PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

moving from chord to chord

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotty05

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: moving from chord to chord Reply with quote

Hi
I have been focusing on making my lines sound more defined over the different chords when they come up in a tune. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make clear, interesting transitions when moving say in a blues, from the I to IV to the V chord? Scales, tricks, substitutions etc would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Scott
randalljazz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-3 and b9-5. master those (all keys, all string sets, all positions).

then look for other patterns favored by the masters (harold land uses a 5-#5-3 in his solo on joy spring, and some other interesting things...)
chrisj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on your current level. If you are starting out, focus on 3rds and b7ths. The trick here is that when you move the 3 and b7 for the I chord down a half step, you get the reverse for the IV chord. Even regarding a Jazz Blues, check out what happens with the 3rds and b7th for the turnaround (I7-VI7-II7-V7) from the VI chord, the 3rds and b7th move down in half steps.

If you are more advanced, you can mix up scales. Lydian dominant is a great sound for the individual dominant chords.

If you aren't quite ready for LD, you can go with mixolydian for the individual chord. Here is a video of me describing it for a lesson on my site. Granted it is more of a fusion thing more so than jazz but you'll get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisj64?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/NUspO9p5frI

The blues thing is at about 9:30 on the video.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: