PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forward Motion (book), Hal Galper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Forward Motion (book), Hal Galper Reply with quote

Anybody own it/use it? I've seen it recommended enough times that I decided to pick it up.

I also saw these Hal Galper masterclass videos on youtube that gave me the impression that the gentleman is somebody worth listening to. (they all seem to be easily accessible here: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Hal+Galper#sclient=psy&hl=en&tbm=vid&source=hp&q=Hal+Galper+master+class&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=f&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=b4433ae4a8dbabcd&biw=1024&bih=677

Anyway I'm about half way through just reading it, I haven't tried much of it on the axe yet, but it's really an eye opening look at phrasing. It seems like his basic thesis is that a first step towards good phrasing is to have melodic and rhythmic END points. ENDING and landing phrases on chord tones on strong beats.

This isn't exactly a new idea to me - in high school I was told "chord tones on strong beats, chromatic notes or scale tones on weak beats" but taking the concept several steps further to take about how to end phrases and properly resolve lines seems pretty...inescapably logical and useful...[/url]
PaulD

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't looked at his book, but I've seen these YouTube videos several times and have gotten quite a bit out of them. I agree, he seems like someone worth listening to. I'll probably download the book to my ipad today - thanks for pointing it out.

Paul
Jens

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taught the principle of target notes and making phrases leading to those notes on the 1 and 3. My teacher later gave me a copy of some of Hal Galper's articles from dwonbeat (I think) that was what he had based it on.
It is very solid for building a foundation of harmonically and also melodically strong lines.

I never read his books though.

Jens
PaulD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, I went ahead and purchased the book. Just got through chapter 1 on Melodic forward motion. So far, it's both very interesting and enjoyable reading and his explanations and anecdotes make a lot of sense. I still have not gone into the examples yet since I was reading it on the plane. I'll continue and see where it takes me.

Paul
wkriski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: forward motion Reply with quote

I've had this book for a few years and just recently dug it out again. Most of us know about chord tones on strong beats but he talks approaching these beats with notes rather than starting on these beats. I've seen many examples of solos that start on one or have some type of rhythm that doesn't seem to reflect forward motion per se, unless you are editing notes out in your brain perhaps.

When I initially start using FM I tried to approach chord tones with scale tones and so the solos sounds pretty bland and unmusical. Also trying to do this on the fly at high speeds doesn't generally work unless you've prepared a line ahead of time or really worked on this. I often find that I take ideas from books and am not able to do it a very high speeds because it hasn't been written out and worked on. And when you isolate one particular topic such as scalar approaches it can sound pretty boring, as most solos are a combination of many different things.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean sure, you have to work out the stuff before hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: