PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whats going on?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: whats going on? Reply with quote

hi everyone, if there is anyone ,I have logged on several time over the last week or so and gone to posts since last visit ,and there are none every time , que pasa? robbro
Whirly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think after this post ...
http://www.playjazzguitar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5205
... in 'Hangout, Chat,' folks just wandered off to more active forums.

I'll bet we are all checking here regularly though.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beats the hell out of me what happened. I keep cleaning house but no one's using it. Maybe it's time to close up shop? Doesn't matter to me, I haven't even heard from the guy who owns this place in two years.

Seems we had a time period where some individuals just couldn't manage to get along so they run off to somewhere else (like it's not going to happen there too) and it just went down hill from there.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Jens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pity there used to be quite a lot happening here.

I thought all the arguing got resolved 6 months or so ago?

Jens
randalljazz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only been here a little while...some really nice folks here, some quite knowledgeable and helpful...i check every day...
Jazzy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I also check in quite often, but nothing much happening here.
I don`t know what happened.
PaulD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still check in to see what's going on but just haven't participated for a long time due to my work & travel schedule. I hope this place keeps going. I've met some great people and outstanding players here.

Paul
planetguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think people got tired of that doofus who keeps carping about those string labels! Wink
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but think to a degree this is my fault. I put the vast majority of my energies into monitoring inbound accounts because frankly there are so many it leaves little time for anything else and with the ridiculous amount of filtering applied during account creation still about 50 get through a day where in about 1 in 500 is an actual person wanting access.

But in the mean time, I've run a relatively loose ship on the forum itself with the assumption mature people would generally police themselves. But I'm starting to believe members and passers by have seen or experienced enough situations where people were behaving or treated in some hostile way making the place a complete turnoff.

This is most certainly not the first forum that has suffered from this, actually it's relatively common. Either the forum is so heavily policed people are far more ginger about what they post for fear of being booted it keeps a continuity or there is a *genuine* sense of community within that community and people are more respectful of each other.

Where I believe I have failed is somewhere between not policing the environment strictly enough and not instilling or creating the foundation for people feeling part of a community having a very specialized, personal and passion based interest.

Bottom line this place has some darn good people who are also darn good players and many have been here a long time. These people so often come from a place of humility and objectivity and I can only wish our community as a whole could be (or would have been) more like them.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! I'm the OP of the post to which Whirly refers!

My apologies, gent's, if I'm viewed in any way as the cause of all of this. I'm just trying to find my place, that's all. It's certainly not an expression of any dissatisfaction with the goings on here.

I, too, still check in daily. There's just not much discussion, as has been noted. I need a little more.

Plus, I, personally, am not strictly a jazzer, so I'm looking to meet some other musical needs in addition to feeding the jazz sensibilities.
Whirly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think discord is inevitable with folks like jazzers. We've spent years, decades, a lifetime, learning a skill. How can we not have strong opinions?

Unfortunately the internet promotes a style of conversation which can seem down right rude. Maybe it's just the written word. Maybe these same conversations, if face-to-face, would be accompanied by big smiles, hand shakes, life time friendships.

Occasional minor discord is a small price to pay for the access to such a large body of knowledge. From people with Passion. I love every word found here.

I wouldn't worry about this good place. It's like a fine guitar, tuned, ready, and at hand. These forums aren't dead. Not even close.
ed norton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on forums cause everything I say seems so insignificant. my position mirrors my increasingly existentialist stance on life in general. I'm not on any of those other forums. I remember saying tons of nice things here, and made some pretty informative posts of which I would stand by, but I'm pretty sure my persona is attached to whatever negativity I put out. There were times when I was in a bad state, and my nerves got the best of me, sorry. I was still smoking weed then, crazed out of my mind, bipolar, and not working hard like I have the past two years.....That said ,I heard worse things said by others.
It became more and more annoying that people seemed to think they know me, when In reality noone does. I'm in Philadelphia and my name aint Ed Norton. It is highly unlikely that anyone knows me unless you sell building supplies or air conditioning equipment.Hope to chat about jazz guitar in the future ,and maybe I'll actually meet one of these cool people I spent so much time conversing with.

Last edited by ed norton on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I've been busy practicing! I used to post more about things I've been working on, but lately been too busy, and my threads usually wouldn't get that much of a response anyway.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, Obviously most folks are still here. Just need to think of some
interesting things to talk about.
Maybe it was those somewhat heated discussions that kept people coming back. Ha!
Anybody have any interesting gigs lately or see anybody play?

Still working on string labels, planetguy.

Hi, Paul D!

Hi, Ed Norton, Jake, Jens and everyone!
cjm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, health issues have caused jazz to take a bit of a back seat for some time and I think this is the first time I've posted anything here for a couple of years...had been gigging four nights a week on the upright bass for several months straight...had to stop that. Had to quit my day job. Had to go on Social Security Disability...Oncologist says "Maybe some part time work next year." Have filled in a few nights since last May, but with surgery, chemo-brain, and all the rest of the happy horse shit, playing a bass feels like driving a Mack truck without power steering.

So, I pretty much have set the bass aside to return to the guitar as much as anything for therapy. 20 minutes on the archtop, an hour in my recliner, and then back for another 20 minutes on the guitar.

Traded an unused practice amp for a headphone amp that I can use with a Peavey JF-1 (ES-335 knock off) for nearly silent practice in my recliner while my wife watches mind numbing "reality TV." After the first of the year we have to move to Seattle for a couple of months so I can go through radiation two hours a day, five days a week, and we'll be in a very small apartment. I foresee going though a mountain of 9 volt batteries with that practice amp.

After that, who knows? One day at a time. If the government's statistics are to be believed I'm at a 94% probability of a dirt nap. If some of the top oncologists on the west coast are right, the odds of a dirt nap drop to 60% and the odds of going back to offending listening audiences again rises to 40%. And if my assessment is correct, given how I have survived my day job for the past 35 years, which involved a lot of work on very large transmitter towers, working by myself in the high mountains in the dead of winter at sites accessible only by snowmobile (and a one night jazz gig in a biker bar), I believe the odds are 99% that I will again inflict my noises on unsuspecting club patrons by late next spring.

But I think I'll set the bass aside to work more or less solely as a side man with the guitar. I love playing swing rhythm and only taking the occasional solo, and I can sit on a regular chair instead of the big tall uncomfortable stool I have to use to play a bass. And in a pinch, maybe I'll get out a fretless slab from time to time if I'm asked nicely, or if I'm being blackmailed.

Anyhow, this long rambling post is mostly just to illustrate how "things change" for people, and how on a very specialized and therefore relatively small forum, activity ebbs and wanes with changing life circumstances of the participants. And, most likely, as the northern hemisphere enters winter, and more people are indoors more often (and near their computers) activity and discussion will pick up here again.

No worries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: