PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whats going on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed norton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm wrote:
For me, health issues have caused jazz to take a bit of a back seat for some time and I think this is the first time I've posted anything here for a couple of years...had been gigging four nights a week on the upright bass for several months straight...had to stop that. Had to quit my day job. Had to go on Social Security Disability...Oncologist says "Maybe some part time work next year." Have filled in a few nights since last May, but with surgery, chemo-brain, and all the rest of the happy horse shit, playing a bass feels like driving a Mack truck without power steering.

So, I pretty much have set the bass aside to return to the guitar as much as anything for therapy. 20 minutes on the archtop, an hour in my recliner, and then back for another 20 minutes on the guitar.

Traded an unused practice amp for a headphone amp that I can use with a Peavey JF-1 (ES-335 knock off) for nearly silent practice in my recliner while my wife watches mind numbing "reality TV." After the first of the year we have to move to Seattle for a couple of months so I can go through radiation two hours a day, five days a week, and we'll be in a very small apartment. I foresee going though a mountain of 9 volt batteries with that practice amp.

After that, who knows? One day at a time. If the government's statistics are to be believed I'm at a 94% probability of a dirt nap. If some of the top oncologists on the west coast are right, the odds of a dirt nap drop to 60% and the odds of going back to offending listening audiences again rises to 40%. And if my assessment is correct, given how I have survived my day job for the past 35 years, which involved a lot of work on very large transmitter towers, working by myself in the high mountains in the dead of winter at sites accessible only by snowmobile (and a one night jazz gig in a biker bar), I believe the odds are 99% that I will again inflict my noises on unsuspecting club patrons by late next spring.

But I think I'll set the bass aside to work more or less solely as a side man with the guitar. I love playing swing rhythm and only taking the occasional solo, and I can sit on a regular chair instead of the big tall uncomfortable stool I have to use to play a bass. And in a pinch, maybe I'll get out a fretless slab from time to time if I'm asked nicely, or if I'm being blackmailed.

Anyhow, this long rambling post is mostly just to illustrate how "things change" for people, and how on a very specialized and therefore relatively small forum, activity ebbs and wanes with changing life circumstances of the participants. And, most likely, as the northern hemisphere enters winter, and more people are indoors more often (and near their computers) activity and discussion will pick up here again.

No worries.

I hope for the best in your recovery. It sounds like you have a strong will that will help you through this fight. keep fighting.
PaulD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm,

Very sorry to hear about your health issues and I wish you the best on your road to recovery. I sincerely hope that you are "back to offending listening audiences again" very soon!!

Paul
Jens

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm,

Sorry to hear about you illness. Good to see that you are determined to beat it! Where there is a will there is a way! Keep fighting.

Jens
randalljazz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm--let me add my wishes for your full and speedy recovery. am humbled by your evident strength in such adversity.
Jazzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cjm,

Sorry to hear about this.
I hope for the best in your recovery.

M
planetguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJM....let me throw my hat in the ring to also wish you the best of luck w what's been tossed upon your plate.

as someone who's been down that path (come Jan. 2 i'll be cancer free for 10 yrs) i can easily recognize someone that's suited up for battle and plans on showing up w game.

go get 'em!
M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second everyone's well wishes, CJM.
cjm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the words of support. It actually does mean a lot.

But I'm sort of embarrassed because it wasn't my intent to whine or garner sympathy...I have a few days to work cisplatin (TM) out of my system before the next round and sitting on my big butt seemed like a good opportunity to pick up my laptop and surf on over here to see what was happening.

When I saw this thread, it just struck me that people's lives constantly change and in small groups a few people's participation or lack thereof makes a big difference. In part, I wanted to encourage Gorecki as the under-appreciated Admin of this site. It's just the natural flow of things.

This site has been a source of enjoyment for me and I've picked up useful tidbits and insights from lurking and occasional exchanges -- some political which I now eschew. Smile

But to return to my original post, and the kind responses: My approach to life has been "Do go not gentle into that good night," and I intend to maintain that to the bitter end.

And that applies to the rest of you as well. Remember, none us of gets out of here alive, so make it count while you're here. Furthering our art is one of the ways to make it count in my not so humble opinion -- no matter what level at which we may practice that art (and mine is not too far above the mud pie stage, but that's more progress than if I didn't work at it).

So get after it! Any day above ground is a good day (unless you like exploring mine shafts) and we don't get as many days as it feels like we will while we're young.

That's just the way it is: don't waste them and you'll live a life well spent.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise and true words, cjm.

Best to you and Hang in! Keep us posted.
lgiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you "eschew", eh? but, do you eschew the ephemeral?

just joshing.

keep fighting cjm. as you say, and as i believe, that is one of the keys to living/survival in the first place.
cjm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you "eschew", eh? but, do you eschew the ephemeral?

To a considerable degree, yes. Priorities change. And tilting with windmills has lost much of its former allure. Besides, since my reference was to politics, even though I've always been what could be described as "uber liberal," it remains that a couple of the closest and best friends I have on earth are quite frankly, far right wingers.

Yesterday was election day here in the States, of course, and I dragged myself out to travel three blocks and vote. Civic responsibility and all that.

But I find myself curiously unconcerned about the outcome. Maybe for the first time in my life. This morning I surfed over to CNN just long enough to determine the GOP took the House and the Dems retained the Senate. But then I thought, so what?

After I work up a bit of energy this morning I'll go back to working out a better chord melody for Misty and for whatever reason that matters more to me now.
jokron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm wrote:
So get after it! Any day above ground is a good day (unless you like exploring mine shafts) and we don't get as many days as it feels like we will while we're young.

That's just the way it is: don't waste them and you'll live a life well spent.

So true...I lost my father last monday... Sad

Life is short, don't waste it!

/Jokron

Miles Davis
M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences, Jokron.
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jokron, I'm very sorry to hear about your father.

Paul
randalljazz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepest sympathy in your hour of loss, jokron. the days of our lives flee away as a breath of wind...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: