PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you guys busy with?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: What are you guys busy with? Reply with quote

Well since most of us are not busy with posting here I thought I'd ask this question. I have been getting a lot of info and inspiration from checking out what people are mentioning here.

Lately I have been transcribing some Ben Monder and Mark Turner. I am especially happy with the Turner stuff. I have been meaning to get around to that for years. I always found his lines beautiful but at the same time I did not understand what he was doing and it did not remind me of other players.

When I finish it I'll put it on my site, but it might take some time. It's a bit long.

Jens
M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested, Jens.

Be forewarned, though ... I posted some transcribed Benson lines and that conversation went nowhere ... ( http://www.playjazzguitar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5194 )
Jens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very interesting. I'll have a look through that tomorrow (I hope).
I guess I never look at that part of the forum, I thought it was only stuff from Chris Standrings books which I don't own.

Jens
peckerwood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been toiling with jazz for a few years but the past 6 months i've committed a ton of time to build a strong foundation. so much of my activity has involved practicing with Band in a box, grabbing riffs from records, anylizing outside sounds and various ways to get them, and PRACTICING MY CHORD INVERSIONS.

i posted an ad on craigslist not too long ago asking for practice partners to do all of the above mentioned things, plus jam over them of course. i got a ton of hits back, found a few amazing players that are really pushing me harder than i ever have before. i was never really interested in chord solos until i saw firsthand the massive amounts of lines and harmonic ideas that can be pulled from knowing your inversions. i'm a born-again Laughing

with that, the chord guy really wants to play out and do gigs in the next six months so i'm also chugging away at learning my standards (yet another thing that i never did much of in the past)
PaulD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been living in a hotel room 4 days a week the majority of the year due to my work travel, so I have been working mostly on solo guitar stuff. I joined Martin Taylor's Guitar Academy and it's been great.

Jens, hope you let us know when your transcriptions are on your site.

Paul
Jens

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@PauldD
The Ben Monder solo is already up there. I hope to get a bit more time later this month to finish the Mark Turner solo.
http://jenslarsen.nl/TranscriptionsEng.html

@Peckerwood:
That sounds great! Playing with people and learning standards

Jens
jokron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm busy playing guitar ...what else is there to do owning a Gibson ES-175 and a Henriksen JazzAmp Wink

Seriously...I'm going through the Real Book Sixth Edition with backing tracks from Aebersold.

Playing heads, comping, soloing instead of reading theory and playing through excercises - a lot more fun and learning what I actually will be playing the day i join a band...if I do...and I get inspiration from recordings with real guitarists on CD's, YouTube and Spotify.

Jokron

Miles Davis
PaulD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens wrote:
@PauldD
The Ben Monder solo is already up there. I hope to get a bit more time later this month to finish the Mark Turner solo.
http://jenslarsen.nl/TranscriptionsEng.html

Jens

Thanks Jens. Great site, by the way.

Paul
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy with:

Lessons

getting more students

Technique

Sight reading

Reviewing my repetoire (I have sort of a 12 step process I'm trying to go through with all of the tunes I know, a lot of it is shit like substitute drop 2 voicings for all keys....for Conception, that takes a long time!)

Trying to hit up more local jams and play with people more

Do all this stuff without neglecting the girlfriend. If it weren't for her I'd have saturdays all to myself Wink

Been also trying to go see more stuff live, seen some great players.
robbro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy with trying to keep a band together, first our vocalist quit, and now our drummer,I just want to play and learn this music. and of course there are always distractions,Im very lucky to have this group of great people to play with,I know a lot of you work by yourselves. and am amazed at how far I've come in seven years . this forum was the first one I got on. I've gotten a lot of encouragement and help here. and would like to see it continue
Jens

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul! I am very happy to hear that since I made it myself Smile

Jake - what's the 12 step program ? Just curious.

Jens
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens wrote:

Jake - what's the 12 step program ? Just curious.

Jens

Jens I don't have the sheet with me but I think it's something like this:

1. Listen to different versions of the tune

2. Learn/memorize the changes and melody well enough to be able to jam on it a little

3. Sing the melody, root motion, and a few different guide tone lines.

4. Make two (simple) chord melody arrangements to it - one where I have to play the root (as if I were playing solo) and one where I have to play voicings and the melody together but no bass note, as if I were playing with a bass player. Given where I'm at at my level of chord melody playing, I let myself do this rubato rather than forcing myself to get both arrangements at tempo, which could be extremely time consuming if I'm just doing it to learn the tune better.

5. Comp the changes with a root/bass note in all 12 keys, then comp the changes without a root bass note in all 12 keys. So I practice playing it as I might play it in a duo with a melodic instrument (it's easier for me to play with the roots first) then I play voicings as if I were playing with a bassist.

6. Play the melody in all 12 keys (depending on the melody I may just skip this step, or only do a few keys)

7. Be able to solo over the tune in at least a few keys.

8. Go through the tune with Brett Wilmot-style drop 2 voicings and very smooth voice leading, even if it means playing it kind of rubato

9. Be able to solo over the tune w non-stop 8th notes at at least a moderate tempo (even on tunes that are supposed to be ballads)

10. Be able to play over the tune medium up to up (220-300+bpm, depending on the tune.) I just realized that I should also try to take every tune really slow too, like 50-90bpm, that can be really challenging and confusing as well.

11. Try block chord-type improv over the tune, basically harmonizing an improvised melody over the changes with four note voicings.

I think that was it. I'm open to any additions or subtractions to this list.
tonyteech

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: What Am I Doing Reply with quote

At 65 I am taking flamenco guitar lessons. Why A lifelong fascination with the topic and at 65 UK govt gives you money, not much but enough to ease off a little So flamenco

The teacher is inspirational - a fantastic player called Steve Homes and a nice guy to boot Adds a zest to life
Jens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jake! It is always interesting to see what people practice. Looks ambitious but good. The only comment that springs to mind for me is that you don't do much with rhythm (Playing through the form in dotted quarters or groups of 5, 7 triplets in groups etc. etc. ) Stuff I like to do a lot myself (which is obviously why I notice.... Smile )

Jens
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens wrote:
Thanks Jake! It is always interesting to see what people practice. Looks ambitious but good. The only comment that springs to mind for me is that you don't do much with rhythm (Playing through the form in dotted quarters or groups of 5, 7 triplets in groups etc. etc. ) Stuff I like to do a lot myself (which is obviously why I notice.... Smile )

Jens

thanks, that is a good point. I did a lot of time related stuff last year, almost to the exclusion of rep, so I'm sort of trying to balance it out. I like playing with the beat a lot, and digging into the 5s and 7s stuff has been on my to-do list for a while. I think the cool thing about that stuff though is once you get it you can apply it to every tune.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: