythm. There is no rhythmic component in standard tab - it's somewhat up to the author to find a way to communicate the rhythm.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD wrote:
Thanks Gorecki,

My main issue is the difficulty I'm having interpreting the licks posted in the aforementioned thread.
I wondered if the dashes between numbers had a rhythmic connotation.
They don't seem to in some cases.
I could probably analyze them and figure it out but... I'm just looking for a quick fix of new ideas to steal... er, I mean borrow! Wink

Steal away!!! That's what most of this stuff is. Twisted Evil

The dashes are just trying to represent the string between notes. Now often people will use / to represent a slide, ie 6--/9. Otherwise no meaning. Wink

M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
There is no rhythmic component in standard tab ...

This. It's the big downfall for tablature - no convenient way to indicate rhythm. If you can read, reading is much faster than deciphering tab, IMHO.
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before I got more serious about jazz playing and related study, I was an ear player and used tab a lot. to get the most out of tab, you really need a recording to reference so you can fill in rhythmic elements on your own. it can be helpful but only in a limited way. in the case of examples posted here, I think you can only expect to get the basic vocab, and what I would suggest is play with different rhythmic values to see what works best. they're mostly exercises anyway, so this might have some value. but I agree with others who suggest that the best way to indicate all the music--the rhythm and melody and harmony, is via standard written music notation. it's totally worth the effort to learn. even as prevalent as tab is, it's tiny compared with the enormous library of music available in standard notation. and everybody knows that enormous is better than tiny. Cool
greentone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with M. I have always been something of a schitzophrenic player. As a guitarist, I was always an "ear" player. As a bassist--principally upright, but also electric--I learned to read music. Over time, I learned to read guitar music, too. Still, things come easier to me by ear.

The point I wish to make, however, is this: tablature has--essentially--no agreed upon convention for conveying rhythm, key signature, and changes in each within a tune. You'd really sort of have to have heard a tune in order to pick it up from tab. Sheet music, on the other hand, is written such that it is possible simply to pick up a chart and run with it. Studio musicians (an endangered species) and orchestras do this all the time. In the orchestra I play with, we are expected to play what the conductor passes out. This would be impractical with tab.

My advice: tablature is like training wheels--learn to ride without them.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys might be taking the wrong ball and running with it. My impression from the original poster is actually that he is familiar with standard notation but not familiar with tab. He just wants to be able to play some of the examples in one of the threads, examples that were written out in tab.
M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
I think you guys might be taking the wrong ball and running with it. My impression from the original poster is actually that he is familiar with standard notation but not familiar with tab. He just wants to be able to play some of the examples in one of the threads, examples that were written out in tab.

We were bored and wanted to expand the conversation. Wink
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAB vs. STANDARD NOTATION

THE FINAL BATTLE

ON PAYPERVIEW

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Fight?!? Thumbs Up!

Placing bets on notiation for a knockout! Twisted Evil

RonD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:

Hey Jake, you're right. I have a degree in music. Notation I can do, tab...
I've seen examples of tab with rhythmic indications in some guitar mags.
I wonder why this isn't the norm?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD wrote:

My first thought is the entire purpose of tab is to provide the ability for someone to learn how to mimic something but not actually learn anything. Laughing

RonD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
RonD wrote:

My first thought is the entire purpose of tab is to provide the ability for someone to learn how to mimic something but not actually learn anything. Laughing

Ooohh! Fightin words! Wink
Gorecki, I'm kidding!
I actually like this TAB thing. It perpetuates illiteracy amongst guitar players, therefore... more gigs for me! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: