PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new travel guitar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: My new travel guitar Reply with quote

I just got a VoyageAir VAOM1C guitar delivered this weekend! My wife gave it to me for Father's Day. These are the guitars that fold in half for easier traveling (it fits in the overhead compartment of a plane) and I've wanted one ever since I first found out about them 2 years ago. I had a little issue getting it - I had ordered it online through a big music retailer and the first one they sent me was missing the saddle on the bridge. I returned it and left a message on VoyageAir's website to tell them how dissapointed I was. I was not expecting a reply, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got a phone call from VoyageAir that very same day (it was the 4th of July holiday weekend too). They really went out of their way to get me another guitar quickly and it's great to see a company with this level of customer service. I travel a lot and this is going to make bringing a full-sized guitar on the road much easier for me. The design is brilliant and guitar itself is outstanding. It's an acoustic with a cutaway and has a spruce top and mohagany sides, back and neck. It's really easy to play and sounds great. Did I mention it folds in half? Smile

ed norton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you need to make adjustments for intonation or just start playing.? It looks like a nightmare, but a good word from you would certainly go a long way. Glad you found a travel guitar you like.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's totally clever! I can see when it's upright it's centered by a pin of sorts? Is there any additional form of latching on the back of the body or doesn't simply stand on its own by string tension?

Cool! Cool

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
PaulD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed norton wrote:
Did you need to make adjustments for intonation or just start playing.? It looks like a nightmare, but a good word from you would certainly go a long way. Glad you found a travel guitar you like.

When I took it out of the box and opened the case, I jokingly said to my 2 sons that the guitar was broken. But then I unfolded it and just played an E major chord, assuming it would be way out of tune. To my (and both my son's) surprise, it was nearly 100% in tune already. No adjustments were needed.

Goreki wrote:
That's totally clever! I can see when it's upright it's centered by a pin of sorts? Is there any additional form of latching on the back of the body or doesn't simply stand on its own by string tension?

Cool! Cool

There's a small pin that it lines up with, and the peg for the strap is actually a screw that you turn to fold/unfold the guitar. It just clicks into place and you tighten the screw. I agree - it's quite a clever design!

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
There's a small pin that it lines up with, and the peg for the strap is actually a screw that you turn to fold/unfold the guitar. It just clicks into place and you tighten the screw. I agree - it's quite a clever design!

That's a cool find! Too many times I've tried the mini guitar thing with limited pleasure. That looks more like a winner! Cool

trotsky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty neat Paul. Wink
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great!
Viper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the slack strings when its folded? It looks a bit messy to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I am still alive but I have very little to say. Cheers eveybody
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
What about the slack strings when its folded? It looks a bit messy to me.

Hi Viper, nice to see you around. The slack strings are no problem at all really. They go right into the sound hole when it folds, and the neck unfolds and snaps back in place very easily without any issue with the strings. I've already taken it on the first plane trip and am really enjoying this guitar at the hotel. I've folded/unfolded it several times now without problems. Had no issue at the airport security check either.

Paul
ed norton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it does go on the plane as carry-on luggage then?
trotsky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Have guitar ...Will Travel!!!"

Nice
I don't know if I will ever understand why 'checking luggage' at the airport has to be such a horrifying experience...
Glad that is working out for you Paul.
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed norton wrote:
So it does go on the plane as carry-on luggage then?

Yes, fits right in the plane's overhead. It also has a detachable laptop/accessory backpack, which I place under the seat. They were definitely thinking of me when they came up with this! Cool

trotsky wrote:
"Have guitar ...Will Travel!!!"

Nice
I don't know if I will ever understand why 'checking luggage' at the airport has to be such a horrifying experience...
Glad that is working out for you Paul.

Fortunately I travel so much that I can go in the priority lines for baggage and security, so it's a little more tolerable. I have it down to an art at this point Very Happy

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trotsky wrote:

Can be pretty much qualified with three little numbers

Okay, three not so little numbers. Wink

trotsky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually ...at the risk of sending this thread in a whole different direction..
I have no issue at all with the security measures at the airport but I have always been a bit of a paranoid er on the side of caution guy anyway...so all that post 911 stuff, while annoying, is at least tolerable with me...
But airlines have been losing and damaging checked items long before we were handing cops our shoes...
Most my fishing buddies ship their expensive fishing gear to the outpost and meet it there rather than risk hearing that the $$$ bamboo flyrod is in pieces or Siberia...
I don't know if could ever have the guts to check my main guitar....'shudder'

Fly the friendly skies indeed
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll help the derailing process a bit more. Laughing

Baggage handling has always been a little short of careful. But ever since they implemented 'baggage search' it got really bad IMO. The very first day they started enforcing baggage search my better half had an important to her, can't be easily replaced item stolen out of her bag with a couple other things. It HAD to be a security *person* who took them taking air travel to a whole new level of this sucks!

So the rule is basically "if you want to keep it, carry it", or as you said otherwise, ship it. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: