PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Being A Musician Great Hobby Lousy Career Discuss
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greentone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: making a living in jazz Reply with quote

If you have the reading/rhythm/solo chops, are drug-free, and aren't a pain in the ass--i.e., you can get along with everybody--you CAN make a living in music. I have many friends who have been doing it for years, and my son was a full-time musician for the last six years.

The catch: you have to gravitate to where the market is, both geographically, but especially in terms of musical tastes. You cannot be a full-time practitioner of seventh century pipe music in a barn in the Badlands of the Dakotas--no appreciable audience.

I live in rural America and love the jazz of the 1950s-1970s. There is _some_ audience, but I have to be VERY thoughtful and adaptable in order to gig with any frequency.

When jazz moved to the club scene in the 50s, the economics of the art form forced most musicians into other situations in order to make a living. Tremendous talents like the list you show above worked some cheesy TV show bands in order to put bread on the table. Backing up Merv Griffin was not the blast that backing up Sarah Vaughan was.

I wish I could say I have never played the "Electric Slide" in order to stay on the gigging circuit. However, the people who will politely listen to "Footprints" at a society gig will, at some point, request a clunker like that.

Just some random thoughts...
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all you said there. I'm one of the lucky ones to have played full time for many years. I've also played the "Slide". Ha! We call it car payment music. We also figure that after playing some really sweet gigs, then you have to play a dues gig. Keeps you humble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: