PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another good amp for jazz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greentone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Another good amp for jazz Reply with quote

After completing all the amp maintenance around the South 40, I have been playing a rather larger number of amps these days than is typical. Customarily, I play (at home) an ES-175 through a Polytone Mini-Brute. This is a fairly traditional jazz setup and it gets a well known sound--think early-70s Joe Pass/Jim Hall tones. (I didn't say that I had their dexterity, but I CAN cop their tones.) Playing out, I use a Super L-5 copy into a Mini-Brute (jazz) or into a Tweed Deluxe (blues).

For the last month, however, I have been playing Telecasters, Stratocasters, a 335, etc., into Fender Champs, Deluxes, Bassman (Bassmen?), Polytones, an Ampeg, and a Lab Series L5 Gibson amp. It has been a period of reacquaintance. (I am driving the wife mad with the serial reappearance of different instruments and amps, however.)

An observation that I didn't expect: a Tweed Deluxe is neck in neck with a Mini-Brute as a jazz amp with a ES-175. I should have recalled this, but didn't. I have gigged with a Deluxe in jazz settings, but not in some time. In the Normal Channel, on the #2 input, a ES-175 with a humbucker sounds terrific.

GT
trotsky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be very cool to get a chance to try different things like that.
Thanks for the info...if I ever get a chance I will plug into one.
I have been crazy for the gear wants lately and I was think about attending this show
http://www.nashvilleampexpo.com/
My wife is not too crazy about the idea however Rolling Eyes
greentone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. If you go, try to play a Tungsten Cortez. It is a good amp--well made. It is a modern recreation of the Fender Deluxe.

Maybe Clay Hullett will have his amps on display. He has made amps for most of the session guys in Nashville. I have one Deluxe that has a Hullett-made turrett board in it. Hullett does clean, precise work.
trotsky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome ..thanks for the tips!
Gene Wink
ES350

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, a tweed Deluxe was the house amp at Riverside and Blue Note...great sound with P90s but can get a little dark and overdriven with humbuckers.
greentone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the house amp. For humbuckers, plug into the #2 input--either instrument or mic input. On the #2 input--which Fender thought to be the "Gibson" input--you get some headroom, via less input sensitivity. I use the first channel, #2 input with my Deluxe when using my ES-175 (single pickup humbucker) guitar. To me, this is the Blue Note/Kenny Burrell sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: