PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Mclaughlin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tung

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: John Mclaughlin Reply with quote

Your thoughts about the man?
I've been getting back into him a lot lately, mainly because I just bought a big McLaughlin package from Abstract Logic. He just seems to get better with age.
I was not a fan of JM when i first got into jazz, but since the 90s until now, he just reached a level of maturity that seasoned jazz players got to after many years of experience.
JM and Benson, proved that jazz gets better with age. Total longevity.
M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much in agreement with you, Tung. I dug JM from the early MO days; but there was a cut on Johnny McLaughlin, electric guitarist (the changes were based on Giant Steps), that was obviously a step to the next level ... er ... as if MO wasn't already ground-breaking.

Since then, he's done some of his most impressive stuff as a player, IMHO. I thought The Heart of Things, Industrial Zen, and Floating Point were excellent, for example.

I saw the Heart of Things line-up at a little venue here in VA. Phenomenal.

I'm obviously a fan-boy!
Tung

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M wrote:
Very much in agreement with you, Tung. I dug JM from the early MO days; but there was a cut on Johnny McLaughlin, electric guitarist (the changes were based on Giant Steps), that was obviously a step to the next level ... er ... as if MO wasn't already ground-breaking.

Early JM was great, but his technique and tone was was not as good back in MO period. Actually the first time i heard of JM was "Friday Night In San Francisco", just a big shredding fest, I was impressed by the chops but not much else.
But now JM is a total musician, his lines are well constructed and his technique, especially his right hand is flawless.
Have you check out "Five Peace Band" with JM and Chick corea? Devastatingly good.
M

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tung wrote:
Have you check out "Five Peace Band" with JM and Chick corea? Devastatingly good.

The three I mentioned were the last three I purchased; but I see there's some newer material out. Love CC, so I need to hear some Five Peace!
lgiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Mac is tops with me, as you might have guessed.

i wasn't wild about five peace though, i must admit. too much collaboration/compromise with Chick.

John is in his element when he is the leader, IMO.

i love his new CD, To The One, which is unabashed jazz-rock fusion. Mondesir is another drummer in a long line of great JM band drummers. the CD sounds great cranked up! but the heart of things was also very good, and After The Rain stands as tremendous.

This video is very entertaining stuff with the great Dennis Chambers taking a free solo. turn it up and watch the whole thing. cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjPND60uEzU&feature=related
Tung

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:

This video is very entertaining stuff with the great Dennis Chambers taking a free solo. turn it up and watch the whole thing. cheers.

you should enjoy John's 4th Band "Live in Belgrade" DVD then, it's mature McLaughlin at his best, he's a little more subdued but there's still some great jazz fusion blowing. On a side note, he even told off some guy in the audience because this guy was on the cell phone, funny Very Happy [/img]
lgiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep i've got it. i think that the material on their new CD adds a lot to the groups' repetoire.

they are on tour this November and December in the states. JM's web site has dates and venues.
steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
Johnny Mac is tops with me, as you might have guessed.

i wasn't wild about five peace though, i must admit. too much collaboration/compromise with Chick.

John is in his element when he is the leader, IMO.

i love his new CD, To The One, which is unabashed jazz-rock fusion. Mondesir is another drummer in a long line of great JM band drummers. the CD sounds great cranked up! but the heart of things was also very good, and After The Rain stands as tremendous.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, JM's After the Rain is awesome. If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favour.
I once transcribed the first couple of choruses of his Take the Coltrane and was blown away by his genious. Having said that I'm not a big fan of everything he's done.
lgiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well is there anything else that you like from him? (BTW, its kind of expensive but the Montreux sessions box set includes a lot of that power trio, and a lot of it is smokin'. and Dennis Chambers was a very exciting replacement for Elvin Jones)
steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lgiro

That's a tough one for me to answer because I love his playing (he'd be one of my favourite guitarists) but I seldom appreciate his brand of music.
I'm not a big fusion fan (more a problem with the tones than just the style). I have the same problem with Chick Corea. Awesome player, but his music is not my bag. Incidently I saw Chick and Mclaughlin live here in Perth last year or the year before with Brian Blade, Christian McBride and Kenny Garret. Great concert.

Thanks for the box set tip, I will check it out. I love most of what I've heard when he plays more straight ahead jazz (swing/ standards), and I love his playing on Manha De Carnival from the widley trio. It was the acoustic trio where I first discovered him many years ago, and always thought his playing stood out as more melodic and organic.

This thread has however caused me to further investigate him, and I have discovered The Free Spirits - Tokyo Live, which is right up my alley!

cheers
lgiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have that one too.

not to be disagreeable but just FYI - the Montreux concerts Free Spirits tops it by a considerable margin - IMO of course.

One excerpt, very nicely played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faAmhCDfI48

McLaughlin was inspired if not a bit measured in that version (which bears up well to repeated listenings BTW). The Dennis Chambers solo was skipped over in that vid in '93 but it is on the box set and is great fun.

Here in '95 the same tune is shown with Chambers (and McLaughlin) playing with even more fire.

Tung

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:

One excerpt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faAmhCDfI48

great clip, what a cool trio. The rhythmic interplay is awesome, Dennis Chambers is on fire.
Who is the B3 player? John seemed to really fed off these guys and played a little more groove oriented. Cool
M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tung wrote:

Who is the B3 player? John seemed to really fed off these guys and played a little more groove oriented. Cool

Isn't that Joey DeFrancesco? I saw this lineup in Ann Arbor, MI in the late '90s. Cool show.
lgiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Joey D. monstrous B3 player.
M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Joey D. leading an organ/guitar/drums trio (sometime within the past 3-4 years) ... Incredible.

I can only imagine what it must feel like to have that much facility on your instrument. Wow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: