PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considerations on finger-style in Jazz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paolo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Considerations on finger-style in Jazz Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I live in Brazil and play related stringed instruments, but always had a problem shifting from finger-picking on lute & classical guitars to using plectrum on steel stringed instruments. In my case, the use of a pick would interfere with the right/left hand coordination and right-hand finger independence (mainly affecting the right hand thumb-index coordination/independence so critical for classical guitar). So when playing with a plectrum for extended periods away from the classical guitar, my right hand technique would suffer quite a lot (getting back to a classical guitar would feel like playing piano keys with drum sticks). The nuance would be gone and the left hand touch would be out of balance.

So after a period of few years just playing classical guitar, I got the jazz box up again, this time no pick (nor thumb pick), just fingertips (with nails) and kept it this way for months now. It has been an incredible experience, since now I can switch back and forth from nylon to steel and be mostly "at home" and I feel the technical work on each type of instrument feeding from each other in a synergistic way. Other than jazz, blues, etc. I am having lots of fun playing Weiss, Bach, Villa-Lobos, Brower, Sor, etc. on a archtop through an amp!!! For me it also has helped improving a lot the musical side of playing jazz, since all came together.

Moreover, there is this incredible universe of great musicians playing finger-style jazz&all on steel stringed instruments, which has been a pleasure to be get better aware of and motivated by.

I would like to exchange thoughts and appreciate suggestions from people striding along a similar path.

Cheers, paolo
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, finger style. Works great for me on 7-string.
greentone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: using fingers Reply with quote

Like Joe Pass, I use my fingers much of the time and the pick some of the time. Unlike Joe Pass, I am not the Charlie Parker of the jazz guitar. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: