PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting into a good Jazz Guitar program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masterforrest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Getting into a good Jazz Guitar program Reply with quote

I want to major in music. What's the odds of getting into a good Jazz Guitar program? How many people audition and how many are selected? How do I prepare? My secondary instrument is the double bass, and I'm thinking of also auditioning with that (just in case). Any tips? Thanks.
M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the times, I'm guessing your odds would be great -- as in, "Can you afford tuition? You're in!"

Quite often, you can enter a music program with even a questionable degree of music experience. You won't get into the good ensembles or top classes; but you can test the waters.

I'm not saying this is true of all colleges, but there *is* a certain degree of economics at play.
masterforrest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I love music and playing so much that I just can't help myself. I am a high school junior. I have been playing guitar for 9 years and play with my high school jazz group. I started attending jazz camps 4-5 years ago (Jamey Aebersold camp in Louisville was amazing). I have also been playing upright bass for at least 7 years (I play bass with my high school's jazz and orchestra groups). I have a decent understanding of music theory and will be taking the Advanced Placement music theory course in high school this year. As for location, I am flexible.

Also, I thank others in advance for sharing info on this thread.
chordspinner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep with the bass. You'll never regret it. There's 10,433 gittar pickers in Nashville.

"You're either at the gig or waiting to go to the gig."
M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterforrest wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I love music and playing so much that I just can't help myself. I am a high school junior. I have been playing guitar for 9 years and play with my high school jazz group. I started attending jazz camps 4-5 years ago (Jamey Aebersold camp in Louisville was amazing). I have also been playing upright bass for at least 7 years (I play bass with my high school's jazz and orchestra groups). I have a decent understanding of music theory and will be taking the Advanced Placement music theory course in high school this year. As for location, I am flexible.

Also, I thank others in advance for sharing info on this thread.

You're going to have no problem getting in to a program. Have you considered any of the summer programs (as trials, perhaps)? I'm thinking Berklee used to have summer "camp" types of things. Other schools likely do, too. You could get a feel for the areas and for the schools by doing some summer things. You still have a summer or two ...
voodobop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to got to a place where the local jazz scene is good. You could go to a place like North Texas but there is no jazz scene. I would recommend the University of New Orleans. I think it is the best place to go if you want to gain real world experience. The audition process there is more to determine class placement than to decide if you will be accepted and how much scholarship to give you. Tuition is not expensive and New Orleans is the best place in the world for amateur and working jazz musicians. Im not sure if it still is but the Monk Institute was most recently based out of New Orleans at Loyola University.

http://music.uno.edu/

In general, I would strongly recommend university music programs over conservatories as I think its a better education and affords you more opportunities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: